Las Vegas mass shooting

Fru - hope you get good news.

BRB - you're not.  I expect he will stick close to the monitor for this one, but he can't help be repeat and emphasize some words (I'm betting "coward", "loser" etc)

I thought after the senate softball game there would be change, then a hundred things would make NRA zombies open their eyes.  What will it take?

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, GSG said:

Apparently this is the concert's fault. The concert was a gun-free zone, so that's why no one was shooting at a 32nd floor window across the street!

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Idk what to make of this though:

Kind of wondering if she's told this to police, not just the media. 

I heard it on NPR this morning (that a woman was warning the crowd).  When they drilled down to ask if it was the lady that they were looking for it was shared that they found her.  They weren't sure if it was his companion, the "warner" or if they were one and the same.

3 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

Fru - hope you get good news.

BRB - you're not.  I expect he will stick close to the monitor for this one, but he can't help be repeat and emphasize some words (I'm betting "coward", "loser" etc)

I thought after the senate softball game there would be change, then a hundred things would make NRA zombies open their eyes.  What will it take?

After Sandy Hook? Absolutely nothing. 

• Plus1 3

I'm sick to my stomach and angry. We all should be angry. Unacceptable doesn't even do this justice yet we've all been here before.

There's a reason the U.S. leads the world in gun-related deaths and gun violence - we have a gun culture problem and we have politicians who seem more content with arguing (or maintaining the status quo) than saving people's lives.

How many more thousands of people have to die in this country every year from gun violence before we cut the head off the snake? We let a bunch of kids get killed with seemingly no recourse, and thousands since then. What the actual ****.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I will say that there is a place for handguns or rifles for personal safety or hunting.  But, I have no idea why semi-automatic/automatic weapons are allowed to be owned by average citizens.  These are not weapons of sport.  These are weapons of the military.  There is a HUGE difference.

I agree with you that a ban on assault rifles should happen, but I think you have to remember that the argument of the 2nd amendment supporters really has nothing to do with hunting or self-defense from burglars.

Their argument is that the 2nd amendment was written so that people's homes would not be defenseless from a military-style attack.  Also so that the government would not be able to bully them.  Basically so that people would be able to form small-scale militias.

In all likelihood, that actually was the intent of the 2nd amendment.  The argument, IMHO, is whether or not the 2nd Amendment is appropriate in the 21st century, given the difference in deadliness between a muzzle-loading musket and an AR-15.  All the laws written in the 18th century are not necessarily perfectly applicable today.  That's why we have amendments, and judicial interpretation.

• Plus1 4
2 minutes ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

I agree with you that a ban on assault rifles should happen, but I think you have to remember that the argument of the 2nd amendment supporters really has nothing to do with hunting or self-defense from burglars.

Their argument is that the 2nd amendment was written so that people's homes would not be defenseless from a military-style attack.  Also so that the government would not be able to bully them.  Basically so that people would be able to form small-scale militias.

In all likelihood, that actually was the intent of the 2nd amendment.  The argument, IMHO, is whether or not the 2nd Amendment is appropriate in the 21st century, given the difference in deadliness between a muzzle-loading musket and an AR-15.  All the laws written in the 18th century are not necessarily perfectly applicable today.  That's why we have amendments, and judicial interpretation.

I agree with you in that things change, and that interpretation of laws/rights aren't necessarily applicable today.