Riley "Never Considered" Making A Change At QB

seaofred92

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Just another anecdotal story.

I was at the Arky St game and was specifically watching the QBs warm up.  They were throwing little "nothing" passes - half speed, no defense, couple drop steps, receivers run a half-speed slant or something simple, ball was in the air less than 15 yards.  After all the off-season hype, I was expecting to see Lee put almost every ball right on the money.  Instead they were relatively all over the place.  They were completed passes but instead of being between the numbers they were on the back shoulder, at the hip, etc.   Nothing terrible but nowhere near as accurate as I was expecting for such a simple pass.  POB was much more on target with his passes (alternating reps).

He was far, far more accurate in the Spring Game than he has been so far this year. 

As much as I'd like to believe this is coach speak, unfortunately I don't think the thought could've crossed his mind. If it did, how do you not pull Lee for at least one series? Anyway you look at it, it's not good. The staff is either too incompetent to know when to sit somebody or they considered it and basically admitted they haven't done a proper job of preparing a backup plan. Anyway you slice it the coaches screwed the pooch.

4 hours ago, BoneyardHusker said:

I said it before regarding this, I hope this was coach speak to the public and he did at least think about sitting him after that pick 6 that almost cost us the game.

You'd think with Conrad and Knevel being over their heads last year the benefit would be they gained valuable experience and improved from that experience into this season, but that isn't the case. They aren't being developed. Just like it appears Lee is not being developed. Just like our RB's appear to not be developed, or at least the right RB's are not getting enough carries.

This lack of development in players is a reason that in year 3 we have regressed rather then hitting our stride with the new staff.

I understand a lot of you're saying - but not developing our RBs?  Not with you there.  

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

In fact, Lee needs more options.  He seems to lock on his intended receiver more than Armstrong did, staring them down at the snap even when he has time to make multiple reads.  He also doesn't seem to audible much, and needs to do it more when the defense tips its hand based on our alignment. 

Lee doesn't appear to be reading the defense at all.  He just gets the play call and goes in and runs that play.  Best example of that is Stanley being left alone on NIU's first pick-six.  Lee hadn't even thrown the ball and the DB had taken four steps toward DPE, yet Lee threw it to him anyway.  Make a simple read on that play and Stanley has the easiest TD of his career.

Watch that play again.  That was a RPO and it was either going to be a run or a bubble screen to DPE.  Stanley was never going to be an option to throw to out of that play. Stanley blew that play by not getting a hand on that DB.  Lee's read was the defender over DPE and the safety over the top both of whom were cheating toward the run and inside the hash (DPE was outside the hash).  He read that correctly and the DB guarding Stanley was still 5 yards from DPE when he released the ball.  Stanley was very complacent on that play.  I don't think his head was in it as the TE who motioned from the other side started off the line on the left side and motioned to on the line on the right side.  Stanley should have backed off the line at that point as he had the TE covered up now and there were only 3 men in the backfield.  That right there may have tipped the DB that either we were running it or throwing the bubble screen.

If he never even considered changing the the qb that scares me.  While Riley is our head coach and Lee is our QB I will support them, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with decisions.

If anyone else was at the game, when we boo'd Lee I thought that was absolutely terrible and un-classy.

I've been a lurker for a long time, but I created an account just so I could put in my 2 cents in on this.

Edit:  Thinking more on this after reading some comments, there could be a million reasons why Riley said that and did what he did.  Guess that is why he makes the money that he does.  :thumbs

4 hours ago, Mavric said:

As sad as this is, I really think this HAS to be the case.  I can't come up with anything else that is anywhere close to explaining how he can wow numerous scouts, etc. on several different occasions and then play like we've seen four the last four games.  Really the only explanation is when he's just out in a 7-on-7 setting he has the skills to get it done.  But as soon as he has the pressure of an actual game and has to worry about getting hit, he almost ceases to function.

did no one on staff see any of his play on film, when he was at Tulane?  makes you wonder who ultimately decided to bring him here.......and why no one else wanted him?? :dunno