Blinders for hometown candidates?

I posted this in another AD search thread. The only reason guys like Trev Alberts or Ed Stewart are mentioned by people as viable candidates by the average joe from Nebraska are because nobody really knows other AD's from across the country.  Average Joe from Ashland knows the names of Alberts, Stewart, and Rimington, so they are going to be mentioned.

Compared to the AD's at TCU, Colorado State, Iowa State, and other actual AD's who are being mentioned by media who have done actual research, the "Nebraska guys"' don't have as good as resumes.  I don't think you need to necessarily need to have a "Nebraska guy", especially at AD.  But, you need to a man or woman who understands the culture of Nebraska and know what's important to the alumni,

students, and fans and would be able to assimilate themselves in that culture.  Eichorst didn't assimilate himself very well within the Athletic Department. Pedersen was a giant a-hole who nobody liked. Osborne was well liked by everyone involved at the University, but he made hires that have turned out to be "not great". It's hard to get that perfect AD, but I agree that it shouldn't be limited to a "Nebraska guy". 

• Plus1 2

8 hours ago, HuskerMav11 said:

Everyone thinks that people just want Scott Frost here because he's a Nebraska Alum. Truth is, Scott Frost has a pretty damn impressive resume and, quite honestly, he may be too good for our program.

We're not going to be the only program going after this guy, if we do. Florida is the most obvious. We'd be lucky to get him.

This is exactly how I feel. Some of us are out-smarting ourselves: rooting for the hometown candidate "reeks" of near-sightedness, they feel. In the case of Frost to Nebraska though, all one needs to do is look at Frost's resume. Look at what he's currently doing at UCF. I don't know if there is a higher trending non-P5 coach in the nation right now. Truly, I believe we are closer to 'Frost being too good for this job,' than we are 'Frost is too unproven for this job.' If we don't grab him this year, he is soon going to be at a currently top 15 program.

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, Blackshirt316 said:

2 years as Athetic Director at a D2 school in the MIAA Conference.

6 years as Athletic Director of a non P5 D1 school in the Summitt League. Overseeing an athletic department without a football program.

3 years as vice chancellor of athletics for a non P5 D1 school in the Summitt League.

That is Trev Alberts' entire relevant resume.

That resume on it's merits alone is a resume for a candidate for a sunbelt or conference USA job... NOT a Big Ten Job and certainly not a job at a place like Nebraska.

I like Trev but if he doesn't play here anyone bringing his name up as a serious candidate for this job would be laughed out of the room.  

Whoever the AD is at Creighton or South Dakota, or even Witchita State is likely far more qualified than Trev Alberts and if for some reason any of them got the job people would riot becaise they were underqualified. 

Look at that resume again, do you honestly think OSU or Michigan or Penn State hires anyone with that resume? Of course not..so why the hell should Nebraska? Because he played football here 20+ years ago?

Well put. Love Trev but he has more experience s#!tcanning sports than building them. Not saying it was uncalled for at UNO, I have no experience either just like most of the old farts clamoring for him. Open your eyes people!

10 hours ago, HuskerMav11 said:

Everyone thinks that people just want Scott Frost here because he's a Nebraska Alum. Truth is, Scott Frost has a pretty damn impressive resume and, quite honestly, he may be too good for our program.

We're not going to be the only program going after this guy, if we do. Florida is the most obvious. We'd be lucky to get him.

Truth is, would Scott Frost be talked about here near as much if he 1) hadn't played here and 2) wasn't part of the good ol' glory days?

The answer is no, he wouldn't be. The single biggest reason he's being talked about so much is because he's the low hanging fruit most Nebraska fans know about. He is improving his résumé and seems to blossoming into a good coach, but otherwise, he does not have significant separation from several other candidates who have been mentioned on the board in recent weeks.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, Enhance said:

Truth is, would Scott Frost be talked about here near as much if he 1) hadn't played here and 2) wasn't part of the good ol' glory days?

The answer is no, he wouldn't be. The single biggest reason he's being talked about so much is because he's the low hanging fruit most Nebraska fans know about. He is improving his résumé and seems to blossoming into a good coach, but otherwise, he does not have significant separation from several other candidates who have been mentioned on the board in recent weeks. If a person puts a lot of weight into his Nebraska ties they're entitled to that opinion. Personally, I don't think it carries much weight, though it would certainly be a nice bonus if he were one day made head coach.

