As Purely Insane As It Sounds- We Control Our Own Destiny

seaofred92

I know its been a hectic last few weeks since losing to Northern Illinois, and I've contributed to threads regarding the replacement of Riley and Co, but I feel the need to point this out:

We control our own destiny. 

The team overcame a lot to win last week, irregardless of the opponent. AD being fired, rumors the coach could be too, top 5 loss in the history of the program before all that, without our best offensive weapon and top 2 defensive players in addition to multiple other injuries. And then get into the game- Rutgers scores first possession, Lee throws a pick 6, and we're losing in the 3rd quarter. 

But you know what? The team found a way. And as horrible as it might be to watch the rest of the season, if they can keep finding ways to win then they still have all their goals in front of them. This week is at Illinois. If we are able to win on Friday we have an extra day of rest for Wisconsin in Lincoln under the lights. A place Nebraska hasn't lost at night since 2008. A place that Nebraska is 38-5 in all time at night. 

You win that one and all of a sudden you're 3-0. Atop the West alone. And your mindset changes. You get back your #1 safety. You get back your #1 WR. You get back your #1 corner. You can afford to lose a game to Ohio State and still control your destiny in the West. 

This team is talented. We need to get healthy. Clean a few things up and there is no reason this team can't still achieve their goals and win the West. One game at a time, find a way. This team has shown resolve in multiple games this year (Ark State, Oregon, Rutgers). If the team can come together and show resolve in these games and conditions, the fanbase can too. Support the boys and maybe lets drop the "who will replace Mike Riley" talk and cross that bridge when we get to it. 

• Plus1 8

I support the team. I hope we win out. But I refuse to get my hopes up and have unrealistic expectations.

Right now I see no way for this team to win the West. It's possible but unlikely. The talk of replacing coaches is a good distraction from the product on the field; it makes a bad season a little more bearable.

How about we drop the "but we can win the west" talk and cross that bridge when we get to it. 

• Plus1 4
2 minutes ago, Branno said:

I support the team. I hope we win out. But I refuse to get my hopes up and have unrealistic expectations.

Right now I see no way for this team to win the West. It's possible but unlikely. The talk of replacing coaches is a good distraction from the product on the field; it makes a bad season a little more bearable.

How about we drop the "but we can win the west" talk and cross that bridge when we get to it. 

Conference play has started so I'd say we're there......

Also, we are fans. We can look ahead, predict, and call our shots all we want. It doesn't matter what the hell we're thinking/talking about. We're not the ones playing the game (Just a pet-peeve of fandom I have).

• Plus1 8
5 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Conference play has started so I'd say we're there......

Also, we are fans. We can look ahead, predict, and call our shots all we want. It doesn't matter what the hell we're thinking/talking about. We're not the ones playing the game (Just a pet-peeve of fandom I have).

Dude, I literally took the OP's last sentence and turned it around on him. I don't care what people discuss but the point of this entire topic is telling people they shouldn't talk about replacing the coach and need to "support the boys". I guess your pet-peeves only apply to certain fans.

1 minute ago, Branno said:

Dude, I literally took the OP's last sentence and turned it around on him. I don't care what people discuss but the point of this entire topic is telling people they shouldn't talk about replacing the coach and need to "support the boys". 

Yeah, I seen what you did, Dude. However, you suggested we "cross that bridge when we get there" regarding winning the west.  As if it matters what metaphorical bridges we cross as fans. That's what I was responding too.

Optimism is a great thing to have.  I don't know one poster on here that wants the players to feel irrelevant or not wanted.  I don't know if we even want them to fail necessarily.  The issue is this staff appears incapable of producing a constant winner.  In my opinion, the B1G is getting better top to bottom.  We are gravitating to close to the bottom teams right now.  Actually the bottom feeders are getting better, and we are where we were 5 years ago.  This is why the program is not willing to wait any longer for progress in such mi-nute levels.  

• Plus1 1

50 minutes ago, irafreak said:

We do control our own destiny...but are we willing to shell out the necessary cash this time?

I think we will this time. It has been too long since we have had any relevancy and time is running out. I thing the chancellor knows it. But before that discussion becomes a major topic we need to see  most of this season through. I have no illusions about our chances at winning the west. 5% chance IMHO.  I hope the defense steadily improves, but I don't see much hope with the offense. The future AD will be the keystone to our future. GBR!