Possible Coaches

I'm high on Frost. Gary Patterson is my #1 choice, but Frost is #1a.

Watching the way he's transformed the team over the last season and change is remarkable. Granted I didn't watch any of their winless season, but just from Frost's first game to now is an overwhelming improvement.

If he could take the reigns and improve NU even half as much as he did UCF over two seasons, I have to think we would at least be in the B1G title game in 2019.

• Plus1 1

It's becoming more apparent to me that NU needs to seriously consider Frost. He doesn't have a ton of head coaching experience, but look at what he's doing at UCF. Patterson is another great option that's been mentioned. They can't get this selection wrong, if they do we are screwed for a long time. It's time to climb out of this abyss we're currently in and get back to the level we belong. 

• Plus1 1

Question, would you want to bring in a new coach for next season?  Games at Ann Arbor, at Columbus, at Madison, at Iowa City plus a good Colorado team coming to Lincoln.

Would it make more sense to have Riley be a sacrificial lamb next season and take on that gauntlet or bring in a new coach trying to install his system and culture only to have the team beaten down?   Almost makes more sense to give Riley another season because the 19 schedule isn't a bad schedule to be working on a new philosophy.   Doing that Nebraska may lose out on Frost, but no one will accuse Nebraska of not giving Riley ample opportunity with 4 seasons.

I personally don't think so as that's just another year we're behind heading in the right direction. Of course that schedule is a gauntlet and any challenge to any team, but I think the expectations with that schedule would be an 8-4 or 9-3 season is pretty damn good considering how tough it is. Of course we'll all want to be competitive in every game, but I think we all realize there is about zero way we would go undefeated or win 10 or 11 games with that schedule. 

If we do hire a new head coach whoever that is needs to understand what we have here right now for players. Meaning they need to be flexible with what they're trying to do and understand that it might take some slow turning of the ship to get it headed in the right direction. Don't be stubborn and try and take a throwing QB and run him in a zone read offense as an example or vise versa. Work with what you have, recruit what you need, slowly turn it that way. 

The Frost haters will tell you that UCF wasn't that bad when he got there...even though they went 0-12

Someone asked about a new offense and having to go play Michigan next year...well Frost took his new offense to Michigan last year and if I remember correctly the offense did okay.

I would rather buy early with Frost than I would miss out.  They are not just beating teams right now...they are f'ing them up

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, sho said:

Question, would you want to bring in a new coach for next season?  Games at Ann Arbor, at Columbus, at Madison, at Iowa City plus a good Colorado team coming to Lincoln.

Would it make more sense to have Riley be a sacrificial lamb next season and take on that gauntlet or bring in a new coach trying to install his system and culture only to have the team beaten down?   Almost makes more sense to give Riley another season because the 19 schedule isn't a bad schedule to be working on a new philosophy.   Doing that Nebraska may lose out on Frost, but no one will accuse Nebraska of not giving Riley ample opportunity with 4 seasons.

No, it wouldn't make more sense.

• Plus1 2
  • BIGREDIOWAN changed the title to Possible Coaches