Before the season

I am no Riley apologist, I wanted him fired Last year. 

However, no one picked Nebraska to win all 3 of the next games. Before you get out your pitch forks and torches you have to be pretty ok with Riley if he goes 1-2 over the next 3, right?  Not thrilled, but certainly not disappointed?  

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, dtbugeater said:

However, no one picked Nebraska to win all 3 of the next games. Before you get out your pitch forks and torches you have to be pretty ok with Riley if he goes 1-2 over the next 3, right?  Not thrilled, but certainly not disappointed?  

Riley was hired to win these 3 games in year 3. You want expectations of him, there they are. Oh, and something about Iowa.

• Plus1 2

10 minutes ago, brophog said:

Riley was hired to win these 3 games in year 3. You want expectations of him, there they are. Oh, and something about Iowa.

to be fair to Riley the guy who set those expectations is gone- but obviously when going 5 years without winning less than 9 games is what you walk into, even if Riley was asleep when Eichorst said those things he had to understand the expectations......that or he's as dim as he looks slummed over on the sidelines

5 hours ago, dtbugeater said:

Hard to be terribly disappointed with something you're already expecting.

If we go 2-1 I'll be thrilled.

If we go 1-2 against who you thought we were playing (PSU instead of Purdue) - meh. I'll be surprised but not thrilled - and I'll assume he still has a good chance of getting fired.

He needs to beat 2/4 of Iowa and those 3.

• Plus1 2

Sure, maybe no one expected us to win against both Wisky and OSU, but I would expect to split at least and not lose to NIU!  Now that Oregon looks semi useless as well, we lost 2 games that really we should have won.  Year 3, you go to Oregon and don't get blown out in the first half.  You completely bury Ark St, and NIU should have been a major whooping as well.  

If we were 5-0 right now, sure a split in the next 2 games would be manageable as long as we competed and had chances to win.

If we were 6-1 going into the Purdue game, it sounds better than 3-4 or 4-3.  NO brainer isn't it?  5-2 even sounds good, but that asking alot from this current staff           .:point

Expectations should be to be no worse than 6-1 going into the Purdue game.  No worse.  Sure Oregon was a 50/50 game this season, but they are not a top 25 team currently and may not be any better than they were last year.  By the end of the season we will consider that a bad loss.

5 hours ago, dtbugeater said:

That is why I don't want him as our coach. In year 3, we should be expected to win all three, or at least two automatic wins, and one toss up.

I thought we would be going into Wisky 4-1 at the worst.  Really thought we'd be 5-0.  I figured we would be as good as 10-2 or 8-4.  Worse as with the wheels falling off was 5-7.  With the way the O has played, I do not really see one easy game left on the schedule.  I'd be more surprise if we get to 7 or 8 wins than I would be if we went 3-9.....

This is year 3 with his guys.  Most programs have shown improvement.  I don't think we have.  Nor is it based purely on the W-L record.  Penalties, clock management, special teams, the OL.......Basic fundamental problems that shouldn't be happening to a team in year 3.  Let alone a coach with 40 years of experience...We still can't seem to get out of our way.  

Preseason, I thought we'd beat Wisky or Iowa.  Lose to OSU and possibly PSU (we seem to have their number).  Beat everyone else in the B1G......

• Plus1 1

Even though the OP thought Purdue was Penn State instead, even if Nebraska goes 1-2 we are stuck at 4-4 and still got embarrassed in a half at Oregon and lost to NIU. We are stuck at .500 with a .500 career winning coach. Now if we go 2-1 in these next three games and are at 5-3, things may be a little different as we most likely would be controlling our destiny for the B1G West.