Maybe it’s Just Me, but...

MKMScat20

I might add that Rutgers played a pretty close game with Washington, actually ranked in the top ten.  In that game Washington played at full strength, where Nebraska played with 6 or 7 starters out, possibly more.

I want to give it the season before we make rash judgments.  If we can succeed with out replacing a coaching staff, I would rather see that.  It seems the Chancellor and President have a realistic approach.

• Plus1 9

We are looking for our next coach.  This smoke and mirror job is only on those bleeding hearts who can't bare to see us starting over again or even possibly with an Ex-Husker like Frost.  For those who are seemingly thinking that Riley even has a chance at staying its funny to even  imagine that.  We fired a 9 win coach to hire Riley.  If by some odd reason Riley wins 9 games, I think he is still out.  We are not winning on the stage.  That stage is getting smaller and our chances are getting narrower.  This whole Black Friday thing come down to us being irrelevant as a major player in conference.  We have Michigan, Ohio ST and Penn St right now being our frontrunners, with Iowa, Wisky and others garnering more attention right now.  If I were these other teams right now I would want more as well.  We haven't kept up in the national spot light.

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

This smoke and mirror job is only on those bleeding hearts who can't bare to see us starting over again or even possibly with an Ex-Husker like Frost.  For those who are seemingly thinking that Riley even has a chance at staying its funny to even  imagine that.  We fired a 9 win coach to hire Riley.  If by some odd reason Riley wins 9 games, I think he is still out.

I think the number of fans who think Riley has much of a chance of staying is very small.

But I also think lots of people ignore the conditional part of conditional statements so they can call people crazy and/or foolish.

If I were to say "If Riley wins the next 9 games," it doesn't mean I think he'll win the next 9 games. It might mean I think there is a 0.0001% chance he'll win the next 9 games. But I'm still allowed to say "If Riley wins the next 9 games" and make whatever my next statement is, without it making me a crazy optimist. It's like... thinking about winning $200 million and what you'd do with the money. It's not going to happen, but that doesn't mean you were a nutjob to think of what you would do with $200 million. It also doesn't mean you're going to be devastated when it doesn't happen.

So that said, if Riley wins 9 games this season (pre-Bowl) that would mean he beat at least 3 of the following 4 teams: Wisconsin, Ohio State, Iowa, Penn State. I really can't see him getting fired this season if he does that. What I can see is the AD preparing to fire him next year if he doesn't improve in 2018. That means beating those types of teams again, and not starting out so horribly.

• Plus1 7

If Coach Riley is fired, I really have no problem with it.  He will have had his chance.  But I think all things should be considered before such action is taken.  I will put my faith in the administration. 

I really have no concern with what a group of loudmouth internet coaches have to say.  I seriously doubt any of you are, but you claim to be, so will go with that.  But as coaches you have gone against the primary rule in coaching.  So your credibility to me is very questionable. 

As some have said, we have fired 9 win coaches, all though both were deserved, do we really want to add a mid season firing to our resume?   Stability and playing on a high level is what the administration has said.  To accomplish that, they are going to have to spend money, and that is something this program does not normally do.  We look for the budget way out.  If this happens, especially mid season, it is going to take a lot more money than Nebraska has ever considered paying.

I have endorsed and supported every coach Nebraska has had other than Mr. Pelini.  I am sure whom ever or if Coach Riley continues I will support them. 

But running around screaming the ship is sinking, wolf or fire does not seem like the right thing to be doing.

• Plus1 5

I think sometimes we can get too caught up with a team's record when a coach is on the hot seat. Record is important, but not all 8-4 and 7-5 seasons are built the same. Nebraska went 10-4 in both 2010 and 2012. Which team did we feel better about at the end of the season and made us feel more positive about the future?

All that said, I think Riley keeps his job if he finishes with an 8-4 record. He loses it if he goes 6-6 or worse. It's a tossup at 7-5.

• Plus1 1

9 hours ago, Moiraine said:

if Riley wins 9 games this season (pre-Bowl) that would mean he beat at least 3 of the following 4 teams: Wisconsin, Ohio State, Iowa, Penn State.

Even if he splits that and doesn't get a Bo level blowout in the other two, I think he gets another year.

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

He gone

Everyone saying he's gone, remember we all thought Bo was done when SE was hired.

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, skersfan said:

I might add that Rutgers played a pretty close game with Washington, actually ranked in the top ten.  In that game Washington played at full strength, where Nebraska played with 6 or 7 starters out, possibly more.

I want to give it the season before we make rash judgments.  If we can succeed with out replacing a coaching staff, I would rather see that.  It seems the Chancellor and President have a realistic approach.

That, and if Riley does anything close to serviceable this season (read: 7-5/8-4) before bowl season, they'll probably keep the staff on one year longer to throw to the proverbial wolves of our 2018 season. It's not a schedule conducive towards success for a new head coach and staff. 

Then if we go 6-6/5-7 next year, then we'll see Riley get the boot and a replacement come in. 

• Plus1 3
5 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

That, and if Riley does anything close to serviceable this season (read: 7-5/8-4) before bowl season, they'll probably keep the staff on one year longer to throw to the proverbial wolves of our 2018 season. It's not a schedule conducive towards success for a new head coach and staff. 

Then if we go 6-6/5-7 next year, then we'll see Riley get the boot and a replacement come in. 

This is just how my brain works but if I am the new AD I think to myself...

I am going to give Riley one more year...if he does great, I look like a stud...if he does bad, well he wasn't my hire!  So I can him, hire a new guy and I get 3-4 more years of my sweet salary.

• Plus1 2

We truly won't see if our Defense is any better until we play tOSU and Penn State.

Wisconsin is going to go heavy on the ground and we should be able to stop that to some extent with this defense I would suggest.  It's our offense against their defense that may give us nightmares.

I'll reserve anymore judgment on the defense until then.

Our offense needs to get going like ASAP.