The end of the NFL. CTE will kill it if the

race culture wars doesn't do so first.

NYT starts a war on the NFL over CTE. Story at the link below.

College football is the winner. Nebraska is a leader here. Does Nebraska have the special data gathering helmets. If not, they should.

Just seeing all of the tats on Aaron Hernandez and anyone knew he was nuts. The lawsuit is a loser. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/21/sports/aaron-hernandez-cte-brain.html?smid=pl-share&mtrref=althouse.blogspot.com&gwh=E4B99DF1B7C251B530161790C01A93FB&gwt=pay

This trickles down.  Overall participation in HS football is way down, except in the South.  Even Nebraska is off by more than 20% since its peak in the 90s.   Unless all levels get out front on head safety this sport is doomed.  It only takes one State to ban football (or at least contact) and all the chips will eventually fall.  Don't laugh, the thought of a State banning football might seem impossible, that is what most people thought about indoor smoking bans in the early 90's, once California did, it was only a matter of time.

So where are the control groups in all this research? I've heard that the tau protein in CTE can be found in people who haven't participated in contact sports, but all the research seems to focus solely on those who have. That seems like bad science. I'm not saying their isn't a link, or that this isn't serious, but the research is far from ideal from these studies. How do we know that some people aren't more susceptible than others?

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, Husker Q said:

Hernandez had a long history of being a D-bag before he ever got to the NFL.  Reportedly many NFL teams didn't even have him on their draft board for exactly that reason.  Apparently his family is in denial and hopefully the lawyer has to pay for a ridiculous lawsuit.

The CTE could have began with kids tackle ball.  It sad but here in Louisiana there is travel tackle ball for 8 year olds.  

6 hours ago, grandpasknee said:

I know there is a CTE issue, but I can't tell you how many times I have seen teammates celebrating after a touchdown or big play, and one of the first things they do is leap in the air and headbutt each other.  I just can't figure that out...

maybe the head is numb.  But seriously, I think today's super-duper helmets causes more safety concerns then it prevents.  Guys should play like their head is important.  Plus guys are bigger and stronger then ever before.  

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 0:39 PM, Husker Q said:

Hernandez had a long history of being a D-bag before he ever got to the NFL.  Reportedly many NFL teams didn't even have him on their draft board for exactly that reason.  Apparently his family is in denial and hopefully the lawyer has to pay for a ridiculous lawsuit.

I just scanned the article linked above because I had read a different article last week.  I didn't see it in the linked article, but the article I read stated that his brain and the trauma was severe enough that it would have been expected to come from someone around the age of 62.  Chances are pretty good that his started at a relatively young age which might explain some of his behavior before he got to the NFL. 

This needs to be expressed to the guys who constantly harp on the fact that..."their taking all the fun out of football".

People....if football continues to be considered unsafe to play, the desire for parents to have their kids involved in it will continue to go down.

Now, I don't believe correct rules have been put in place.  BUT...football does have to evolve to survive.  It must become safer or the title to this thread will become true.

I'll tell you, my son loved football in grade school and middle school.  However, now that he is a senior, he really doesn't like it.  He loves football and he really didn't have a desire to get injured in football and not be able to play basketball.  

This is the thought process going through lots of kid's minds.

On 9/24/2017 at 8:44 PM, krc1995 said:

maybe the head is numb.  But seriously, I think today's super-duper helmets causes more safety concerns then it prevents.  Guys should play like their head is important.  Plus guys are bigger and stronger then ever before.  

Completely agree. You always take more risks when you think you have a safety net there to catch you. 

On 9/24/2017 at 3:41 PM, ZRod said:

So where are the control groups in all this research? I've heard that the tau protein in CTE can be found in people who haven't participated in contact sports, but all the research seems to focus solely on those who have. That seems like bad science. I'm not saying their isn't a link, or that this isn't serious, but the research is far from ideal from these studies. How do we know that some people aren't more susceptible than others?

I don't know anything about brain proteins or whatever but I too have wondered about a control group. Surely they're looking at brains from non-contact subjects for a control right?