A Case for Trev Alberts

ScawFraw

https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/booster-theres-tom-osborne-clone-state-nebraska-trev-alberts

Interesting discussion here.  You are most likely in the camp of "We must have Nebraska ties to right the ship" or the camp of "We need an outsider with a proven track record".  This article is for a guy with strong Nebraska ties, obviously.   I don't care either way personally, I just want someone to fix it.  But I do like what I heard on Big Red Overreaction:  We need to learn how to win without Tom.

• Plus1 1

The only case for Trev Alberts is that he played at Nebraska. Unlike Scott Frost, who will be a name in other "big time" P5 schools coaching searches if we don't hire him first, Alberts has virtually nothing to stand on as far as a resume for this caliber of position. 

He might be great, but if he is, it won't be because we knew that all along, but rather because we got lucky.

• Plus1 3

I'm worried Trev is a "my way or the highway" type. Don't know why, just have a uneasy feeling about him, If he is the next AD. I would like for the next AD to have the Cornhusker ties. Which Trev has and so doe's Rimington. Feel better about Remington taking over. Who ever it is, I wish them the best, as i feel either one will have Nebraska's best interest in mind.

GBR!!!

I think that we might be making the AD job harder than it really is...for years a coach retired and became AD and things worked just fine.  To think that the AD is the one that is actually doing all the contracts of the coaches and TV stations and renovations is probably not accurate, they have a team that does that and the AD looks it over and signs off on it after getting all the information.  

The most important things that AD's do is hire/fire and shake hands.  

• Plus1 2
10 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Like you, I don't care which route they go. 

I have a hunch that Rimington is going to be the AD, both interim, and long term.

Personally, I hope that's not the case with Rimington since he has zero experience operating an athletic department, football program and has never evaluated a coaching position for a major division one program (be it football, basketball, baseball, etc.) My gut suggests he's a good fundraiser and temporary face of the program but not someone you want running the whole show for the future.

Agree with you and OP, though. I don't care so much about the route so long as they're the best candidate available when all the factors are weighed and measured.

• Plus1 1
27 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I think that we might be making the AD job harder than it really is...for years a coach retired and became AD and things worked just fine.  To think that the AD is the one that is actually doing all the contracts of the coaches and TV stations and renovations is probably not accurate, they have a team that does that and the AD looks it over and signs off on it after getting all the information.  

The most important things that AD's do is hire/fire and shake hands.  

I agree. Just don't be an idiot and the AD should basically be invisible. But when you start firing coaches because players complain or hiring coaches that no one has ever heard of with a .500 career record, that makes you visible....and that is no bueno. 

• Plus1 2

I just hope they take their time in choosing an AD that will fit here in Nebraska. That they wouldn't be too proud to use an agency to help them out! (There is an amazing company in their own back yard!) Would I like it to be someone in Nebraska ties? Absolutely, but what is more important is a good fit so that we don't have to keep doing this every 3-4 years!  

15 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Word is the Powers That Be have big time boosters in their ears about who should be the next AD.  You can guess who that is.

Also, word is a bunch of those boosters were at least as interested in the UCF/Maryland game as the Husker game last weekend.

Frankly, not surprising. If you look at the board as a sample size of the fan base then you can see that there is a lot of support for Trev and Scott. Booster are just rich fans, so it comes as no surprise there are a few pushing for this.

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, Sparker said:

Frankly, not surprising. If you look at the board as a sample size of the fan base then you can see that there is a lot of support for Trev and Scott. Booster are just rich fans, so it comes as no surprise there are a few pushing for this.

The best ADs (and Powers that Be) are the ones that don't let the inmates run the asylum. 

Case in Point: Texass.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, VectorVictor said:

The best ADs (and Powers that Be) are the ones that don't let the inmates run the asylum. 

Case in Point: Texass.

I'm certain Eichorst didn't let the inmates influence his decision to hire Riley. 

When Trev is hired to bring in Frost I don't think anyone will influence his decision to hire Frost. As long as he hires Frost.

• Plus1 1