Blinders for hometown candidates?

11 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

This statement is so flawed I'm not even sure where to begin.  It's akin to seeing a spot where lightning struck once and standing in the spot until it strikes again. 

Explain how it's flawed? It's a fact. The statement is we've hired three people who were not connected to the program in any way, shape, or form other than save BP circa 2003. Is it not a fact that the last time a native Nebraskan led our football program... Ah, you know where I'm going with this.

Just now, FTW said:

I'm insinuating that Frost won't turn us down, lol. And if offered, I don't think he will refuse. There are a lot of people going to bat for Scott Frost right now more than most fans realize and it's not just media people.

It was a hypothetical question, and truth be told he's the only "native son" out there in the coaching ranks right now besides Craig Bohl.  But I doubt we give Bohl a look.

Why do people think Frost went into UCF and turned the program around.  Sure, they went 0-12 in 2015 but if you look at the previous years, they were pretty decent.  They did have a down year in 2011 but bounced back.

Here are the last 6 years before Frost took over.

2010: 11-3

2011: 5-7

2012: 10-4

2013: 12-1

2014: 9-4

2015: 0-12

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Enhance said:

If anybody suggests Turner Gill or Matt Turman, I will ban the whole board including myself.

Ok, Jason Peters.:D  He has an opinion on everything :movegoalpost:  Will that burn down the board :ahhhhhhhh

I still would like the see the TCU combo as a consideration.  Their AD bringing Patterson here.  The AD may be willing but Patterson perhaps not.  I am also a Scott Frost fan.   While I truly wish he had one more year as HC, he has proven himself as capable in all of his previous coaching duties and few player/coaches have had the quality of mentors that he has had.  I think he would draw a lot of good advice from those mentors.  If we open the check book to hiring top notch DC and OC, then we lesson our exposure to his lack of HC experience.  We've gone the no HC experience route, the mega years HC experience route.  I think it is time for a young guy we can build with that already has HC experience and won't be completely clueless as a HC as Bo was nor a proven below par performer as MR is. With that said, if we can get a long term experienced P5 coach, like Patterson, it is worth looking at.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Football Guy Bob said:

It was a hypothetical question, and truth be told he's the only "native son" out there in the coaching ranks right now besides Craig Bohl.  But I doubt we give Bohl a look.

You know what Bohl had done at NDSU and he is slowly turning Wy around.  We may not like his memory due to the leaky D he coordinated under Frank, but it appears he's learned a thing or two.  I'm not saying I want him now, but he would have been better than the current hire IMHO.  

3 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

Why do people think Frost went into UCF and turned the program around.  Sure, they went 0-12 in 2015 but if you look at the previous years, they were pretty decent.  They did have a down year in 2011 but bounced back.

Here are the last 6 years before Frost took over.

2010: 11-3

2011: 5-7

2012: 10-4

2013: 12-1

2014: 9-4

2015: 0-12

The notable thing about UCF is they are doing it on both sides of the ball. The offense gets a lot of attention because of what Oregon did and those connections, but the defense has probably played the bigger part in their success.

Those records really just tell me Frost had some players to work with. A lot of openings do, but that's no guarantee of success. When you watch UCF, they look the part. There are execution mistakes, but they align well, they move well, and they really hustle. They look like a team that has a chance to really do something in year 2, and that's something we really need to watch for....because history strongly suggests any hire that can take us where we want to go will show it by years 2 and 3.

I like the argument that the OP is making, and I've been saying roughly the same thing for three years. 

I don't want to feel good about any potential hire that we may or may not make at the end of this season - I want it to make sense. At the time that Bo was fired, Frost didn't make sense to me at all. Now, he does technically have head coaching experience under his belt and it suits him.

So I see how it could make sense. But I don't think he'd be the absolutely best choice. Then comes the, "Well, the better choices aren't available" comments. Maybe. But we haven't exactly ever tried just backing a dump truck full of cash up to a guy's house and paying whatever it takes to buy out a contract and put a big contract on the books here. 

I'm not sure what's best.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, FTW said:

Explain how it's flawed? It's a fact. The statement is we've hired three people who were not connected to the program in any way, shape, or form other than save BP circa 2003. Is it not a fact that the last time a native Nebraskan led our football program... Ah, you know where I'm going with this.

No, I understand where you're coming from.  Your statement insinuates that it's time to turn over the reigns to a native Nebraskan because it worked out last time.  I believe that Nebraska excelled due to TO being at the helm, he just happened to be from Nebraska.  

