Offensive Predictability

Mavric

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Forgot to mention above that we seem much more likely to run from under center and pass from the shotgun.

This is an awesome vid in and of itself.  But it's also a spread, shotgun set.  And we pass.

I was watching the first half at a sports bar, and on this play I yelled "run you statue!!!".  Now, Spielman did make a great play to adjust his route and Lee made a great play for the TD pass, but Lee could have easily ran for a first down and more.

• Plus1 1

I was watching for this pattern like a hawk while watching it live, Mavric. 

I do believe that if you do your offensive down-by-down thing again you'll see a pattern where when we lined up at least two receivers wide we were more successful running the ball.

And I don't want this to be a "is Wilbon better than Ozigbo?!" discussion (because I just honestly DGAF either way and don't even necessarily know the answer at all), but Ozigbo got more carries. And Ozigbo is a bit more of a Yards After Carry guy than Wilbon, in my opinion. Our running game was more potent against Rutgers than it was against Northern Illinois.

And yes, I know that Rutgers is an awful team.

But we're starting to see trends. I just freaking hope Riley sees them and puts the pieces together with them by Wisconsin...

Just like Callahan, I think Riley looks at the Big 10 like a bunch of hillbillies.  These coaches with pass first mentality don't understand power football.  I truly think they don't want to understand power football either.  For crying out loud, Riley was a safety/corner at Alabama under Bryant.  He knows, or should know what power football is.  

Its one thing if your Nebraska of the 90's and just run it down peoples throat regardless if they know its coming, because they can't stop it.  We pass it on at every 2nd down, until Lee throws a pick 6, then we will run it for fear of getting ran out of town.

I said the same things about Cally and his offense.  You could predict almost each play before they ran it based on down and distance.  I see some similarity with this guys as well.  Its a west coast brain function.  Instead of beating you and laughing about, they want to outsmart you and then laugh because one of their plays worked!

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

There is no deep threat, especially with Morgan dinged up.  Also, I don't know if the o-line can protect enough for the deep ball.

One would think Lindsey would be able to go deep.  I actually don't think Morgan is all that fast although you could throw up a 50/50 ball.

You don't really need to protect all that long.  A three-step drop with a quick pause and fire should be plenty to get a WR 35-40 yards down the field on a straight go route.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

There is no deep threat, especially with Morgan dinged up.  Also, I don't know if the o-line can protect enough for the deep ball.

Honestly I don't know that Morgan is all that much of a deep threat.  He doesn't get much separation.  They might want to send Tyjon deep.  Also part of the problem is they are running two man routes on one side and a 1 man route on the other.. meaning you are getting a double team on the 1 man side because the safety is coming over to help.  And same thing on the other side. Basically 3 guarding 2 unless there is a blitz on.

Edit, Mav sent his two seconds before me 

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Mavric said:

One would think Lindsey would be able to go deep.  I actually don't think Morgan is all that fast although you could throw up a 50/50 ball.

You don't really need to protect all that long.  A three-step drop with a quick pause and fire should be plenty to get a WR 35-40 yards down the field on a straight go route.

I think Morgan is good at the deep ball because he should have the physicality to go up and get the deep ball in the air.

I am with you on Lindsey though.  He's pretty limited as it is, but he is the fastest WR.  They should be able to send him on a fly route or double move once a quarter or half in hopes of hitting the deep ball.