SBNation: Scott Frost is perfect for a possible Nebraska opening, but here’s who should be No. 2 on the list

Saunders

On Thursday, Nebraska fired athletic director Shawn Eichorst. The school didn’t bother making up reasons related to the university’s vision or the athletic department’s long-term goals — it basically just said “We’re tired of not being awesome at football.”

Eichorst’s lone hire in a major sport came when he fired Bo Pelini and replaced him with Mike Riley. He seemed to make a mistake of scope by honing in on the guy who was most unlike the last guy, not the one who might have the highest ceiling:

If Pelini's firing wasn't a surprise, Nebraska's replacement certainly was.

In Mike Riley, Nebraska elected to bring in a guy who a) is the opposite of Pelini in demeanor and b) only won more than nine games once in 14 years at Oregon State. The minuses (he won only 29 games in the last five years) and pluses (he won 70 games in 10 years at Oregon State ... just think of what he could do at a bigger program) of his hire were evident, and honestly, that makes it difficult to know what to expect. His friendly grandpa carriage means he will earn a level of goodwill that Pelini never did, and perhaps that means that on-the-field bar won't be as high.

Then again, Solich was a super-nice guy. He got dumped after averaging 9.7 wins. So forget that part.

Under Eichorst, Nebraska took interesting steps toward innovation. Perhaps most notably, NU became the first school to hire a full-time, full-department analytics director in Tucker Zeleny, who has slowly seen his role increase. But innovation only means so much if you bomb your lone football hire.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/9/22/16346606/nebraska-football-coach-scott-frost-ken-damn-niumatalolo

• Plus1 3

I sure hope we don't bet the house on the guy who has built his career on beating Tulsa, SMU, Memphis, and East Carolina. 

If we do, fine. Brace yourselves for a lot of "be patient, he and his staff are just transitioning to P5 conference play". Sometimes it works. Could do worse, I suppose.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

There is no reason why we can't run a power running offense similar to Wisconsin, MSU, Stanford...etc. here.  That would utilize many of the players we already have in the system. It would allow us to actually be able to have a passing game and not trying to use an RB as a QB.

This is an excellent point.

I dunno. Depends on if we want long-term success (Niumatalolo) or if we want someone that can take the talent we have on hand already (which is more than sufficient to win the B1G with) and be successful (Frost, or ?)

Considering how precarious the situation is, plus the 2018 schedule which is looking more daunting by the day...I'm honestly leaning towards winning immediately. 

Also...this image is obligatory thanks to the article title:

dc4cc22aeeaeab8d6591d13e89eeb723.jpg

• Plus1 1

So you think NU should stick with the 3-4 as well when a new coach comes in?

I think it's crazy people also think that college athletes are only suited to play in one system offensively...

Maybe QB, but everyone else is not that big of deal.

I don't care what NU does offensively, as long as, they have a strong, diverse, powerful running game to go with it.

• Plus1 4
2 minutes ago, Coach Power'T said:

So you think NU should stick with the 3-4 as well when a new coach comes in?

I think it's crazy people also think that college athletes are only suited to play in one system offensively...

Maybe QB, but everyone else is not that big of deal.

I don't care what NU does offensively, as long as, they have a strong, diverse, powerful running game to go with it.

Of course I'm mainly talking about the QB position.  Do you really think any of our QBs could be successful running the triple option?  Heck no.  Gebbia might be kind of sort of....slightly able to.  But, he would probably transfer out because that's not the type of system he wants to play in.

So....if we are going to hire the Navy coach and all of a sudden start running the triple option, that will require at least two years transition.  I'm sick and tired of constantly changing offensive philosophies that require a transition period.  

News flash...Nebraska isn't some place where ONLY OPTION FOOTBALL CAN BE SUCCESSFUL.....

As for the 3-4.  I would be perfectly fine with keeping the 3-4 with a coach that is proficient at running it.

1 hour ago, zoogs said:

I sure hope we don't bet the house on the guy who has built his career on beating Tulsa, SMU, Memphis, and East Carolina. 

If we do, fine. Brace yourselves for a lot of "be patient, he and his staff are just transitioning to P5 conference play". Sometimes it works. Could do worse, I suppose.

Are you referring to the Navy coach or Frost or both?

• Plus1 1