What happens when Frost or Trev turns Nebraska down?

soup

2 hours ago, FTW said:

It sucks to say, but, if we want to be the cream of the crop in the West, we have to model our team after Wisconsin and go back to our own roots. Recruit beefy offensive linemen, throw in a talented back or two, talented tight ends, and either a dual threat game manager/playmaker in the Russell Wilson mold.

Why? This sort of statement comes up a lot without much to back it up. Why this style, specifically, and above all other styles? College football has shown many ways to win, and the one common denominator is that teams that win consistently execute whatever they do well. That's why Washington St is suddenly noteworthy, that's why Nebraska was once noteworthy. Different styles, but the same high execution. Can anyone tell me one play, over the last several years, that Nebraska ran consistently well? I can't over the course of several coordinators. I can think of fly by night plays that worked for a short stretch, but I can't recall one for a very long time that was the kind of play executed to a high degree that one could have confidence in.

Let's paint a scenario for the idea that Nebraska has to copy Wisconsin in order to break through this current ceiling. Suppose Nebraska is the top team in the West. If you don't like that, suppose Nebraska and Ohio St swapped divisions permanently. Paint it however, but don't change Wisconsin. What is the viewpoint of Wisconsin now? They're now Bo Pelini...5-3/4-4, 9/10 wins. Maybe they don't get blown out as often (cough 59-0 cough), but they're Bo Pelini. When you look at Wisconsin's record against the best Big Ten sides, which conveniently all are in another division, it's not great (they've also dodged most of the better teams). The team they've most consistently played is Ohio St, whom they've lost the last 5. They played Michigan once since 2010, lost. They've lost the last 3 to Penn St (and 5 of the last 6). They've played MSU once since 2012 (win last year).

It appears to me that the thing that is making Wisconsin seem worthy of copying is that Nebraska isn't.

• Plus1 2

9 minutes ago, brophog said:

College football has shown many ways to win, and the one common denominator is that teams that win consistently execute whatever they do well.

This is 100% the answer. Do something and execute it so well that it works. Nebraska used to do this, running the ball sure, but it was about being really, really good at it. Everyone knew it, but it was done anyway.

1 hour ago, Hayseed said:

Okay, but why would he come here if he just got to the #1 program?

Most successful people have egos and I think we would all agree that Byrne really doesn't need to do anything when it comes to the football program except keep Saban as happy as possible.  Honestly, outside of some baseball success, I struggle to think of a time Alabama has been mentionable in any other sport.  The question Byrne needs to ask himself is does he want to stay at Alabama knowing that he'll get zero credit for any football success which is really the only thing that Alabama cares about, or does he want to ride the gravy train for a while while Saban is still there?

17 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Most successful people have egos and I think we would all agree that Byrne really doesn't need to do anything when it comes to the football program except keep Saban as happy as possible.  Honestly, outside of some baseball success, I struggle to think of a time Alabama has been mentionable in any other sport.  The question Byrne needs to ask himself is does he want to stay at Alabama knowing that he'll get zero credit for any football success which is really the only thing that Alabama cares about, or does he want to ride the gravy train for a while while Saban is still there?

At some point in time, he's also going to have to replace Saban when he retires.  If anyone thinks being an AD here is tough, think how hard it will be to replace Saban.   

• Plus1 1

16 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

At some point in time, he's also going to have to replace Saban when he retires.  If anyone thinks being an AD here is tough, think how hard it will be to replace Saban.   

Dabo Swinney is a Bama grad, so I would assume he would be the first person to get contacted when Saban retires.  After that, I have no clue.  They could very well be in the same situation when they tried to replace Bear Bryant in the early 1980s.

I just read a sporting news article which was about Butch Jones and Tennessee.  What was said in the article about Jones was eerily similar to what we're faced with.  I get probably two thirds of the way through it where they start talking about who should replace Jones.  Low and behold, who's name do you suppose shows up?  Basically, it says Tennessee could take a run at Frost first.  I can't believe there are honestly people questioning whether or not Frost makes any power 5 short lists.

1 minute ago, junior4949 said:

I just read a sporting news article which was about Butch Jones and Tennessee.  What was said in the article about Jones was eerily similar to what we're faced with.  I get probably two thirds of the way through it where they start talking about who should replace Jones.  Low and behold, who's name do you suppose shows up?  Basically, it says Tennessee could take a run at Frost first.  I can't believe there are honestly people questioning whether or not Frost makes any power 5 short lists.

I don't get that feeling that people have that Frost needs more time at UCF or another school, and then he can come to NU.  If NU doesn't go after Frost this year, they will most likely not have another chance.  The timing of a hire depends on a lot of luck, and if NU doesn't make a move on Frost this year, I don't see the timing working out well again.

• Plus1 1

47 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

I don't think many thought he would not make the list of other programs in need of a coach.  Personally, I have just said that he should not be considered the only candidate or hired without looking at all options. 

2 minutes ago, HuskerPowerVA said:

I don't think many thought he would not make the list of other programs in need of a coach.  Personally, I have just said that he should not be considered the only candidate or hired without looking at all options. 

I agree on the bolded.  It's possible he turns us down.  Without other candidates, we'll look exactly like we did at the end of the 03' season. 

• Plus1 2