Riley "Never Considered" Making A Change At QB

seaofred92

5 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Maybe having a green jersey and no fear of being hit makes him a better QB. I understand not wanting your QB to get hurt, but if I was coaching, I would like to see how my QB does under pressure.

I made that point above, and I think Lee's biggest issue is handling pressure and making good decisions/throws.  Omaha radio guys are saying that "Lee is seeing ghosts in the pocket" because he's been under pressure.  I understand that's the toughest thing for a QB to do, but the coaches need to figure out how well the QB can take pressure or take a hit.

I remember a story about Zac Taylor and Harrison Beck during the pre-season camp in 2006.  In one practice, the coaches were sending the defensive guys to just level the QBs.  On one play, Beck got clobbered by Adam Carriker, and Beck just walked off the field.  Beck basically lost the battle for the #1 QB with Taylor on that play, and Beck turned out to do nothing in his college career.  Meanwhile, Taylor showed amazing toughness for 2 years at NU, taking hits in the pocket, and never backing down.  

1 hour ago, Hunter94 said:

did no one on staff see any of his play on film, when he was at Tulane?  makes you wonder who ultimately decided to bring him here.......and why no one else wanted him?? :dunno

From what I remember, the bolded is inaccurate. Lee also considered LSU but Nebraska had the advantage on him for awhile.

As for the film study, that's difficult to say. Like knapplc said, the Lee we saw in the spring game versus the Lee we see today is pretty incredible and in a bad way. Say what you will about the pressure of a live game scenario, but I would've bet a substantial amount of money following the spring game Lee would at least be an above average quarterback.

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Word is LSU would have taken him if they knew that he would get two years.

Not that LSU has exactly been a breeding ground for great QB talent - they're currently starting a Purdue transfer.

What a dumpster fire that's been, yeah? For being so 'talented' and for having one of the best natural recruiting grounds in the country...

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

From what I remember, the bolded is inaccurate. Lee also considered LSU but Nebraska had the advantage on him for awhile.

As for the film study, that's difficult to say. Like knapplc said, the Lee we saw in the spring game versus the Lee we see today is pretty incredible and in a bad way. Say what you will about the pressure of a live game scenario, but I would've bet a substantial amount of money following the spring game Lee would at least be an above average quarterback.

Did they have a guest kid calling the spring game plays?

9 hours ago, knapplc said:

There are a few issues with this, and all of them represent a huge problem here.

1)  Patrick O'Brien isn't remotely ready to go.  This, after enrolling early, spending two springs, and one full season, including two summer workouts, in the program under this OC, the alleged "Quarterback Whisperer."

2)  O'Brien is ready to go, but the coaches think he'll get killed behind this O Line.  Which is a huge problem pointing at Cavanaugh.

3)  O'Brien is ready to go, they're not that worried about the O Line, but they think Lee is really the guy to lead us this season, meaning we have another Sam Keller situation on our hands.

4)  The coaches see no benefit to letting Lee view a series or two from the sideline to get his bearings.  This is patently false, though. 

I think you forgot 5) (which was stated above) Gebbia is better then POB however they don't wan't to burn the shirt.  If you pull Lee and put in Gebbia - POB is gone.  That doesn't seem to be a wise choice.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, GBRFAN said:

I think you forgot 5) (which was stated above) Gebbia is better then POB however they don't wan't to burn the shirt.  If you pull Lee and put in Gebbia - POB is gone.  That doesn't seem to be a wise choice.

It seems to me after Lee's performance through 3.5 games, if you don't pull him, POB is gone anyway. Us fans weren't the only ones watching that hot mess. I don't really care who Riley replaced him with, it should've been somebody. If it continues another game or 2 with Lee struggling and throwing picks and not getting jerked, POB would be crazy to not leave. I understand not wanting to burn Gebbia's shirt but that doesn't explain leaving TL in at all.

• Plus1 1