SBNation: Scott Frost is perfect for a possible Nebraska opening, but here’s who should be No. 2 on the list

Saunders

Yes coach was the master of calling plays and knowing what is the right play to call when certain defenses arises.  it helped having a tremendous staff as well.  It didn't matter what type of defense was thrown at us, our coaches knew what blocking assignments were needed pretty damn quickly.  Coach was just the master of in-game foresight period! 

4 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Get the right players in here we can run any offense - even Tom's old O.  However, one missing ingrediant - Tom's wizard like genius in calling the plays.  There were times when you wonder if Tom had a direct connection to the opposing team's DC coordinator's mind. 

Which while you can't truly imitate. Bob Davie once said the person that is most like Tom Osborne in terms of calling plays is Troy Calhoun.

• Plus1 1
46 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I can't see him ever leaving Navy...wait did he already leave Navy?

If Niumatalolo didn't leave Navy for BYU (where he was the clear cut #1 choice) then I'm not sure why he would leave Navy for NU.  Remember, Niumatalolo is also a member of the LDS Church and one of his sons also plays for BYU.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

The other thing missing is the patience to get the right players. No way the fans will wait while the next coach revamps the offense again.

Well if we went back to the old Tom Osborne offense, I'm sure Husker nation would have a little more patience to see it through compared to most any other type of offense.  

I just don't want to see some mamby pampy spread that everyone else runs that will just make us softer all-around imo. 

30 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Goodness, watching the 1st NU scoring drive just brought back memories on how we had the most effective most difficult to defend against offense.  What a machine and a thing of beauty to watch.

I'm not saying that the power run game can't make a comeback but TG, it's a different time man.  I just had a post about this but we had the secret sauce when it come to strength and conditioning for a very long time.  It let us transform farm boys into juggernaughts for a long time, and it was so above and beyond what everybody else was doing, it led to a ton of success.  Now that science, health and tech has transformed sports, you can't expect us to just turn to the run and have it be as successful as it was in the 90's.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Coach Power'T said:

Which while you can't truly imitate. Bob Davie once said the person that is most like Tom Osborne in terms of calling plays is Troy Calhoun.

Sorry, I had to look him up like I did MR 3 years ago.  :ahhhhhhhh  Then it hit me who he was.    I don't think that will be the splash hire everyone craves.  However, it has to be more than splash - it has to be the right guy at the right time.

6 minutes ago, BartonHusker said:

People say we can't run the old Osborne offense and I say BULL!!!  

On paper, that offense works, but logistically it's a problem. It's just becoming harder and harder to get the practice reps needed, especially full contact reps. The NFL has strict limits on them, the PAC has a limit of two a week, the NCAA has banned two-a-day and is constantly looking at similar measures as the aforementioned. The risk of head injury, in particular, is being taken very seriously. Football is not the same game it was in the 90s.

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, epocSoN said:

I'm not saying that the power run game can't make a comeback but TG, it's a different time man.  I just had a post about this but we had the secret sauce when it come to strength and conditioning for a very long time.  It let us transform farm boys into juggernaughts for a long time, and it was so above and beyond what everybody else was doing, it led to a ton of success.  Now that science, health and tech has transformed sports, you can't expect us to just turn to the run and have it be as successful as it was in the 90's.

Yes, I know parody has sunk in --  so many programs can and are successful these days.  We didn't keep up.

7 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Get the right players in here we can run any offense - even Tom's old O.  However, one missing ingrediant - Tom's wizard like genius in calling the plays.  There were times when you wonder if Tom had a direct connection to the opposing team's DC coordinator's mind. 

Maybe we perceive it differently.  Major Applewhite once said out O "isn't rocket science" while that was perceived as a dig at TO, it was a compliment.  Tom beat you by beating on you, we didn't outrun you or gimmick you, we ran right at you, again, again again and again until you finally broke.

That may be true when it comes to some with concerns about option football (which I still believe can and should be ran) but it shouldn't matter when it comes to running power.  That would be telling Wisconsin, Michigan, Stanford, Iowa, Oregon, etc. that they need to change their offenses because of safety concerns.  Sooner than later everyone will just be running some soft crap spread with flags. 

2 minutes ago, Hingle McCringleberry said:

Maybe we perceive it differently.  Major Applewhite once said out O "isn't rocket science" while that was perceived as a dig at TO, it was a compliment.  Tom beat you by beating on you, we didn't outrun you or gimmick you, we ran right at you, again, again again and again until you finally broke.

That is why it was such a thing of beauty to watch - execution, execution.  We had the discipline to run it and make it successful even if the D knew what was coming.  Of course, if we have all of the undisciplined off side, false start penalties we've seen to have had for the last 10 years, it won't work. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

That is why it was such a thing of beauty to watch - execution, execution.  We had the discipline to run it and make it successful even if the D knew what was coming.  Of course, if we have all of the undisciplined off side, false start penalties we've seen to have had for the last 10 years, it won't work. 

Yes, it was beautiful when the offensive talent was awesome in the mid 90's, especially 95 and 97. TO's offense struggled against good defenses like any other offense though.