Put Up or Shut Up Time

Nebfanatic

7 minutes ago, hskrpwr13 said:

The biggest thing I worry about after watching UW/NW is our secondary. We better hope we can rattle Hornibrook or our DBs are toast.

Ya, personally, I think we get "toasted and roasted".  These guys just can't seem to get turned around to defend the ball.  They think defending the receiver is the goal.  They can't get themselves in the right spots and can't seem to leverage their angles.  Frankly, I just don't get it.  

Time to put up or shut up.  Thats the bottom line.  I'm sick of moral victories.  Screw that.  It's called the National Champion, conference champion etc....No one gives two sh!ts about getting close, or we lost by 3......That's a loser mentality.  If that's the attitude the kids are being taught, then the whole staff needs to go. Not saying it is, but the acceptance of mediocrity on the fan base sucks.  Looking to keep it respectable?  As long as there's no blow out losses......No thanks.  Win.  

We've had too many years of trying to rationalize we aren't as bad as we appear.......Respectability starts by knocking off Wisky.  Next week at home.  Diaco was brought in to beat Wisky with the 3-4.  Riley needs to explain the situation to Langs.  If Langs gets it great.  If not, take over play calling duties.  He did it at OSU, he can do it here....

As much as Cally was wrong for NU, he was right in his "Restore the order" mentality.

• Plus1 1

31 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

The original post and this one are spot on in my opinion.  Especially with a new AD coming in.  Nebraska and MR are just not in a position any longer for a moral victory.  Hell, I think we would all be pleased if we lost games and felt like Nebraska was still Nebraska ... playing hard, well coached, fighting for every yard, never giving up, executing, playing sound football, playing smart ... in every game.  The question is ... over the last three years have we seen that?  NOPE.  Now, like it or not ... you better WIN ... and even that might not be enough.

I respect the hell out of Wisky ... but it's not because they have great players.  They simply play football the way we use to play ... even the years our talent was down ... we still played hard, blue collar football.  That is now gone.

I like the original post ... time to "put up or shut up."

Go Big Red ... believe in yourself and GET IT DONE!

9 minutes ago, lo country said:

Time to put up or shut up.  Thats the bottom line.  I'm sick of moral victories.  Screw that.  It's called the National Champion, conference champion etc....No one gives two sh!ts about getting close, or we lost by 3......That's a loser mentality.  If that's the attitude the kids are being taught, then the whole staff needs to go. Not saying it is, but the acceptance of mediocrity on the fan base sucks.  Looking to keep it respectable?  As long as there's no blow out losses......No thanks.  Win.  

We've had too many years of trying to rationalize we aren't as bad as we appear.......Respectability starts by knocking off Wisky.  Next week at home.  Diaco was brought in to beat Wisky with the 3-4.  Riley needs to explain the situation to Langs.  If Langs gets it great.  If not, take over play calling duties.  He did it at OSU, he can do it here....

As much as Cally was wrong for NU, he was right in his "Restore the order" mentality.

Both of these posts are exactly spot on.

If it is year 1 of a coach's tenure, maybe you can point at moral victories and as fans it is a nice talking point.  However, firing an Athletic Director in September puts the pressure on the staff to win RIGHT NOW.  I hope they rise to the challenge and win because if they don't, they won't get another chance.  This is why I feel like if we do not win the West division, the admin at Nebraska will go a different direction.  I just don't think Hank Bounds is okay with moral victories in football.  He feels we have the resources to win championships, and that is his expectation.  Don't underestimate how much that feeling permeates everything at UNL.  He won't settle for a nice guy winning 8 or 9 games that isn't competing for championships.

Eichorst was fired for hiring a guy that has never won a conference title and bringing him to a place where being in the running for that is expected.  That means Riley had better prove he can win the division this season.

• Plus1 1

Dear Mike,

If you're gonna suck, then for the sake of the Husker Nation, suck now and suck hard. We need a clear-cut case for firing you, or a clear-cut case for keeping you. Don't leave us in the purgatory of a performance that leaves us saying "Well... maybe?" and will leave a lot people feeling pissed off whether the new AD keeps you or fires you.

