Lee B. on Wisconsin

Because that model has not proven that it can win a NC and no matter how low we are right now as we climb the ladder with MR or whoever is the coach we as fan's all know that anything short of making the playoffs and/or competing for NC's on more than one occasion per decade is not good enough

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

Because that model has not proven that it can win a NC and no matter how low we are right now as we climb the ladder with MR or whoever is the coach we as fan's all know that anything short of making the playoffs and/or competing for NC's on more than one occasion per decade is not good enough

We can all keep saying that all we want but winning multiple conference titles and having consistent top 15 finishes over a decade span would be perfectly acceptable in my eyes. 

• Plus1 7
On 9/28/2017 at 2:02 PM, BigRedBuster said:

During this 20 years we have gone through periods where everyone thought we were trying the "Nebraska way" and that turned out bad.

Honestly, I don't give a rip where the person who is hired went to college.  I want them to be extremely qualified for the job.

I've said it before.  It's not a good omen for the future of the program if the ONLY way we are successful is if we have people running it from the "glory days".

25 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

What you are failing to address if Nebraska did run this system it would have way more talent at the skill positions. Nebraska always out recruits Wisconsin, that talen discrepancy should make a difference.

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, runningblind said:

We can all keep saying that all we want but winning multiple conference titles and having consistent top 15 finishes over a decade span would be perfectly acceptable in my eyes. 

To win any conference championship you have to beat the best team in the east.  Looking at the best team from the east each of the past 5 years explain to me how that's going to happen - and your using the word multiple? that is comical and again the second we start sniffing the top 15 we as fans will want the next level.  Times have changed put down the flip phone and google "past playoff teams"

3 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

To win any conference championship you have to beat the best team in the east.  Looking at the best team from the east each of the past 5 years explain to me how that's going to happen - and your using the word multiple? that is comical and again the second we start sniffing the top 15 we as fans will want the next level.  Times have changed put down the flip phone and google "past playoff teams"

In the last eight seasons, Wisconsin has won 10 or more games six times. They've won three conference titles and played for two more. They've finished the season ranked in seven of those eight seasons and finished in the top 10 three times. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wisconsin_Badgers_football_seasons

You wouldn't take that for Nebraska over the next eight years?

• Plus1 3
51 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

You mean like two years ago when one of our worst teams beat the team that won the B1G that year?

• Plus1 3
6 minutes ago, Mavric said:

You mean like two years ago when one of our worst teams beat the team that won the B1G that year?

That wasn't one of our worst teams that was one of our worst records - the two are not always the same. Plus I don't think that win that you are discussing gave us a conference championship - did it?  i thought that was what we were discussing.  Again as always, you are so quick to attack my post - just take a second and breathe before you type.

1 hour ago, Hans Gruber said:

In the last eight seasons, Wisconsin has won 10 or more games six times. They've won three conference titles and played for two more. They've finished the season ranked in seven of those eight seasons and finished in the top 10 three times. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wisconsin_Badgers_football_seasons

You wouldn't take that for Nebraska over the next eight years?

Looking back i would take it over the past 8 years - no i wouldn't take playing Wisc football over the next 8 years.  We are Nebraska and i would like to see a higher level of football from NU.  Wisconsin and Iowa aren't that different and as a fan i don't strive to be similar to either of them.  We had TO and 105 great athletes for that style of football.  We were solid and for the exception of about 75 consecutive games we showed how hard it is to win with that style.  Some of those advantages are gone - we don't get one of only a handful of tv games every week / we are limited to 85 recruits and there are several programs near by that also get 85 spots / the cost of a walk on paying his own way is 3x what it was back then.  

As a program, historically, we have never been judged on beating teams like iowa and wisc.  Right now that sounds like fun, however when this dip is over - it won't be necessary to think like that.

I posted this on another thread ... but Barry Alvarez ... he gets it ...  "Remember Who You Are."

To me ... it just never gets old.  It works.  Remember, regardless of "system" ... it's the basics of football that Nebraska has moved away from.

The article stated what Wisky does,  "Run the ball, eat up clock, pass opportunistically, wear down the opponent, command field position and take control in the second half."

I'll add to that simple things like block well, tackle well, play smart, play till the whistle blows.  These players are developed and coached well ... so much so that even though we on average have a recruiting class that is 15-20 spots higher ... Wisky is the better program today.

38 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

That wasn't one of our worst teams that was one of our worst records - the two are not always the same. Plus I don't think that win that you are discussing gave us a conference championship - did it?  i thought that was what we were discussing.  Again as always, you are so quick to attack my post - just take a second and breathe before you type.

It show that us having the ability to "beat the best team in the east" isn't as far-fetched as you say it is.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

It show that us having the ability to "beat the best team in the east" isn't as far-fetched as you say it is.

That team was not what they seemed, as I showed time and again that year. They may have won the title game, but they're a lousy example for "best". Winning does not denote best, it means you simply scored one more point than the other team. You get into a logical fallacy if you try to equate the two.

That said, any two teams are not as far a part as generally viewed. It's more middle with a few outliers in each direction. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

That model won 5 NCs and got dismantled 2 years after playing for a 6th.

• Plus1 1

To get to the next level, we need to accomplish what Wisky has the past 8 years.  Look at us, look at them. Look at us, look at them.  Yea, I'd take their success.  In a minute.  We aren't even at that level of consistency and people think we should be winning the conference?  Really.  I'm a huge homer fan, but until we start winning our division and/or competing for it year in and year out I don't think the conference (or greater) is a reality.

Barry took the NU blueprint and turned it into pretty constant success.  Per the "rankings", NU consistently recruits better than the teams in the West and better than most in the East.  The difference  is in coaching, development and system.  What is our identity?  What system do we even run?  I truly haven't had an idea since Solich got fired.  Multiple, spread, WCO with spread elements, spread with inside zone/outside zone etc....Develop a definitive articulable system.  Recruit for it and develop players in it.  Oh, and play sound, fundamental football.  Play disciplined in all three phases....Excel at the basics.....Something that has been absent from NU for years....