SBNation: Scott Frost is perfect for a possible Nebraska opening, but here’s who should be No. 2 on the list

Saunders

Go back to 97.

There were sets where NU did run triple option looks. Specifically think about one drive vs Tennessee where Shevin Wiggins got the pitch and was about a yard or two short. 

Also, while it may or may not be triple option, but anytime you ride a fake to the fullback and option off it. It's pretty much triple option or gives the illusion of. Which NU did plenty.

Now if you want to say NU didn't run flexbone...I'd be with you on that comment.

Go to 48:07

• Plus1 3
34 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Depends which flavor of 3-4.  Diaco's bend-but-don't-break 3-4 is a load of horse hockey.  I prefer an attacking, dictating defense that forces opponents to make quick decisions and beat you with precision. If they can, fine, we'll get you next series. If not, we're going to bury your ass behind the line of scrimmage. 

Just say it, Knapp. You want us to run the ol' 6-2....

31 minutes ago, Coach Power'T said:

Go back to 97.

There were sets where NU did run triple option looks. Specifically think about one drive vs Tennessee where Shevin Wiggins got the pitch and was about a yard or two short. 

Also, while it may or may not be triple option, but anytime you ride a fake to the fullback and option off it. It's pretty much triple option or gives the illusion of. Which NU did plenty.

Now if you want to say NU didn't run flexbone...I'd be with you on that comment.

headdesk1.gif

35 minutes ago, Coach Power'T said:

Go back to 97.

Goodness, watching the 1st NU scoring drive just brought back memories on how we had the most effective most difficult to defend against offense.  What a machine and a thing of beauty to watch.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Depends which flavor of 3-4.  Diaco's bend-but-don't-break 3-4 is a load of horse hockey.  I prefer an attacking, dictating defense that forces opponents to make quick decisions and beat you with precision. If they can, fine, we'll get you next series. If not, we're going to bury your ass behind the line of scrimmage. 

I also like the Wisconsin 3-4. You know the one where in year 1 they didn't look inept.

• Plus1 5
32 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Makes my gut hurt what the next 2 years are going to be like...  seriously.  But if we have to go through the pain, I would rather we go back to a mobile QB system where teams have to defend against the QB run.  

In a perfect system, you'd always want a QB run threat, because it breaks basic football math (Safety vs QB exchange). But you'd also want a drop back passer, because that also breaks basic football math (8 defensive zones vs 4 rushers). 

• Plus1 2

We don't need to go to a triple option (flexbone) attack to be honest.  We actually didn't run a true one under coach Osborne.  Nebraska ran a power running offense, with double option plays. We rarely if ever ran a true triple option.  In a true triple option, the quarterback makes a read on the defense on whether or not to give the ball to the fullback. With us when the fullback got the ball it was almost always a called play. The option was on the pitch to the I-back, or for the quarterback to keep the ball.  People say we can't run the old Osborne offense and I say BULL!!!  

Our power was basically I-back dive, I-back sprint draw, outside play (stretch), toss sweep, counter, isolation, fullback quick hitters, quarterback keep and quarterback sneaks all with inside/outside zone blocking.  Plays that are still ran frequently by many others.  

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Get the right players in here we can run any offense - even Tom's old O.  However, one missing ingrediant - Tom's wizard like genius in calling the plays.  There were times when you wonder if Tom had a direct connection to the opposing team's DC coordinator's mind. 

The other thing missing is the patience to get the right players. No way the fans will wait while the next coach revamps the offense again.