Possible Coaches

53 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Hearing rumblings that Frost has already made it clear that he won't be a candidate for the job. 

I know who is spreading this around and who is pretending to have confirmed it. The guy pretending to confirm it is not an insider at all. I know his username on another board and he went to Scout and is pretending to be an insider. 

So many people pretend to know exactly what is taking place - who the AD is, who the AD is not, Riley is fired, Riley is not fired, Frost telling people no, Frost telling people yes, and so much more. They always end up being wrong. Why? Because they don't have real information. 

2 minutes ago, jessica0 said:

I know who is spreading this around and who is pretending to have confirmed it. The guy pretending to confirm it is not an insider at all. I know his username on another board and he went to Scout and is pretending to be an insider. 

So many people pretend to know exactly what is taking place - who the AD is, who the AD is not, Riley is fired, Riley is not fired, Frost telling people no, Frost telling people yes, and so much more. They always end up being wrong. Why? Because they don't have real information. 

That's why we're in the rumor forum. 

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, jessica0 said:

Hell, some people in the know end up being wrong. When I was in sports journalism, we had several sources with extensive access/knowledge of the inner workings of the program, and they would sometimes disagree. That's why we would never go with it until we had two sources tell us the same thing.

On 10/10/2017 at 10:14 PM, jessica0 said:

Scott Frost - hell yes. Should be the top target. 

Chip Kelly - I would go after him. Give a big offer and make him say no. 

Les Miles  - no. 

David Shaw - wouldn't be against it, but he is staying at Stanford. 

Paul Johnson - no. Too old and doesn't recruit at a high level. 

Chris Peterson - we missed our chance previously. 

Dan Mullen - hell no. He is another Mike Riley

Gus Mulzahn - he wouldn't come so don't bother. 

Kyle Whittingham - wouldn't be against it. 

Jeremy Pruitt - Seriously? 

Mark Helfrich - No 

Justin Fuente - He isn't coming but you should ask. 

Justin Wilcox - No. 

Charlie Strong - No

Tom Herman - He is at his job for years and years. 

Gary Patterson - not coming

Clay Helton - Who? 

Brian Kelly - No thanks .

Jeff Brohm - I would ask. 

DJ Durkin - No. 

Matt Canada - No. 

Dave Aranda - No. 

Bob Stoops - he retired for a reason. 

The Navy coach is the guy that should be on this list. Solid coach but would need to recruit at a higher level. I wouldn't be against this kind of hire. 

Frost should be at the top of the list. 

Agree with your list and analysis.

I would add Matt Campbell at Iowa State. He's done a heck of a job in my opinion. I'd have him at around no. 3 or 4 on my board of persons to call/interview. 

No matter the coach we really need to give the guy all the resources then push him to go out and build a top flight staff. No more bringing your buddy along for the ride. We need a great HC but more importantly I think we need great assistant coaches. They are so vital to success. 

1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

No matter the coach we really need to give the guy all the resources then push him to go out and build a top flight staff. No more bringing your buddy along for the ride. We need a great HC but more importantly I think we need great assistant coaches. They are so vital to success. 

So if Scott brings most of his staff with him from UCF, you won't be happy? I would rather the coach works with people he is comfortable with rather than a bunch of guys you do not have much experience with. I think Scott will bring who he needs to and probably keep Parella and one Williams, the rest of the will not be here. What will people say if Scott doesn't make changes after a certain position group is lacking? Will people trust the process or will they go back to the old he needs to get rid of his buddies despite the fact he is trying to work with people he trusts to win.

1 hour ago, The Maudfather said:

If we hired an Iowa State coach, our fanbase would riot. 

A young, up and coming coach at a power 5 conference who is familiar with mid-west recruiting and getting every oz out of his players? If our fan base would riot after being shot down by Frost and other "headliners" maybe we deserve the 20 years of crap we've been dealt. 

6 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

So if Scott brings most of his staff with him from UCF, you won't be happy? I would rather the coach works with people he is comfortable with rather than a bunch of guys you do not have much experience with. I think Scott will bring who he needs to and probably keep Parella and one Williams, the rest of the will not be here. What will people say if Scott doesn't make changes after a certain position group is lacking? Will people trust the process or will they go back to the old he needs to get rid of his buddies despite the fact he is trying to work with people he trusts to win.

You say this but no one affords Riley that kind of benefit of the doubt. Has going this route worked out for us in the past? You see other big programs going out and getting the best assistants they can and it works for them. I think we shouldn't settle for UCFs guys or even the Williams'. If we decide they are the best guy for the job great but if there are other coaches out there who would give us a better chance to win we should look into that. 

3 hours ago, bugeater17 said:

Agree with your list and analysis.

I would add Matt Campbell at Iowa State. He's done a heck of a job in my opinion. I'd have him at around no. 3 or 4 on my board of persons to call/interview. 

I mentioned Campbell and Herman the last time you guys were looking for a coach. Nebraska hired Riley instead. 

