MR surviving the season

On 9/27/2017 at 2:21 PM, admo said:

Survives the season.  Like the guy.  My gut says he'll be gone after the season.  I don't see them winning enough.

- They can't score 40-50+ points like so many teams do easily.  Why is this so hard to do at Nebraska anymore?

- They invite defenders into the box with their bunch sets. And then attack the box.  Ohhh, that's why.

- They don't dominate games.  They play to stay in games. That benefits the other team.

- Special teams isn't so special.

- They don't create turnovers.

- Many other teams use spread formations to gain an advantage, and it works.  It works against us, and we don't use it.

Hate to admit this but... Riley, Langs and Cavanaugh have turned us into Nebraska State.

Oh, man! Now we're going to start losing to Hayden Fox and the Screaming Eagles?!

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

If Riley can make it to 8-4, then he probably deserves another year.  8-4 more than likely means wins over Wisc and Iowa and losses to Ohio St and Penn St.  And if that happens, we are West champs (assumes Wisconsin loses 1 more game besides to NU).

Agreed. And then, if we get really lucky in Indy, we end the conference title drought. Either way, he's very unlikely to get fired at 8-4. Possibly if we were to be completely embarrassed in Indy.

The thing about winning the West is that we play two tough teams from the East (Ohio State & Penn State), while the favorite Wisconsin only plays one tough team from the East (Michigan). Wisconsin likely loses that game to Michigan. 

But after having played a third of the season, I think it's incredibly unlikely we could make it to 8-4. And if we're 7-5, I assume we'd have to have beaten Wisconsin and then have them lose two other games to have a shot at winning the West. Just sounds incredibly unlikely.

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

If Riley can make it to 8-4, then he probably deserves another year.  8-4 more than likely means wins over Wisc and Iowa and losses to Ohio St and Penn St.  And if that happens, we are West champs (assumes Wisconsin loses 1 more game besides to NU).

Which would be an incredible turnaround from what we've seen thus far. I would put that at around 3% probability as of now.

• Plus1 1

Being honest, Illinois kind of scares me tomorrow night.  They had a bye week to study game film, watch Tanner Lee's eyes stare down receivers, Lovie is a decent defensive coach.  Before we worry to much about beat Northwestern and Wisky, lets make sure we have enough fire power to beat the Illini.  I think this could be a trap game for us.  WE have had a rough, up and down two weeks.  Illinois has been home watching this, and practicing.  Illinois has maybe played at least one better team, and scored some points on them in defeat.  Lets not think for one minute, this is a cakewalk.

Just now, Nebhawk said:

Being honest, Illinois kind of scares me tomorrow night.  They had a bye week to study game film, watch Tanner Lee's eyes stare down receivers, Lovie is a decent defensive coach.  Before we worry to much about beat Northwestern and Wisky, lets make sure we have enough fire power to beat the Illini.  I think this could be a trap game for us.  WE have had a rough, up and down two weeks.  Illinois has been home watching this, and practicing.  Illinois has maybe played at least one better team, and scored some points on them in defeat.  Lets not think for one minute, this is a cakewalk.

This should be a cakewalk, but it probably won't be.

Lovie has a good reputation, but this is a bad, bad defensive team. They do have a pair of DEs that can be disruptive if you allow them to pin their ears back.

On the other side, their offensive line is one of the worst in college football. I couldn't believe what I saw, tbh.

19 hours ago, BigRedN said:

Huskerboard members have not surprised me at all.  The supposed amazing season was gonna be 10-2 or 9-3 for the majority of the board (I'm not throwing any stones at those predictions ... it could actually still happen).  We lost to UNI ... and now MR should be fired.  

I think we are still on track to hit the 7-5 projected mark.  It's where I thought we would be.  I'd be curious to know where the 10-2 or 9-3 folks project us finishing up now.  I see too many posts now where we might only win a few games, maybe four games or go 5-7.  I'd be hopeful that the 10-2 or 9-3 crowd now see the 7-5 as the projection and not 2-10 or 3-9.

I'm actually still where I was at the beginning of the season ... 7-5 this year and next year we improve a bit but the schedule is brutal and we go 7-5 or 6-6 ... then, Huskers move on to the next rebuilding plan.  This is what I thought would happen.  Now, with the AD being fired ... I have no clue.  All I really think at this point is that the bump in recruiting was MR, the man ... and I really wonder how many of the top kids like Bookie or even the whole Calabraska movement continues.  

In the end ... the Husker program is/has been in shambles.  I will continue to support MR this season ... and no, I don't believe he is the answer.

Funny.  I haven't made any preseason predictions for a while now.  You can count on us losing at least one or two games we should win and maybe beating one team we shouldn't since 2003.  Just that statement alone should make every diehard, loyal fan cringe.  We were once a program who did not care who was on the schedule.  Now we auto assume that we can't compete with Ohio St, Wisky, Michigan, and Penn St.  

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, brophog said:

This should be a cakewalk, but it probably won't be.

Lovie has a good reputation, but this is a bad, bad defensive team. They do have a pair of DEs that can be disruptive if you allow them to pin their ears back.

On the other side, their offensive line is one of the worst in college football. I couldn't believe what I saw, tbh.

South Florida is a really good team, with strong lines on both sides of the ball.  They are above average in all regards.  They manhandled the Illini.  I don't know if we have the ponies to do so.  If we run the damn ball, we could win very easily.:bang

The more and more I hear it seems to me Mike Riley’s fate has already been sealed. He was very reflective in his press conference this week. Bruce Feldman talking on Fox that he’s hearing even 8-4 doesn’t save his job. Then Mark Helfrich said he was just on the field with Mike and the staff and “the vibe was not good.” All signs are pointing to a new direction next year.

8 minutes ago, Sker4Ever said:

The more and more I hear it seems to me Mike Riley’s fate has already been sealed. He was very reflective in his press conference this week. Bruce Feldman talking on Fox that he’s hearing even 8-4 doesn’t save his job. Then Mark Helfrich said he was just on the field with Mike and the staff and “the vibe was not good.” All signs are pointing to a new direction next year.

Did IADDR tell them that?  I think that is unlikely but they probably see the writing on the wall.  If the coaches are making that assumption then it indicates that also believe their performance wasn't good enough.