Possible Coaches

1 minute ago, jessica0 said:

The mere fact that he took some serious thoughts about leaving Navy to take that BYU job shows that he would take a new job. If he had no interest he wouldn't have even taken the time to go and interview for that job. He was very close to taking that BYU job. 

He was also a candidate for the Cal job. 

The Navy coach is one of the best coaches in the country and he is going to get P5 offers AGAIN. Oregon State is the one that is open right now and his name has come up as a person that they will look at. 

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs Coaches# AP°
Navy Midshipmen (NCAA Division I FBS independent) (2007–2014)
2007 Navy 0–1*     L Poinsettia    
2008 Navy 8–5     L EagleBank    
2009 Navy 10–4     W Texas    
2010 Navy 9–4     L Poinsettia    
2011 Navy 5–7          
2012 Navy 8–5     L Fight Hunger    
2013 Navy 9–4     W Armed Forces    
2014 Navy 8–5     W Poinsettia    
Navy Midshipmen (American Athletic Conference) (2015–present)
2015 Navy 11–2 7–1 T–1st (West) W Military 18 18
2016 Navy 9–5 7–1 1st (West) L Armed Forces    
2017 Navy 5–0 3–0 (West)      
Navy: 82–42 17–2

I think the only reason Niumatalolo strongly considered leaving for BYU is due to his connection with the LDS faith.  I honestly think he'll be at Navy for his entire career.  Maybe he comes back to BYU at some point but that's the only other job I could see him considering.

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Ken-Niumatalolo-The-BYU-job-is-just-different-I-need-to-listen

8 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

You say this but no one affords Riley that kind of benefit of the doubt. Has going this route worked out for us in the past? You see other big programs going out and getting the best assistants they can and it works for them. I think we shouldn't settle for UCFs guys or even the Williams'. If we decide they are the best guy for the job great but if there are other coaches out there who would give us a better chance to win we should look into that. 

I will let Scott Frost handle who he wants to bring and will trust him over you and your big name hires. Yes we need to get the best coaches out there, but Scotts guys at UCF are winning and winning by large margins. His DC is an up and comer who would do wonders here for our defense. His O-line coach graduated from Nebraska and has him playing well. His O coordinator is doing a great job and the Associate head coach and special teams coordinator has done a good job. 

I am not saying that all of his assistants should come here, because they won't, but outside of one williams and parella he will bring his guys with him. I would say he brings 6 out of his 9 assistants at Ucf and brings two or three other outside or bigger name hires with him.

8 hours ago, HuskerJax said:

My top two choices right now are Shaw and frost. Throw a ton of money at shaw and see what happens. I think frost is good choice too, just not convinced he wants to come here

Of course Shaw would be great, but they'd have to pay him Harbaugh $ to even consider it.  Stanford is a better gig than NU a these days.

6 minutes ago, Big Red Commie said:

Of course Shaw would be great, but they'd have to pay him Harbaugh $ to even consider it.  Stanford is a better gig than NU a these days.

Stanford has those pesky admission standards though, maybe he wants to see what he can do without them. The university has the money, time to pony up

6 hours ago, Big Red Commie said:

