What did we learn-Game 4 Rutgers

JJ Husker

With so many injuries, this was a gutsy performance from both sides of the ball. I wasn’t sure we’d get that going into the game.

The offense works really well when they’re doing things that work well.

DLine continues to impress. When Diaco brings pressure, there is a lot of chaos and a chance for a lot of forced TOs going forward.

I’m trying not to take too much from this game because Rutgers really is that bad, but the team fought hard and earned a win. Anxious but a little more excited to see what we do against Wisconsin.

From the stands the defense looked far better than last week. Saw some weaknesses, but a lot more strengths. Obviously a neutered opponent without their only semi-threat, and a tendency to use one ineffective set is no real test. But I saw some opponent neutral, too.

Anxious to see this d-line against a real opponent. I've felt good about that group all season.

4 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

I learned the following:

• Our defense has steadily and measurably improved since the first half at Oregon. It's the only unit we're fielding that's showing increased improvement from game to game. 
    • Also, I would be okay with Diaco taking over as interim HC if our BOR wanted to terminate Riley and Langsdorf immediately. 
  • Langsdorf is a f*****g moron that continues to force his identity on an offense that is neither well-coached or talented enough to run it.
    • Riley needs to eschew Langsdorf and take over playcalling with a run-first mentality. It's the only thing we're doing well right now. 
    • Tanner Lee should not be our QB. The coaches better have a damn good reason why they're not putting POB in the game (especially when the O-Line is actually playing well, unlike last week)
    • Langsdorf ran the same f*****g running play twice in a row in the 4th quarter when we were driving for a TD (when we had to settle for a FG). Between this and calling Play Action pass plays in the red zone last week, we should fire Langsdorf on principle right now for such stupidity. 
    • To drive home the point about how bad Langsdorf and Tanner Lee are, our defense has given up only 17 points in eight quarters; Tanner Lee has given up 21 on his own. 

Ultimately, I'm more pissed after this win than I am with the loss, because what we showed today indicates we have the kids to be 4-0 right now and looking optimistically towards Illinois and Wisky--we just have idiots for a head coach and OC. 

Perfect! 100% agree on all points.

• Plus1 1

Quality win. How it looks in the context of the season of course, depends on how the rest of the game goes. Is this an inflection point where this team that stumbled out the gate starts putting it together? Or is it a forgettable blip in a season that continues off the rails?

Hoping it's the former. It's good to see these guys do well.

• Plus1 3
6 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

I learned the following:

• Our defense has steadily and measurably improved since the first half at Oregon. It's the only unit we're fielding that's showing increased improvement from game to game. 
  • Also, I would be okay with Diaco taking over as interim HC if our BOR wanted to terminate Riley and Langsdorf immediately. 
  • Langsdorf is a f*****g moron that continues to force his identity on an offense that is neither well-coached or talented enough to run it.
    • Riley needs to eschew Langsdorf and take over playcalling with a run-first mentality. It's the only thing we're doing well right now. 
    • Tanner Lee should not be our QB. The coaches better have a damn good reason why they're not putting POB in the game (especially when the O-Line is actually playing well, unlike last week)
    • Langsdorf ran the same f*****g running play twice in a row in the 4th quarter when we were driving for a TD (when we had to settle for a FG). Between this and calling Play Action pass plays in the red zone last week, we should fire Langsdorf on principle right now for such stupidity. 
    • To drive home the point about how bad Langsdorf and Tanner Lee are, our defense has given up only 17 points in eight quarters; Tanner Lee has given up 21 on his own. 

Ultimately, I'm more pissed after this win than I am with the loss, because what we showed today indicates we have the kids to be 4-0 right now and looking optimistically towards Illinois and Wisky--we just have idiots for a head coach and OC. 

Lee also set up 3 of Rutgers' points with a god-awful throw off his back foot and into double coverage. 

• Plus1 1