Campbell is a solid coach and would recruit at a high level. He has a lot of energy, passion, and gets his players to play at a high level (talent is the limiting factor). 

My list:

1: Frost

2: Navy coach

3: Iowa State coach

4: Purdue coach

5: Others like the Utah coach

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs Coaches# AP°
Toledo Rockets (Mid-American Conference) (2011–2015)
2011 Toledo 1–0 0–0   W Military    
2012 Toledo 9–4 6–2 T–2nd (West) L Famous Idaho Potato    
2013 Toledo 7–5 5–3 T–3rd (West)      
2014 Toledo 9–4 7–1 T–1st (West) W GoDaddy    
2015 Toledo 9–2 6–2 T–1st (West) Boca Raton*    
Toledo: 35–15 24–8 * Departed Toledo for Iowa State before bowl game
Iowa State Cyclones (Big 12 Conference) (2016–present)
2016 Iowa State 3–9 2–7 9th      
2017 Iowa State 3–2 1–1        
Iowa State: 6–11 3–8

Total: 41–26

I really can't see us going for either of the triple option coaches - and can you imagine that transition? You're definitely looking at a true freshman/JUCO qb, if they got hired with enough time to find one. Lee, POB, and Gebbia would be gone in an instant (plus some receivers probably), and with DPE graduating I don't think we'd have even a high-school QB on roster. Maybe you convince a decent option qb to come here because he'd have no competition for the job. Besides that, I agree with the people saying teams with that offense have a ceiling. We obviously ran a lot of option but it was I-backs not wing backs, and not so much of the motion/deception. That being said, Spielman/Lindsey as wing backs would be pretty fun.

Frost seems almost inevitable whether Riley gets another year or not. I don't think he goes anywhere else this year because he's talked about wanting to build a program, but being able to rebuild your alma mater and get paid more has to be pretty tempting. But he can win at UCF, and there's a lot less pressure.

The Navy coach is never coming to Nebraska.  He had a chance to take over BYU and coach his son and decided to stick with Navy.  I think that speaks volumes.

If (and that's a big if) Riley gets another year I think Nebraska loses Bray and possibly Donte Williams to better offers.  Bray had a chance to take the DC job @ SJSU last year and decided to stay, with Riley essentially being a lame duck coach next year, I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave.  Williams strikes me as a hired gun which is great if you have him, however, he did leave Arizona after one year and I wouldn't be totally surprised to see him jump again.  There are probably going to be quite a few big time openings and you figure a guy like Williams who has a proven track record of recruiting at a high level is going to get courted pretty heavily.  Riley's precarious situation doesn't exactly give a vote of confidence.  

Also, Cav probably gets shown the door as well.  Again, how difficult will it be to get a top flight O Line coach if he knows that there is a good that he's going to get let go if Riley gets fired?  

Man, this situation is a mess.

8 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

The Navy coach is never coming to Nebraska.  He had a chance to take over BYU and coach his son and decided to stick with Navy.  I think that speaks volumes.

If (and that's a big if) Riley gets another year I think Nebraska loses Bray and possibly Donte Williams to better offers.  Bray had a chance to take the DC job @ SJSU last year and decided to stay, with Riley essentially being a lame duck coach next year, I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave.  Williams strikes me as a hired gun which is great if you have him, however, he did leave Arizona after one year and I wouldn't be totally surprised to see him jump again.  There are probably going to be quite a few big time openings and you figure a guy like Williams who has a proven track record of recruiting at a high level is going to get courted pretty heavily.  Riley's precarious situation doesn't exactly give a vote of confidence.  

Also, Cav probably gets shown the door as well.  Again, how difficult will it be to get a top flight O Line coach if he knows that there is a good that he's going to get let go if Riley gets fired?  

Man, this situation is a mess.

The mere fact that he took some serious thoughts about leaving Navy to take that BYU job shows that he would take a new job. If he had no interest he wouldn't have even taken the time to go and interview for that job. He was very close to taking that BYU job. 

He was also a candidate for the Cal job. 

The Navy coach is one of the best coaches in the country and he is going to get P5 offers AGAIN. Oregon State is the one that is open right now and his name has come up as a person that they will look at. 

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs Coaches# AP°
Navy Midshipmen (NCAA Division I FBS independent) (2007–2014)
2007 Navy 0–1*     L Poinsettia    
2008 Navy 8–5     L EagleBank    
2009 Navy 10–4     W Texas    
2010 Navy 9–4     L Poinsettia    
2011 Navy 5–7          
2012 Navy 8–5     L Fight Hunger    
2013 Navy 9–4     W Armed Forces    
2014 Navy 8–5     W Poinsettia    
Navy Midshipmen (American Athletic Conference) (2015–present)
2015 Navy 11–2 7–1 T–1st (West) W Military 18 18
2016 Navy 9–5 7–1 1st (West) L Armed Forces    
2017 Navy 5–0 3–0 (West)      
Navy: 82–42 17–2