Stanford is better gig because he is the coach there.  NU will be the better gig if he came here and built us back up.   Frost and Shaw are my top 2 choices wt the Navy coach not far behind. I think any coach worth their salt would love to be the coach responsible for returning a traditional power back to being that power.   I think  that is what is overlooked in these discussions. Coaches by their very nature are deeply competitive (except smiling MR doesn't appear that way on the side lines at times) and they don't shy away from challenges - at least the young ones don't shy from them.   Some think Scott won't take the job because recruiting is so easy in Florida and golf time is so plentiful - (you can recruit and golf all in the same day!).  However, that casts a negative shadow on the typical great coach personality type - driven by challenge.  Challenge is the only way we can grow as individuals.  Scott is too young not to desire to grow.  Maybe Stoops (very successful) and Mike Riley (content wt status quo) have reached that threshold where they can rest on their laurels but not Frost.  18 years ago a company offered me 2 positions - one in a functional area I had mastered and had been in for many years and one in a functional area that I knew a small bit about but would have been a huge challenge - and the previous manager had driven off most of the staff in that functional area.  I chose the most challenging position and the one that forced me to grow.  Because of it, some 18 years later, I've become a recognized professional in the field as our trade organizations has used me to train others and used my insight in articles in their trade publications.  This isn't to lift me up  but to say by example that we grow by taking on challenging roles and stretching ourselves to be better and do better in more difficult situations.  I have to believe that Frost could see the challenge of the situation as a greater motivation than having easy recruiting and golf nearby.  He is a driver - he's taken on the challenge of UCF and is winning that challenge.  Perhaps he will see the challenge of NU and also the reward of turning around a program that had rewarded him during his playing days.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Stanford is better gig because he is the coach there.  NU will be the better gig if he came here and built us back up.   Frost and Shaw are my top 2 choices wt the Navy coach not far behind. I think any coach worth their salt would love to be the coach responsible for returning a traditional power back to being that power.   I think  that is what is overlooked in these discussions. Coaches by their very nature are deeply competitive (except smiling MR doesn't appear that way on the side lines at times) and they don't shy away from challenges - at least the young ones don't shy from them.   Some think Scott won't take the job because recruiting is so easy in Florida and golf time is so plentiful - (you can recruit and golf all in the same day!).  However, that casts a negative shadow on the typical great coach personality type - driven by challenge.  Challenge is the only way we can grow as individuals.  Scott is too young not to desire to grow.  Maybe Stoops (very successful) and Mike Riley (content wt status quo) have reached that threshold where they can rest on their laurels but not Frost.  18 years ago a company offered me 2 positions - one in a functional area I had mastered and had been in for many years and one in a functional area that I knew a small bit about but would have been a huge challenge - and the previous manager had driven off most of the staff in that functional area.  I chose the most challenging position and the one that forced me to grow.  Because of it, some 18 years later, I've become a recognized professional in the field as our trade organizations has used me to train others and used my insight in articles in their trade publications.  This isn't to lift me up  but to say by example that we grow by taking on challenging roles and stretching ourselves to be better and do better in more difficult situations.  I have to believe that Frost could see the challenge of the situation as a greater motivation than having easy recruiting and golf nearby.  He is a driver - he's taken on the challenge of UCF and is winning that challenge.  Perhaps he will see the challenge of NU and also the reward of turning around a program that had rewarded him during his playing days.

Much easier to recruit to Stanford, because:  West Coast.  Better school too.  Better climate.

Frosty would be so perfect @ NU it's ridiculous.  I can't see him saying "no".  The Navy guy and his patented triple option makes me salivate some, though--old school here.  The pro/west coast offense I am coming to think is too hard to install on the college level, takes the players 3-4 years to get any good at it if they even do so and by then they are gone and you start all over again.

Nebraska should be all about the run.

(Good on you re: your career.)

Edited by Big Red Commie
  • Plus1 1
7 hours ago, HuskerJax said:

Stanford has those pesky admission standards though, maybe he wants to see what he can do without them. The university has the money, time to pony up

Didnt Shaw play @ Tree?  I think he has a particular commitment to the school.  The only thing that might get him to leave there is if he studies the fault line sitting directly under the Bay Area(and directly under UCal stadium).  That place is gonna blow....  Of course NE is supposed to be under massive amounts of volcanic ash soon, they say...

Edited by Big Red Commie
16 hours ago, jessica0 said:

Coach Frost has a good coaching staff. Defensive coordinator is all about making plays and not the old days of bend but don't break bull crap. He wants to get the ball back for the offense. 

Thats the right attitude for a D.  Fiasco's bendy and breaky concept is garbage.

Edited by Big Red Commie