SBNation: Scott Frost is perfect for a possible Nebraska opening, but here’s who should be No. 2 on the list

Saunders

7 hours ago, Hilltop said:

I don't give a rat what system we run as long as we run it well.  It is so depressing watching our O-line get beat play after play.  Our only decent runs come from amazing broken tackles- not from giant holes my old legs could run through.  

You know, thinking about it as I peruse this thread, it occurs to me that the thing that has been the biggest limiting factor for NU's offense dating back to Solich/Osborne is the lack of a GREAT OL coach. We need another Milt. The reason Stanford/Wisconsin/Iowa (lol)/Alabama or pretty much any other smash-mouth offense people idolize works well is because they have stellar OL play coached up every single year that opens up massive holes for their RBs. We haven't had that consistently in a long time. Flashes sometimes, but nothing sustained. 

I'm growing convinced that turning over every stone to find another Milt is almost going to matter more than who the HC is. Interesting that Guy pointed out Frost probably wouldn't run that same style of offense. Regardless, for any offense to be consistently dominant at this level, you need a coach like Milt up front, and the Barney Cottons & Cavs of the world aren't going to get it done.

• Plus1 1

16 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Fun Fact:

In his first year as head coach, Scott Frost was actually more pass happy than Mike Riley:

UCF Run/Pass 2016

527/448

UNL Run/Pass 2016

523/400

I'm not sure why people assume Frost's return would simply be a reboot of 1997.

The problem with Riley's run/pass ratio (well.....one of the problems) is Riley's offense isn't efficient.  Interceptions, losing the battle of the line of scrimmage and poor play design affect the efficiency.

I think having played quarterback in an efficient offense and having been coached and/or mentored by Walsh, Osborne and Kelly are the huge upsides to Frost.

I think Frost is probably the best fit with so much turmoil being exposed administratively and Husker Nation wanting to see a better product on the field than what Riley is capable of producing.