Filial correction for Pope Francis

zoogs

http://m.ncregister.com/blog/edward-pentin/group-of-clergy-and-laity-issue-filial-correction-of-pope-francis#.WcedNNMjFE6

The letter begins by saying that with “profound grief but moved by fidelity to our Lord Jesus Christ, by love for the Church and for the papacy, and by filial devotion toward yourself” the signatories feel “compelled” to take this action “on account of the propagation of heresies.”

They cite in particular Francis’ apostolic exhortation on marriage and the family, Amoris Laetitia, and “other words, deeds and omissions.”

They accuse the Pope of upholding seven heretical positions about “marriage, the moral life, and the reception of the sacraments” which, they say, has “caused these heretical opinions to spread in the Catholic Church.”

The clergy and scholars “respectfully insist” that Pope Francis condemn the heresies that he has directly or indirectly upheld, and that he teach the truth of the Catholic faith in its integrity.

Huh.

My understanding it that the Pope has taken a more 'liberal' (not meaning political) view of family and marriage than traditional church teaching.  Issues such as gay marriage etc.  I'm not catholic, but my dad is - so I may ask him about this.   These signatories are trying to steer the church back to these traditional teachings and feel the Pope has been persuaded more by cultural trends vs traditional teaching. 

• Plus1 1

I'm really surprised the Catholic church hasn't pushed back against Francis more. I honestly can't believe he ever became Pope in the first place - he certainly does not fit the old guard bill of a religious leader. Evangelicals have hated him since day one, which is frankly absurd to me. I personally love the guy and can't get enough of how much of a breath of fresh air he's been.

Yep. 

Francis has tried his best to drag the Catholic Church, kicking & screaming, into the 21st century. I think he has been exemplary, but I'm not a Catholic. 

Looks like it now dragging back. I was aware he had a cadre of adversaries within the church power structure, but I don't recall them making this bold a move in the past.

He's largely succeeded in his efforts, although to be fair to catholicism, despite it's proliferation of antiquated/ancient customs and traditions, it's been very comfortable with a lot of the social progressions over the last few decades, either embracing and endorsing them or just saying, "hey, we don't necessarily agree but we'd rather just stay out of it." 

When your religion is so steeped in Tradition, it gives you an anchor to hold on to while still being comfortable progressing as culture does. Evangelicalism, on the other hand, made it's anchor out of culturally exempt (or so they thought) moral orthodoxy, while the rest of the religion is completely dependent on relativity (we'll change our buildings/clothes/style of worship music/add a coffee bar/blah blah blah to get you to be interested in us), and then when culture doesn't stay in the place that coincides with their moral power, they're left scrambling.

• Plus1 1