Possible Coaches

14 hours ago, Nobody said:

riley's job is beyond hot....

updated version of available coaches for more context of the evolving situation..

Scott Frost - Maybe

Chip Kelly - No

Les Miles - No 

David Shaw Yes

Paul Johnson - No

Chris Peterson - Yes

Dan Mullen - Yes

Gus Mulzahn - No

Mark Helfrich - No

Charlie Strong - HELL No

Tom Herman - Hell Yes!!

David Patterson - Did you mean Gary Patterson?? lol

Clay Helton - No

Brian Kelly - No

Jeff Brohm - Yes

DJ Durkin - Maybe

Matt Canada - No

Dave Aranda - Maybe

Bob Stoops - No

PJ Fleck - Yes

Steve Sarkisian

Lane Kiffin

anybody on the possible dream list add below and ill update this post

My feedback on your original list is in red.

I would consider 9 of these folks, with 6 absolutes who I would take. Realistically, if the search were conducted at the end of the season, of those six, I see 3 who I believe would listen (Mullen, Brohm, and Fleck). It would be awkward for Brohm and Fleck to leave seeing as how both of them just got at their new gig, but hey, you never know.

David Shaw would be an absolutely bad ass hire, but he isn't leaving the West Coast.

Frost will obviously would get a look if UCF takes another step forward this year. Had quite a turnaround in year-one taking a winless team to bowl eligibility.

Chip Kelly is obviously more suited to college but word is he gets sick of recruiting and dealing with boosters. Hard to say what he will do. 

We don't need to be hiring another coach approaching retirement age  and LSU is significantly easier to win at than Neb, I'll pass.

Shaw is Stanford through and through. he isn't leaving for any other college. 

Everything went right for There is a ceiling for Paul Johnson's teams, pass. 

Malzahn is one of those "one year wonder" coaches where everything fell his way for a season. Overall he OK but nothing great. He wouldn't leave Aubie for us anyway, and don't want him if he gets canned. 

Mullen is supposedly a bad interview and that has hurt him in terms of getting other jobs. He does have security in Starksville, stay usually above .500 and you are a hero. He would be a possibility though.

Helfrich and Herman already showed they weren't ready, pass

I'd imagine Patterson has passed on some good jobs after all these years of TCU success, but wouldn't hurt to send out feelers. 

Would have no problem with being dicks and raiding in-con for a new coach. Durkin, Brohm, and Fleck are all good coaches. 

Maybe Stoops comes back to coaching, but I think he tries retirement for a bit. 

Aranda is certainly one of the better coordinators in the country but Canada still has proving to do to be considered for a job of this level. IMO either should go earn their HC wings at a good mid-major or meh major-con program first. 

One guy that could develop as a hot name is former Wiscy DC and new Cal coach Justin Wilcox. He has them playing good ball right out of the  gate, beat NC and Ole Miss. 

48 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

1. Frost

2. Calhoun

3. Johnson

4. Leach

5. Patterson

6. Niumatolo

7. Gill

8. Mike Norvell

9. Monken

10.Bohl

11.Rocky Long

I hope this was just a list put together for laughs b/c it sucks. 1 and 5 are only ones worth talking about, the rest are big fat NOs!

2 hours ago, Jeremy said:

Norvell and Long are doing good things at their respective institutions. Remains to be seen with Gill.  The rest are more tongue in cheek, but I personally wouldn't mind any of these guys.

Gill has succeeded wherever he's gone save for Kansas, and when you have boosters undermining your authority because of your history of playing for Nebraska and casting racially-based dispersions about you and your character because you have a white wife...yeah, Gill never got a fair shake at Kansas. His other stops borne success, and I'd dare say if he's hired to coach a FBS school that isn't as backward as Kansas (or their fans), he'd continue to succeed.

Having said this, I don't think Gill would be a good fit for what we have on hand--if we're looking for a long-term rebuild, then perhaps, but not if we're trying to turn this thing around in a year or two tops. 

---

Also, what about Greg Schiano? He resurrected Rutgers from being a 0-fer team with a run-oriented offense before he left to try his hand at the NFL. 

• BIGREDIOWAN changed the title to Possible Coaches