YES!  Although some very good coaching jobs  (LSU, Tenn, and UCLA) may also be looking for a new leader by the year's end, this should not drive a hasty, emotionally based decision. It 's owed to this state and its university to do an expansive search.  The next "Nebraska guy" may never have played, coached or visited this state!  Could a push to quickly appease the boosters and fans with an emotional hire backfire?  I think it could. Politics has ruined more important things in life.  

That said, maybe after all things being equally weighed, Frost is the best candidate, which sets the stage for a Hollywood comeback story.  Funny thing is, I hate Hollywood and life is usually too cruel to permit such dreamy, happy, endings.  We need to rely on good ole fashioned research and hard work without the blinders of nostalgia.  The selection of a new AD starts the path.  Finding one who has an open, forward thinking, analytical approach who attracts the best leader to forge a new culture is what this program deserves.  Is this Alberts?  I don't see it. But we will see. 

Want to be Ohio State or Alabama?  Find a coach who has the work ethic, competitiveness, attention to detail and absolute demand for greatness to lead the program. They have complete belief in their systems, yet also hold the confidence to hire new and opposing viewpoints to never be caught resting on their laurels. These are special individuals or everyone would have one.  Whats makes the best coaches in the sport is not Xs and Os.  To limit or artificially elevate any criteria, in my opinion, drastically reduces the odds of finding one.

I was immediately high on Frost, but I am starting to feel a sense of forcing the evidence to fit the narrative. Again, after really looking at all potential and willing candidates, it would be cool to wear a retro Frost # 7 jersey with special memories.

Damn it, now I just did it too.  I need a nap.

• Plus1 1
17 hours ago, hskrpwr13 said:

Pretty hard to not be impressed with Frost at this point. 

If this job opened up tomorrow, I'd be on that train, I admit I love the idea of strongly considering him.

But that doesn't mean I don't understand the other side of the argument. Impressed is a pretty strong word, and Frost as a head coach has only 14 games. So I don't think it's hard at all to not be impressed. 

• Plus1 1
On 9/24/2017 at 5:40 AM, HuskerPowerVA said:

The point was they found the best coach in college football by going outside of their formula of desiring candidates with school ties.   Mind numbing.  

Dude I was just pointing out one of those school ties guys was fairly successful on the field(if not off of it). You go through that list of ex Alabama guys and infer that they were all bad coaches. Stallings clearly was not. He had a 70-16 record there.(61--25 with the Lagham forfeits) As it is he is in the CF HOF. Had it not been for the off field issues he could have been there a while and been their next "great" coach. Who knows?

Its not like Nebraska has stuck to some in state formula. Our last three coaches have not been Nebraska guys in that sense even tho Bo coaches here briefly before. Nebraska has no formula apparently other then hiring bad coaches from coast to coast the last 15 years 

If you look at my other posts you'd see I've stated over and over I could care less about school or state ties.

Edited by Enhance
Edited to remove inappropriate language.

Best case for Frost.  New AD gives HCMR one year in essence giving Frost one more year at UCF to improve his craft.  

So far he's 9-7 at a school that was 0-10 the year before he arrived

The school he left fired there HC the year after he left

Excellent track record in recruiting

28 minutes ago, FTW said:

We've hired three external head football coaches outside the state of Nebraska since Tom Osborne retired. I would say it's time to give a native Nebraskan an opportunity to lead the football program.

This statement is so flawed I'm not even sure where to begin.  It's akin to seeing a spot where lightning struck once and standing in the spot until it strikes again. 

• Plus1 2
31 minutes ago, FTW said:

We've hired three external head football coaches outside the state of Nebraska since Tom Osborne retired. I would say it's time to give a native Nebraskan an opportunity to lead the football program.

So who do we hire as a "Native Son" if Frost turns us down?  Not a lot of options out there.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Football Guy Bob said:

So who do we hire as a "Native Son" if Frost turns us down?  Not a lot of options out there.

I'm insinuating that Frost won't turn us down, lol. And if offered, I don't think he will refuse. There are a lot of people going to bat for Scott Frost right now more than most fans realize and it's not just media people.