As Purely Insane As It Sounds- We Control Our Own Destiny

seaofred92

3 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

I know its been a hectic last few weeks since losing to Northern Illinois, and I've contributed to threads regarding the replacement of Riley and Co, but I feel the need to point this out:

We control our own destiny. 

The team overcame a lot to win last week, irregardless of the opponent. AD being fired, rumors the coach could be too, top 5 loss in the history of the program before all that, without our best offensive weapon and top 2 defensive players in addition to multiple other injuries. And then get into the game- Rutgers scores first possession, Lee throws a pick 6, and we're losing in the 3rd quarter. 

But you know what? The team found a way. And as horrible as it might be to watch the rest of the season, if they can keep finding ways to win then they still have all their goals in front of them. This week is at Illinois. If we are able to win on Friday we have an extra day of rest for Wisconsin in Lincoln under the lights. A place Nebraska hasn't lost at night since 2008. A place that Nebraska is 38-5 in all time at night. 

You win that one and all of a sudden you're 3-0. Atop the West alone. And your mindset changes. You get back your #1 safety. You get back your #1 WR. You get back your #1 corner. You can afford to lose a game to Ohio State and still control your destiny in the West. 

This team is talented. We need to get healthy. Clean a few things up and there is no reason this team can't still achieve their goals and win the West. One game at a time, find a way. This team has shown resolve in multiple games this year (Ark State, Oregon, Rutgers). If the team can come together and show resolve in these games and conditions, the fanbase can too. Support the boys and maybe lets drop the "who will replace Mike Riley" talk and cross that bridge when we get to it. 

Worse loss in history period

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

You win that one and all of a sudden you're 3-0. Atop the West alone. And your mindset changes. You get back your #1 safety. You get back your #1 WR. You get back your #1 corner. You can afford to lose a game to Ohio State and still control your destiny in the West. 

I don't think Kalu is our #1 safety..  I know he started the season there but he's not that good of a safety.  Athletic, Yes.  Best safety, no.

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

It doesn't sound insane.  It's just effectively a meaningless statement since virtually every team controls their own destinies this early in the year, every year.

Meh, all y'all're wrong.

If we play Illinois, our destiny is controlled by the Nebraska players, the Illinois players, and both teams' coaches. Maybe a tiny bit the crowd at the stadium and the weather.

Now if we lose to Illinois, our destiny might involve more teams, 'cause certain other games have to fall into place the right way.

10 minutes ago, Sparker said:

Semantics; we, the fans, don't control anything- the players and coaches do... at least, that's how I interpreted it.

7 minutes ago, unlfan said:

Ah yes, that strawman. Got it.

To unflan - We (the fans) don't control anything - so it's stupid to tell people what not to talk about. But that has absolutely 0 to do with my post.

Sparker - I'm saying, tongue in cheek, that "we" (as in the Nebraska Cornhuskers football team) don't control our own destiny. I know it's a common saying. I was just being silly. But it's also a silly saying if you really think about it. Ya, if the team plays super, amazingly well and wins all the games, they'll go to the Big Ten Championship. But there's a whole hell of a lot more that goes into whether that happens. For instance, how well the opponents play.

I thought I explained the (silly) argument in detail in the post I made.

Yes, Nebraska controls its own destiny. But Mike Riley is the captain of this ship ....which is like me leading an expedition on Mt. Everest. I have no business being there and no business leading others to certain death. But, there's a chance I don't fall off the side of the cliff and take everyone with me.....cheers. :cheers

• Plus1 1
On 9/25/2017 at 5:27 PM, Branno said:

I support the team. I hope we win out. But I refuse to get my hopes up and have unrealistic expectations.

Right now I see no way for this team to win the West. It's possible but unlikely. The talk of replacing coaches is a good distraction from the product on the field; it makes a bad season a little more bearable.

How about we drop the "but we can win the west" talk and cross that bridge when we get to it. 

To be consistent, you have to drop the "I see no way for this team to win the West talk". We can cross that bridge when we get to it. The only hope that this team ever had was to grow throughout the season. The D is doing that it seems. The question has to be, how much do they grow. lets take it one game at a time and cross bridges as we get to them. 

17 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

We've missed the biggest pet peeve here for me:

The point of a destiny is that it cannot be controlled.

I've been told that destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice.

I've also been told that Destiny works at (insert strip club name here)

• Plus1 4