What did we learn-Game 4 Rutgers

JJ Husker

I learned that Tanner is a lone wolf on the sidelines. I kept watching him from the east upper deck all game and he just sat by himself the entire time whether it be after a TD, pick 6, or punt. Gebbia and a guy in a Black wind breaker were the only guys to really come by him at all and it was always brief. Gebbia and POB both had other players they would hang out with and whatnot but it really seems as if Tanner just enjoys sitting alone or doesn't really have any support from others on the team.

21 minutes ago, Army_Allen said:

I learned that Tanner is a lone wolf on the sidelines. I kept watching him from the east upper deck all game and he just sat by himself the entire time whether it be after a TD, pick 6, or punt. Gebbia and a guy in a Black wind breaker were the only guys to really come by him at all and it was always brief. Gebbia and POB both had other players they would hang out with and whatnot but it really seems as if Tanner just enjoys sitting alone or doesn't really have any support from others on the team.

I've noticed that too.  Pretty odd considering he was voted as one of the captains.  Wonder if the voting would change at this point.  But in the end, he's just a kid.  Hope he either figures out how to play better, or is gracious if he has to sit.

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Honestly, I think it's the NFL type mentality.  The starters, especially at QB, are going to get the vast majority of snaps during practice.  I am sure Gebbia is running scout team right now.  I would like to see what POB could do, but Riley is going to stick with Lee, especially with a short week vs. Illinois, then the 2 toughest defenses NU will face all season following that.

If Lee is still struggling after those games, there could be a switch in the bye week after Ohio State.

I believe he has benched QBs in the past.

What i did learn is, the QB job is Lee's period.

Glad we won, for the kids and us.

Just not excited about it. Something is missing. Feels like we aren't really getting any better, except maybe the D. Then I think who we played and wonder how they will do against Wis, who is a much better team then we faced today. How can they hold up with pic sixes or all the int's that are probably coming, going by what we have seen so far. 

This offense is not changing with Lee back there, and who knows if POB can do any better with the o-line we have, even though they did protect better, but it was Rutgers. He could be worse than Lee, but doesn't look like we will ever find out.

Lets beat Ill and hope for the best. 

GBR!!!

5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I am still baffled by our WR rotation.  With Morgan out yesterday, there is no reason DPE and JD should be off the field together.  And there is no reason each of them should be playing the same amount of snaps of the walk-ons.

I think the Gorilla WR coach wants to play a lot of WR's because he can show recruits "Hey, you are going to get just as many snaps as the #1 and #2 WR's, and we have a bunch of walk-ons playing right now."  It's funny because it's basically the opposite philosophy of all the other offensive assistant coaches, who prefer to play the top guys only.

2 hours ago, Army_Allen said:

He was voted a team captain before the season started so there must have been some reason(s) this happened.

2 hours ago, huskered17 said:

What i did learn is, the QB job is Lee's period.

Glad we won, for the kids and us.

Just not excited about it. Something is missing. Feels like we aren't really getting any better, except maybe the D. Then I think who we played and wonder how they will do against Wis, who is a much better team then we faced today. How can they hold up with pic sixes or all the int's that are probably coming, going by what we have seen so far. 

This offense is not changing with Lee back there, and who knows if POB can do any better with the o-line we have, even though they did protect better, but it was Rutgers. He could be worse than Lee, but doesn't look like we will ever find out.

Lets beat Ill and hope for the best. 

GBR!!!

Heres what I see in a nutshell.  We have a lame duck coach and staff.  We fired the AD after  a bad loss to a non power 5 team.  The staff knows is not coming back next year.  So we have a lame duck staff, and players that will have no passion for playing for them much longer.  Its a matter of time before we fire Riley.  Guessing that after our next embarrassment we move on.  We have recruiting in a limbo.  Honestly, we need to move forward soon.  We can't have this limbo hanging over this program.  I don't care what others think about our talent, were lacking in all positions.  We have no depth.  We have very little in skilled position players that can compete against other elite athletes from other teams.  Please don't tell me that Riley has a chance to prove himself yet!  WE all know that is window dressing for the moment.  Bounds and Green can see that this program is in a downward spiral.  My issue right now is that the lame duck approach isn't going to benefit the program.  

If you're POB you have got to be PO'd.  I have read a couple of things about his work ethic in the past.  Not on here but by journalists, although I can't remember the exact ones, but BC comes to mind.  Maybe Riley-or an assistant- has a personality clash with POB?  At this point, you would think there may be something going on behind the scenes that keeps O'Brien off the field.  

I watched the sidelines in Madison last year, and POB was up and throwing at a critical point in the game like he was going in.  I think at the time I thought he was told to get up and throw.   I'm not  sure if this happened other times, but I still think if RIley was going to give O'Brien a chance, it was last year when we 7-0, so burning a late season red shirt really shouldn't have been an issue.  I get flamed all the time for this but I haven't seen anything to change my mind.  Does anyone have any insight on personality differences, attitudes, etc. between him and the coaching staff?  Would anyone be surprised if the POB is leaped frogged for Gebbia?   The is assuming that the staff will try someone else.  

20 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Heres what I see in a nutshell.  We have a lame duck coach and staff.  We fired the AD after  a bad loss to a non power 5 team.  The staff knows is not coming back next year.  So we have a lame duck staff, and players that will have no passion for playing for them much longer.  Its a matter of time before we fire Riley.  Guessing that after our next embarrassment we move on.  We have recruiting in a limbo.  Honestly, we need to move forward soon.  We can't have this limbo hanging over this program.  I don't care what others think about our talent, were lacking in all positions.  We have no depth.  We have very little in skilled position players that can compete against other elite athletes from other teams.  Please don't tell me that Riley has a chance to prove himself yet!  WE all know that is window dressing for the moment.  Bounds and Green can see that this program is in a downward spiral.  My issue right now is that the lame duck approach isn't going to benefit the program.  

They may be a lame duck, but they have a history of sticking with one guy and riding him down into a giant flame of injuries and interceptions.  I could entertain that was the selling point to Diaco's defense- keep the defense on the field as long as possible so our crappiness in most offensive things will not get much opportunity to stink up the place.  That's kind of a silly idea that is caused by my poor emotional football state right now.  

4 hours ago, Enhance said:

Yeah, I pretty much completely disregarded Langs on that one. He was looking out for his guy.

That's a throw Lee can't make and should know he can't make. Same thing with the interception earlier in the game.

We used to say the same about TA, but what the hell was he "seeing?"  I don't think we even had anyone on that side of the field.  Not a great excuse, but could the receivers- or QB- have mixed up the plays?  

I've learned that we're four games into the season and are still struggling against less talented teams. 

Ozigbo should've gotten more carries last week against UNI. He's clearly the #2 RB above Wilbon 

Tanner Lee should've been benched but wasn't because Riley is stubborn

We'll be lucky to win 4 more games

• Plus1 1