Illinois Week Pressers

Mavric

4 hours ago, soup said:

or maybe POB has decided he is just going to be the number 2 this year and has not had any fire to go out and get the starting job at practice.

Maybe if he was pushing for playing time in practice instead of relegating himself to #2 we would have already seen him this year.

Ozigbo had that problem earlier this year and then started to pick things up in practice, and tada, he got playing time.  

When it comes to playing time Occam's razor almost always applies.  

Like the Keller/Ganz situation.

5 hours ago, soup said:

or maybe POB has decided he is just going to be the number 2 this year and has not had any fire to go out and get the starting job at practice.

Maybe if he was pushing for playing time in practice instead of relegating himself to #2 we would have already seen him this year.

Ozigbo had that problem earlier this year and then started to pick things up in practice, and tada, he got playing time.  

When it comes to playing time Occam's razor almost always applies.  

I would in almost all circumstances agree with you. But when a QB throws 2 pick 6s in the first half, doesn't score points for the offense, can't help to get back in the game with his legs, and is not a proven commodity, you pull him for a series or 2.

• Plus1 3

8 hours ago, Mavric said:

So we realize that backups can play well given the opportunity but refuse to try that at QB.  

OK.

Maybe the separation between #2 QB and #2/3 RB isn't the same - or maybe the #1 QB has some leadership qualities that are enjoyed by the staff and fellow players.  Then again i'm sure you are right.....

2 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

Maybe the separation between #2 QB and #2/3 RB isn't the same - or maybe the #1 QB has some leadership qualities that are enjoyed by the staff and fellow players.  Then again i'm sure you are right.....

So you're argument is that the #2 QB would be significantly worse than 52% completions and leading the country in interceptions.

Interesting angle.

• Plus1 5

I hear some say that POB doesn't practice well (I'm guessing that means attitude or intensity) and then I hear them say that Lee is great in practice.   Can a staff put too much emphasize on practice?  I know at one point they were limiting contact and speed during practice to reduce injuries but I don't know how you would evaluate guys that aren't participating in real game like situations.  

8 hours ago, krc1995 said:

I hear some say that POB doesn't practice well (I'm guessing that means attitude or intensity) and then I hear them say that Lee is great in practice.   Can a staff put too much emphasize on practice?  I know at one point they were limiting contact and speed during practice to reduce injuries but I don't know how you would evaluate guys that aren't participating in real game like situations.  

Image result for we talkin about practice

• Plus1 3
On 9/25/2017 at 0:30 PM, Mavric said:

So we realize that backups can play well given the opportunity but refuse to try that at QB.  

OK.

I didn't realize nice guys were also stubborn.  I would bet that 90% of current D1 head coaches would have put POB in at some point given how much Lee is struggling.  It's not like he's made just one or two bad decisions.  He has made multiple bad decisions in every game, and his D1-leading Interception total could easily be 13 or 14 rather than 9 given some of the balls he has thrown.  

I will be at Friday's game against Illinois, and if Lee is struggling, I will be yelling for POB to get in.  Having all the best technical skills as a passer is worthless if game day judgment is lacking, and there is no way to know how the backup will do with game day judgment until he is given a shot to prove himself.