Illinois Week Pressers

Mavric

25 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Hmmm....I won't be watching our game this week.  Thanks B1G/Eichorst for this wonderfully scheduled Friday night game.

Eichorst:

Since moving to a nine-game conference schedule, it makes sense from a student-athlete health, safety and welfare perspective to play on Saturday at the end of the regular season.

You know, except for when we play on Fridays that aren't after Thanksgiving. Because it's much safer to play on a random Friday in the middle of the season than on the same Friday the last week.

or maybe POB has decided he is just going to be the number 2 this year and has not had any fire to go out and get the starting job at practice.

Maybe if he was pushing for playing time in practice instead of relegating himself to #2 we would have already seen him this year.

Ozigbo had that problem earlier this year and then started to pick things up in practice, and tada, he got playing time.  

When it comes to playing time Occam's razor almost always applies.  

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, seaofred92 said:

Riley looks absolutely drained. Love him keeping his upbeat attitude though. Cmon Mike baby I believe in you!

Other than supporting the Nebraska football team, players, and coaches, what exactly makes you believe in Riley?  I'm not trying to be a jerk, but what are the specifics that make you believe in Riley being a good coach at NU?

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Other than supporting the Nebraska football team, players, and coaches, what exactly makes you believe in Riley?  I'm not trying to be a jerk, but what are the specifics that make you believe in Riley being a good coach at NU?

Truthfully? I'm just as on the fence about Mike as everyone else here is. But I listen to his pressers and I listen to him talk and since he's been here I think he really has had a vision on what he wants the team and program to look like. I want him to do well. 

Things I've liked:

Probably the biggest thing I've liked since he's been here: he's been willing to make staff changes when it was evident things were not working. Sure, you can spin zone it and say "he never should've brought those guys to begin with", but how many years in the FHCBP era did we unsuccessfully beg for changes in assistant coaches?

While the recruiting numbers look the same in terms of overall team ranking, the class average player rating has risen since HCMR is here. The recruiting machine has modernized, were much better on twitter and social media and we're swinging for the fences there. 

There really hasn't been any excuses since he's taken over. The fans have made them, but Mike has owned everything- good and bad- since he's been here. You can tell he senses the urgency listening to his press conferences. 

Things I Don't Like:

Danny Langsdorf is not a good offensive coordinator nor is he a good play caller. The playbook was actually better with Tommy behind center, as it incorporated more spread looks and plays. Abandoning these plays has hurt us tremendously this year IMO. OCDL is a good quarterbacks coach, and I don't think you can really dispute that. You don't put 3 QB's in the NFL and get hired by a NFL team as QB's coach if you aren't a good QB's coach. If HCMR stays on, I would like to move OCDL to a QB's coach position and bring in an OC this offseason that will run a more spread based system. I don't think you necessarily need a true "dual threat" to run these systems. The passing concepts and options just seem to mesh better with college athletes in a spread playbook than the pro style formations and plays.

I'm still not sold on Mike Cavanaugh. I've seen almost no development from the players on the line, Nick Gates has been very disappointing for the hype he's received. Cav has struck out on the recruiting trail for the most part and this year has been especially bad. 

Lastly, I think the unwillingness to try new players at spots is frustrating. This ties in with the "accountability" stuff Damon Benning has been talking about recently. You hear things about younger players potentially being better than older players, yet older players are still seeing the field despite struggling. Why is that? If Jaylin Bradley gives us the best chance to win, play him. If Tanner Lee leads the country in interceptions, it might be time to give POB a look. Marcus Newby has been downright atrocious out there, yet it took an injury for him to be replaced. At tight end, both Ketter and Hoppes IMO have been disappointments. We don't want to give Snyder or Stoll a look? Englehaupt looked very athletic and had a few nice plays in the spring game, where has he been? Part of the reason our O has looked terribly the past few games is TE drops and missed blocks by the TE's in space. 

Conclusion: 

As of now, my positive statements are more supporting the team/players/coaches than a full fledged belief that this group is the right group to lead UNL going forward. HCMR is still the coach of this current group and I think that the players believe in him and the team. As long as he's the coach at NU I'll continue to support him. I think us coming on here and talking like he's already been fired does nothing but negative things for the program. Until the day comes he's let go, I'm going to refrain from the threads talking about replacement coaches and such and try to be positive. Doesn't mean I can't point out negative things when I see them- like how I can call whether were going to run or pass based off the formation- but I'm done with the "who can we hire" saga until that time comes. Hopefully others get on board with that concept as well as we win more games going forward.

I hope this answers your question. 

• Plus1 6