1 hour ago, Undone said:

I like the argument that the OP is making, and I've been saying roughly the same thing for three years. 

I don't want to feel good about any potential hire that we may or may not make at the end of this season - I want it to make sense. At the time that Bo was fired, Frost didn't make sense to me at all. Now, he does technically have head coaching experience under his belt and it suits him.

So I see how it could make sense. But I don't think he'd be the absolutely best choice. Then comes the, "Well, the better choices aren't available" comments. Maybe. But we haven't exactly ever tried just backing a dump truck full of cash up to a guy's house and paying whatever it takes to buy out a contract and put a big contract on the books here. 

I'm not sure what's best.

The problem I have with the 'big contract' talk is that it's open to an incredible amount of caveats. Many of the guys who have huge contracts at other universities would be making lateral and/or potential worse moves to come here. So yeah, they're making more money, but is that worth going to a potentially more difficult place to recruit, coach and win?

• Plus1 1

I will admit I am probably one of the guys with blinders on. Have been hoping we could get Frost back. Thinking this time it has to be Husker guy.  After reading the board the last few days, realized it might just be me wanting the glory days back..Which i still do. If Frost is the best choice lets go get him. If the best choice is someone else, lets go get him, whatever it takes. This all depends on how this season plays out.

1 minute ago, Enhance said:

The problem I have with the 'big contract' talk is that it's open to an incredible amount of caveats. Many of the guys who have huge contracts at other universities would be making lateral and/or potential worse moves to come here. So yeah, they're making more money, but is that worth going to a potentially more difficult place to recruit, coach and win?

Those are some great points. Maybe the odds and drawbacks of pulling in the Mark Dantonio type of guy just make it basically an impossibility.

So I think the question then becomes, does Frost actually look like that burgeoning star of a head coach as much as any other young head coach out there? Maybe he does. Maybe he's the full package - He's the rising head coaching star that also could be very passionate about keeping our tradition alive.

Or, maybe there's another younger guy out there that's similar to Frost but has the better resume. The better guy on paper. I don't know. 

My main point is that for me personally, it's not about needing to feel good about the hire. Frost is the feel-good hire. And, maybe by the end of the season he's the "looks good on paper" guy, also. We'll see.

• Plus1 1

I don't have anything to really substantiate this with, this is just a bunch of reading between the lines by me, but I think that Ronnie Green is a different animal than Perlman was when it comes to leading the way for the football program. 

Firing Eichorst was an undeniably bold move. If he's that bold, he could easily be bold enough to go the "Big Money" route. I have hopes that this is the case, anyway. I at least want the Big Money route to be on the table, because it didn't seem to be on the table with Osborne nor Eichorst as the Athletic Director.

1 hour ago, FTW said:

Causation =/= correlation. 

5 minutes ago, Undone said:

I don't have anything to really substantiate this with, this is just a bunch of reading between the lines by me, but I think that Ronnie Green is a different animal than Perlman was when it comes to leading the way for the football program. 

Firing Eichorst was an undeniably bold move. If he's that bold, he could easily be bold enough to go the "Big Money" route. I have hopes that this is the case, anyway. I at least want the Big Money route to be on the table, because it didn't seem to be on the table with Osborne nor Eichorst as the Athletic Director.

I think you're on the right track Undone.  We're really heading into uncharted territory when it comes to Nebraska athletics and that is due to TO starting to drop further into the background.  Whether you agree with it or not, TO is/was the biggest power broker in the state.  For all the things we loved about TO you can't deny that he was financially conservative and who can blame him?  Nebraska experienced near unprecedented success under his watchful eye as a coach.  I question though if his approach hurt Nebraska when he transitioned out of the head coaching spot.  We need to put to rest the notion that Nebraska can try and get an elite coach 'on the cheap'.  We've tried the NFL hot shot (Cally), we've tried the up and coming coordinator (Bo) and we've tried sleeper pick (Riley).  Nebraska is a blue chip stock when it comes to college athletics.  We deserve a blue chip AD and if it comes to it, a blue chip coach.

23 hours ago, FTW said:

When the football program needed to be turned around after nearly two decades of down times, the University of Nebraska looked across the nation to find the best guy for the job.  Based on the recommendations of other coaches and former bosses, they hired the man they thought would turn our football program around.  They were right.  However, it doesn't fit your narrative.

Bob Devaney had zero ties to Nebraska.  Now, he is the man credited with building Nebraska Football.

• Plus1 1