Nebraska Home Night Streak

BIG ERN

Let’s turn back time to Aug. 9, 1981 (the day before I was born). This comes from a story in your grandparents’ World-Herald:

Lights atop Nebraska’s Memorial Stadium? It may sound as sacrilegious as lights at Chicago’s Wrigley Field, but it could happen, according to Nebraska Coach Tom Osborne.

Osborne said lighting Memorial Stadium could be one of the ramifications of the tentative agreement signed Saturday by the National Broadcasting Company and the College Football Association.

The $180 million, four-year package calls for 11 college football games to be televised on Saturday nights starting in 1982. 

With Nebraska a top television draw, Osborne said that if the NBC-CFA pact is formally sealed, it could create the situation of Nebraska playing a night game in Lincoln. 

“If the situation is right, I guess I could see it happening,” Osborne said of a night game. “It would certainly be up to Bob (Devaney), the chancellor and the Board of Regents. But I guess it’s safe to say it’s feasible.”

Nebraska didn’t play its first home night game for another five years — Sept. 6, 1986 — beating Florida State, 34-17. But 36 years after this crazy idea, it's hard to imagine Memorial Stadium without the lights.

OWH

2 hours ago, Redux said:

Ohio State 2011 was a night game?  I could have sworn that was a 2:30 game 

Joe Bauserman says Hi.

Probably the game that ultimately led to Luke Fickel being relieved of his head coaching duties, and bringing in Urban Meyer.  So, we got that going for us....which is nice.

Nebraska has been very lucky with injured QBs in night games.  Michigan (Denard Robinson left in the 1st qtr), Ohio St. (Tyrell Pryor? left in the 1st qtr, Joe B stepped into clinch defeat from the jaws of victory)  and I believe Michigan St's QB was dinged up also.

The Ohio St. game was at the time the largest comeback by Nebraska ever. (still may be).

tOSU will toy around with us for a quarter or two and then Tanner Lee will remember who he is and put 14+ on the board for tOSU in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.  Being behind, we will panic as always and stop running the ball and tOSU will pin their ears back and, well......you have seen this movie already this year with the likes of NIU and ASU.  Luck would bring us 1 win in the next 2 weeks, but reality is we will end up 0-2 BBQ

I do have to admit this is a nice streak, I guess.  I have a hard time looking at this streak seeing that we really didn't play a whole lot of top tier teams during this 20 game streak.  This is another participation ribbon streak.  Were grasping onto things that don't matter, in order for something to matter.  If its true that only 2 or 3 of those teams even finished the season ranked is true, this is another participation ribbon.

Thanks for coming, thanks for not being worth a hoot, thanks for coming!