How does the uncertainty surrounding Riley affect recruiting?

Red_Payne

11 hours ago, Red_Payne said:

Will recruits really want to commit to NU, with all the uncertainty surrounding the program?

Will recruits recruits even seriously consider NU as a viable option until a long-term decision is made at AD and HC?

I really don't like the idea of firing Riley mid-season (unless he loses the next two games), but I think recruiting may take a hit; as many recruits may believe (as most of us do) that MR's day are pretty much numbered in Lincoln. I would believe it would be tough to commit to a program in which I don't know who the HC is going to be.

Maybe NU has a HUGE name splash hire in mind that would (hopefully) bolster the recruiting class late. (That's what I'm hoping for).

Thoughts?

Recruiting is going to get hit now regardless. All I heard on talk radio on Sirius today was that this is a signal that Riley is a lame duck. We can argue whether or not that is true but that is the national perception right now and the one that will filter down to recruits. Riley is pretty much doomed at this point

57 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

If a coaching change was made this season that would be two makeshift classes in 4 years.  MR recruited guys to fit his system in 16 and 17', no guarantee they'd fit a new coaches system nearly as well so really you're looking at 3 to 4 classes.

Recruiting is more than just talent, it's how that talent fits the system, and it's also about building depth in that system.  Then comes the development aspect of the players in a system which happens over the 4-5 years they play in it.  Each year there is improvement, growth, and mastery.  Changing systems wipes that all away and starts us back at scratch.  

Along with the redshirt freshman and this years class, we will be rewarded in the near future if we can remain patient and allow the growing process to take place.

That's nothing more than pure speculation. If your coaches can't put players in a position to succeed then it becomes a rather moot point how talented they are and how well they fit a system. 

• Plus1 1
52 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

That's nothing more than pure speculation. If your coaches can't put players in a position to succeed then it becomes a rather moot point how talented they are and how well they fit a system. 

Charlie Strong coached 3 losing seasons in a row at Texas.  According to your speculation, it's because he doesn't know how to put players in a position to succeed.

How do you reconcile that with the fact he went 11-2 and 12-1 the two seasons prior to Texas and is now 4-0 post Texas?

Your point is a great message board one liner but lacks any meat or reality. 

Systems do matter, putting the right pieces in place for a given system matters, and then giving those pieces the time/experience to master the system matters most of all.

1 hour ago, LaunchCode said:

According to your speculation, it's because he doesn't know how to put players in a position to succeed.

Your point is a great message board one liner but lacks any meat or reality. 

Never said that. It was rather obvious my comments were pertaining to Riley/Langs/Diaco. And if you visit Mav's thread there's plenty of 'meat' to back up those claims. 

35 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

Never said that. It was rather obvious my comments were pertaining to Riley/Langs/Diaco. And if you visit Mav's thread there's plenty of 'meat' to back up those claims. 

I brought up Strong because Texas fans made the exact same claims and offered up plenty of "meat" too.  They were wrong.

4 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

It would be a lot more than "just one" recruiting class that would be disrupted.  2015 was a makeshift class.  If a coaching change was made this season that would be two makeshift classes in 4 years.  MR recruited guys to fit his system in 16 and 17', no guarantee they'd fit a new coaches system nearly as well so really you're looking at 3 to 4 classes.

One only need look at Iowa to see the importance of continuity and patience paying off.  Ferentz went 11-24 his first three seasons.  He then went 31-7 and won two conference titles in the next three years. 

Year four 11-2 (8-0) Conference title

Year five 10-3

Year six 10-2 (7-1) Conference title

Recruiting is more than just talent, it's how that talent fits the system, and it's also about building depth in that system.  Then comes the development aspect of the players in a system which happens over the 4-5 years they play in it.  Each year there is improvement, growth, and mastery.  Changing systems wipes that all away and starts us back at scratch.  You don't plant corn and expect to harvest it a week later.  Sure you can demand it ripen faster, fire the farmer for it not ripening faster, and replace him with a new farmer, but the corn isn't going to ripen any faster. 

The young guys who are playing are playing right now are bright spots:  Lamar Jackson, Tre Bryant, Tyjon Lindsey, Raridon, Farniok,  Spielman,  Ferguson, Bootle, Thomas, and the Davis boys.

Along with the redshirt freshman and this years class, we will be rewarded in the near future if we can remain patient and allow the growing process to take place.

I agree with your points save this. This is year 3 and our results looks worse...This is not talent, it's coaches.....Unsure how much giving growth and patience will work when we are a dumpster fire now.....

43 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

I brought up Strong because Texas fans made the exact same claims and offered up plenty of "meat" too.  They were wrong.

How were they wrong? He had 3 losing seasons at Texas. You use 2 good seasons as proof at a completely different school when he had a future 1st round QB and was playing in a dilapidated Big East and the AAC. He has 4 wins against teams that ended the season ranked. His 4-0 start as USF proves nothing when he inherited a ranked team with a weak beginning schedule. None of that matters though. 3 losing seasons in a row is enough to get you fired at any blue blood school.

3 hours ago, lo country said:

I agree with your points save this. This is year 3 and our results looks worse...This is not talent, it's coaches.....Unsure how much giving growth and patience will work when we are a dumpster fire now.....

This is year one of a new starting QB, and new DC.   Message board hyperbole aside, we are literally a few picks away from  3-0.