Ground and Pound

speedtoburn

Give me Wisconsin's offense which is everything we used to be.

This is not Rocket Science. Assuming a new coach is eventually hired, we need to get back to our roots...build an offense that is built around controlling the clock via a punishing ground game, then use the run to setup the Playaction pass.

Why the hell is this concept so difficult for our athletic leadership to grasp? 

• Plus1 1

Any offense is the right offense if you have the right coach and the right players. The problem is finding a good coach that can recruit said players and get the most out of them.

I honestly don't care too much what Nebraska runs on offense, as long as it's successful. Having said all that, I would be completely happy with an offense that looked like 2010 or 2011 Wisconsin. 

31 minutes ago, speedtoburn said:

This is not Rocket Science. Assuming a new coach is eventually hired, we need to get back to our roots...build an offense that is built around controlling the clock via a punishing ground game, then use the run to setup the Playaction pass.

I"m not a huge "big picture" football guy.  I just cheer for the Huskers.  Do Ohio, Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, USC all play ground an pound too?

37 minutes ago, speedtoburn said:

Good lord, it's so easy!  Send a note to HCMR right now!  Speedtburn for AD!

Actually retooling the offensive line to play a ground and pound style of offense should be easier than accumulating a lot of speed.  We live in a region full of quality lineman... it is a reason so many schools run a ground and pound offense.  Why we have struggled with our offensive line is mind blowing but imo much of it has been due to coaching and not so much the prospects themselves.  

• Plus1 1

Watching USF vs Temple, the announcer (Joey Galloway?) was commenting on the offense of Temple.  To paraphrase, he said that Temple needs to find out what they are on offense.  You can't be a a jack of all trades...You need to decide what you want to be. For example, if you want to be a spread team, wait recruiting FB's.......sounds familiar.  What the hell are we on offense? Serious question..

Temple was more ground and pound under Rhule but not sure if the new head coach is more of a spread guy trying to run some of Rhule's stuff or trying to transition to a spread?  Rhule, much like Taggert would've been good head coaches to look at if we were wanting to go more ground and pound but it looks like we are year to late with them. 

3 hours ago, HuskerMav11 said:

We're going to have to get way better in the trenches if we're going to adopt that strategy. That's actually our biggest problem in general. Our guys up front are soft on both sides of the ball. Give any top 10 school our line, and they're hot garbage...

Exactly, and I agree that it would be an easier job to retool/recruit for a nasty OL.

Why on earth can't we eventually be as good as Wisconsin is now? The notion that we can't is absurd.