8 Wins.

7-5 with no blowouts and he stays. That most realistically means you play 10 point games with Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Penn State while beating teams like Iowa and Minnesota and a sneaky tough road game @ Purdue. 

I would demand an OC change if he stays though. Langs to QB coach and bring an OC that knows what the hell he is doing.

• Plus1 1

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 9:07 PM, FrantzHardySwag said:

Not saying they'll win. Just saying we have a man coaching for his job and has checkmarks to hit. Don't really give a f#*k how he does it, win 7 games by 2 points. Just get there and I'll be happy.

I'm not sure the bolded is correct.  If it is, then you'd think he'd make some changes after his QB threw another pick 6.  With Lee's play thus far in the season, it's going to be very difficult to be competitive the rest of the way as we play better competition. 

42 minutes ago, teachercd said:

3 years ago:  Any monkey could win 9 games at NU...9 wins are pretty much built into the schedule!

Current times:  The Big Ten is a meat grinder, winning 8 games is tough enough, if Riley gets to 7 wins I say he should get another year...maybe even 6-6

my my my how the goalposts have moved

On 9/23/2017 at 11:29 PM, dvdcrr said:

Hey Great!  Every new coach lets just lower the bar one game!  9 Wins for Pelini, 8 wins for Riley!  Somebody please tell Frost all he has to do is win 7!

And we were told that MR was not coming here to rebuild. He was coming here to win championships now! Pee Wee Herman needs to go now so we can salvage this season and start recruiting.

2 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

7-5 with no blowouts and he stays. That most realistically means you play 10 point games with Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Penn State while beating teams like Iowa and Minnesota and a sneaky tough road game @ Purdue. 

I would demand an OC change if he stays though. Langs to QB coach and bring an OC that knows what the hell he is doing.

Why would you keep Langs as QB coach? TA didn't get any better, and the sure first round NFL pick Tanner Lee is leading CFB in interceptions.

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

Four games into the season, and I don't see a good reason to favor Nebraska in any remaining game on the schedule.

Not until proven otherwise. 

If that happens, if Riley and Diaco really turn this team around, get some inspired performances and 7 or 8 wins, yes, of course he deserves another year. 

I wouldn't bet on it at this point. The odds are better that Riley doesn't even finish season three.

But if for some reason Mike Riley strings together 7 seasons of 9 wins, no championships and embarrassing blowouts, he'll be ushered out the same as Pelini. I don't think the standards have changed that much. 

Edited by Guy Chamberlin
  • Plus1 3

I know emotions are high right now, even after winning on Saturday. But just to try to take the emotions out of it...

The deck is stacked against Riley a bit this season due to having to play two teams from the East for our "cross-divisional" games that are currently ranked #4 & #11 (Penn State & Ohio State).

If Penn State was still in the gutter, the outlook wouldn't probably be nearly as bad. But 8-4 means that we not only win the games we should win but also have to go 2-4 against Wisconsin, Ohio State, Penn State, and Iowa. Even f****** Iowa would be the favorite if we were playing them this weekend at this point.

A bit unlucky for Mike, but also, this is a poorly coached team and the responsibility falls on him to make things improve.

• Plus1 1
On 9/23/2017 at 11:10 PM, brophog said:

What is his job? To build a program, to become a consistent winner. You then judge him on his ability to do the things that lead to winning.

If you just look at wins this year, how do you know winning this year leads to wins next year? 

He hasn't built the program, and he isnt a consistent winner in his entire career. Im not saying we should fire him just that your argument is very poor.

7-2 in conference would be very good considering, I just don't see that being a remote possibility.

But I'm not sure we can completely discount the performance in these first 4 games and say 9-4 assures him his job.

Losing to NIU at home, having a nail biter against Arky State and a less than impressive performance vs Rutgers....in year 3....IDK.

Seems to me a new AD should expect more, better expect more. I think it's going to take a respectable showing in the CCG and a helluva lot higher level of play throughout the season than we've seen thus far to even consider keeping MR past this season. The vision and goal of this football program should not be middling and mediocre.

If 8-4 means we go to Indy, it means if we get lucky against Ohio State/Michigan/Penn State in that game we end the conference title drought.

Emotions are high right now. But really, it's hard to fire an 8-4 coach. It just is.

I want to beat Wisconsin and Iowa in the same season so bad. If Riley can't do that this year, there's no real indication that he's made of the right stuff to do this thing.

Riley was 62 when his first season started, correct? I think so. Question: How many years do you give a guy that's 62 to even just win his division when the stated goal is to win championships?