8 Wins.

For me, it's not just a W-L record.  Look at the totality of our improvement with him as the HC.  I do not think we have progressed at all.  Even if the D is given a pass i.e. new scheme, 3 new coaches in Williams, Booker and Diaco, fine.  They get a pass, but the O is still mired in incompetent play calling, poor OL play, poor time management etc....year 3 with their guys.....The O is a hot mess.  Riley saw the D and ST sucked and let Read and Baker go.  The year before he got rid of Hughes.  Langs was so bad at OSU that Riley took over play calling in 2011 IIRC.  Why the hell bring Langs with you?  

Maybe the new AD gives an ultimatum.  Fire your OL coach and OC.  Who knows.  Does Riley do it?  How would you choose a new OC and OL coach?  The reality is NU is not going to reach the promised land with this crew at the helm.  Recruiting is on par with Bo.  Our 2018 class looks great on paper, but guess how many of those guys are guaranteed to be here?  None.  We have had better classes than the West teams for several cycles, yet we get owned by Wisky and Iowa.  We have talent IMO. We lack developmental coaches and a definitive offensive identity.  

• Plus1 1

For reference, here's what Osborne told Callahan when he became AD:

When I took this position, I had the feeling that the coaches wanted to have some bench marks so they could have some idea as to what they had to do. At that point we were 4-4 and I told them if you win the next four games, then you go 8-4 and there is no question that things are going to be fine. On the other hand, if you win three out of four and play well, I think we can maybe make it work. I can’t promise you, but I think we can make it work. If it’s two out of four, then you break even and we haven’t had many break even seasons around here. So if you have a losing season, I don’t think this will work. So the parameters were fairly clearly spelled out.

It isn’t just a matter of wins and losses; it’s how you do it. If you lose by a field goal and play well, that’s a little bit different than getting blown out three or four times. I tried to make sure that they completely understood. It isn’t all about winning and losing. Believe me, I understand that. If you lose a fairly large number of games by a significant margin and you have fairly good players, which I think we do, then I think there are some systemic issues. I think the players were treated well. But there was something wrong evidently.

So the standard AD Osborne set was 7-5 with no blowouts.

The sixth loss that year, which meant they would break even at best, came courtesy of KU - the game when Nebraska was completely blown out, and Callahan just walked on by Osborne at the end.

• Plus1 4

Just now, NebraskaHarry said:

Im not sure this will even be a bowl eigible team in the end.

This. 

Illinois is terrible. 

Purdue, NW, and Minnesota are MAYBEs

Iowa, Wisconsin, Penn State, and Ohio State will kill us. 

I think we beat Illinois and sneak in maybe one or two more wins somewhere. 

• Plus1 2