Love, Toe

• Plus1 7

In all honesty, Iowa might already be out of the Division title race, given their 0-2 start and their remaining schedule. 

A win against Wisconsin (and their presumed loss against Michigan) allows Nebraska to lose to Ohio State and Penn State, assuming they handle everyone else on the schedule, and neither NW or Minnesota go on a miraculous run.

A very critical game early in the season. Win it and control your destiny. I hope they are able to come out on top this time.

• Plus1 1

Boy, how the times have changed.  Ever since Bob Devaney came to Lincoln from WY, it was to make NU into a winner.  Not competing, no doing ok, no "moral" victories.....but to WIN.  NU has all the facilities and resources it needs to do this and since the early 2000's we have been in constant purgatory and have watched college football catch up and pass us by.  From the late 60's to late 90's, everyone in Nebraska expected to win every game.  Period, end of story.  We expected to take on anyone and win.  For 30+ years, we were competing for championships almost every single season.  Even the "bad" seasons, we were better than 9 wins and were bowling.  After doing this for 30+ years, the standard was set, and we have fallen on some very hard times.  Even the 9 and 10 win seasons in the last decade, it was obvious that the NU swagger was gone and things have not been right.  I don't want to show up Saturday to hope we keep it close and walk away happy if we lose.  Losing by 3 or 30 is still a big L on the schedule.  It is sad that we even debate the idea of not winning them all every year, but that is how far we have fallen.

• Plus1 6

27 minutes ago, 10_point_buck said:

Boy, how the times have changed.  Ever since Bob Devaney came to Lincoln from WY, it was to make NU into a winner.  Not competing, no doing ok, no "moral" victories.....but to WIN.  NU has all the facilities and resources it needs to do this and since the early 2000's we have been in constant purgatory and have watched college football catch up and pass us by.  From the late 60's to late 90's, everyone in Nebraska expected to win every game.  Period, end of story.  We expected to take on anyone and win.  For 30+ years, we were competing for championships almost every single season.  Even the "bad" seasons, we were better than 9 wins and were bowling.  After doing this for 30+ years, the standard was set, and we have fallen on some very hard times.  Even the 9 and 10 win seasons in the last decade, it was obvious that the NU swagger was gone and things have not been right.  I don't want to show up Saturday to hope we keep it close and walk away happy if we lose.  Losing by 3 or 30 is still a big L on the schedule.  It is sad that we even debate the idea of not winning them all every year, but that is how far we have fallen.

Sorry, for you to win at Nostalgia Husker Bingo you need to reference TO + Devaney by name to earn the space.  Also, you didn't mention the option.  Better luck next time.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Sorry, for you to win at Nostalgia Husker Bingo you need to reference TO + Devaney to earn the space.  Also, you didn't mention the option.  Better luck next time.

So, what part of this do you disagree with?  The standards were set and established for 30+ years and are not being met.  When was the last time that we were even relevant for 2 or 3 years in a row?  It does not matter that Devaney or Orsborne were mentioned or not, it is the process of being a champion and they established this.

• Plus1 3
Just now, 10_point_buck said:

So, what part of this do you disagree with?  The standards were set and established for 30+ years and are not being met.  When was the last time that we were even relevant for 2 or 3 years in a row?  It does not matter that Devaney or Orsborne were mentioned or not, it is the process of being a champion and they established this.

First off, your sarcasm meter is in need of a tune.  You didn't really make a statement so I can't agree or disagree with anything.  You just typed in the same tired rant that people have repeated ad nausem for the past 15 years.  What Nebraska pulled off in the 30+ years you mentioned was the zenith of Nebraska football and will never be repeated again unless there is a drastic change to the CFB landscape.  Every conceivable advantage Nebraska had during their run has been erased.  I do agree with the OP in that this is the crux of the Mike Riley era.  

• Plus1 1