Put Up or Shut Up Time

Nebfanatic

Well folks, it was fun to get a couple wins against the BIGs biggest cupcakes, but playtime is now over.

No matter how you stand on Mike Riley as the leader of the Huskers, you have to admit this may be the biggest game of his career here. 

We've been so close to Wisconsin since Riley arrived. Can he finally get it done? Doing so would be a huge boost to his job security and have us sitting in great position on top of the west. 

And if we can't get it done, well.....

I like Riley and I want to give him more time, but beating Wisconsin is a hurdle we have to get over. This is the most important game when it comes to Rileys job security imo. This is our new benchmark and if we are below it consistently, which we have been since we joined this conference, something needs to be done.

Time to put up or shut up Mike. This is the biggest game in your Husker career, what are you going to do with it? 

• Plus1 2

He doesn't need to beat Wisconsin. Just being competitive in the game and not losing to them in a way that is undeniably his fault(see poor clock management) will earn him some respect by most.

if we lose the game in a hard fought 20-23 fashion, I think most fans will be a bit disappointed, but ultimately we'll be content.

Same can be said for Ohio State.

That's  the expectation of realistic Husker fans. Win the games we're supposed to and be competitive in the big games.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, HuskerMav11 said:

He doesn't need to beat Wisconsin. Just being competitive in the game and not losing to them in a way that is undeniably his fault(see poor clock management) will earn him some respect by most.

if we lose the game in a hard fought 20-23 fashion, I think most fans will be a bit disappointed, but ultimately we'll be content.

That's  the expectation of realistic Husker fans. Win the games we're supposed to and be competitive in the big games.

While I agree that would be a good sign and I would have respect for Riley, close losses aren't enough to save his job. 

I know Wisconsin is one of the best teams in the conference but we have the talent to win the game. If we are ever going to be one of the best in the West we have to start beating Wisconsin not just losing tough ones. 

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

I'd like to think that bringing in Diaco was, at least partly, to get over the hump on both Wisconsin and Iowa.  

At the end of the day our team needs to be built around that strategy.  Beating Oregon would be nice, but beating Wisconsin is critical.

I couldn't agree more. The non con games hurt this season but I could care less about the non con if we win the west. That's the first step for this team then we can worry about competing nationally which means winning your non con schedule 

I believe college football is largely based on emotion and confidence, assuming no cavernous gaps in coaching or talent. A solid road win gives a confidence boost going into this week. If they can get off to a good start next Saturday, at night, get the crowd into it, who knows what could happen.

I will be headed to Lincoln from Denver next week and hope the atmosphere is worth it.

2 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I believe college football is largely based on emotion and confidence, assuming no cavernous gaps in coaching or talent. A solid road win gives a confidence boost going into this week. If they can get off to a good start next Saturday, at night, get the crowd into it, who knows what could happen.

I will be headed to Lincoln from Denver next week and hope the atmosphere is worth it.

Well I can guarantee the atmosphere will be worth it! Nothing like a Husker night game, GBR!

58 minutes ago, HuskerMav11 said:

I absolutely under no circumstance be content with being competitive. Realistic husker fans? Seriously? Win the games where supposed to win? The rhetoric is done tired and over. We are supposed to win this game, I don't care what the betting line is.  It's win or nothing, this pampering of husker fans and this attitude of win the games for clearly the better team in needs to stop. We have already lost 2 games this year, when I believe we were better then both those teams.  So what does that mean?  You need to win this game this weekend, what is wrong with expecting Mike to win at HOME, against a team you're more talented then? I will not be content and guarantee you the majority will not as well. 

RANT

• Plus1 1

Win the games we're supposed to win means we're undefeated at this point.

It's not pampering, it's called sliding expectations.

You can have the expectation to win every game we play if you like, but sorry, that's not realistic. I'm not pandering to any rhetoric, I just prefer to not live in a world where I'm constantly let down because my expectations are constantly not met.

It's very much your opinion that we're more talented than Wisconsin. 

The players should strive to win every game. The fans can be a bit more realistic, you know, if they want to...

Edit: Also being competitive means sometimes you win the big games. Never said that we always lose to ranked opponents...

• Plus1 2

I agree, the next two games would be a good time for HCMR, the rest of the coaches and the team to make a statement.  

Your thread title did seem a little trite though.  "Put up or Shut up" ?  That makes it sound as though Riley has been running off at the mouth making brash statements and such, which I don't think has been happening.  Truth is, I suspect if the team were to win out (I concede that is about as unlikely as the world ending on Sept 23), there would still be people wanting him gone.  So it goes I guess.

Well here is the deal. Even though we have beaten two of the worst teams in the B1G, it was enough to instill some hope in saving this season from total disaster. Whether it's for a week at the very least we get 6 days of talk about competing in the West. Riley beats Wisconsin and suddenly we are in real discussion to win the West and talk can really begin on if we can turn this season around and do something remarkable. Of course Wisconsin can come in and beat us like they have since we've joined the conference.

5 minutes ago, dtbugeater said:

Nebraska has has a legit reason to think they beat Wisconsin and are suddenly in the drivers seat in the west. 

If NU beats Wisconsin, we still have to overcome some pretty damn big games.

OSU, Penn State, Iowa.

Tack on not losing to any of the mediocre teams on our schedule.

Every game from this point on is at best a coin flip.

Call me crazy but Nebraska matches up really well against Wisconsin.

They have a weak to moderate-armed quarterback who will not threaten the secondary and I think our front seven can slow down or contain their short game and running game pretty well.

I'm less worried about the offense - I think they will find a way to score 17-20 and I don't see Wisconsin scoring that many.