Las Vegas mass shooting

22 hours ago, knapplc said:

Here are the first-world nations which are basically America's peers.  The citizenry of these nations are not armed.  Which of these are being brutalized by their government?

Belgium
Canada
Denmark
France
Germany
Greece
Iceland
Italy
Luxembourg
Netherlands
Norway
Portugal
Spain
Turkey
United Kingdom

Well...technically Turkey is currently sliding into a totalitarian regime territory...but since they're a NATO ally... :dunno

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, Landlord said:

Maybe this is morbid of me, but I honestly can't believe that stuff like this doesn't happen more often. Like, I've always thought how easy it would be for me to cause insane amounts of destruction and death if I really wanted to, and I guess thank God that there are a very, very, very small number of people who are twisted enough to actually decide to do that? It just doesn't seem like it'd be that hard.

Another thing to consider, to anyone who really plans on going down that path at some point they have to make a decision. Once they do the thing their life is over one way or another. Not alot of people in their right mind have it in them to give up their life to commit such a heinous act. 

9 hours ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Just the sheer number of rounds he sent towards the crowd meant he'd hit several targets. He didn't need to be that accurate. When you're firing a full-auto weapon from an elevated position sometimes it's all about tracking your path of rounds and walking them towards your target.

Dude had tripods and scopes, modified weapons and was shooting down into a massive crowd from an elevated position. Even the worst shooter could cause enourmous casualties. Not to mention AR style rifles are extremly easy to use. I can shoot a shot gun ok, can't  use a pistol for crap, but I picked up a busmaster and it was kind of scary how easy it was to hit the target and how quickly you could repeatedly do it.

14 minutes ago, Bigred_inSD said:

So many people including a local former media person here in Rapid having a real hard time wrapping their heads around a rich white guy doing this.

Has anyone here posted the tweets by @boingboing when some assumed it was Isis then found out who was truly responsible

Also kind of ironic that the hero/ unarmed/ wounded/ security guard that helped the SWAT team locate the room faster is a (presumably hispanic) guy named Jesus Campos.

And he doesn't have health insurance.

Saw this somewhere ... those that are very alined to "2nd amendment" and gun rights, and the NRA are the same people that are trying to take health insurance away.

So the man that's killed 59 and injured more than 500 has rights to own murderous weapons, but his victims don't have the right to be taken care of after he shot them.  

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

Saw this somewhere ... those that are very alined to "2nd amendment" and gun rights, and the NRA are the same people that are trying to take health insurance away.

So the man that's killed 59 and injured more than 500 has rights to own murderous weapons, but his victims don't have the right to be taken care of after he shot them.  

When one talks about gun rights, no one is saying the government should provide the guns for them.

When one talks about right to health care, the meaning is that the government should provide it.  Two totally different meanings of the word right.  Way to try to confuse the two to make a point.

12 minutes ago, Dbqgolfer said:

When one talks about gun rights, no one is saying the government should provide the guns for them.

When one talks about right to health care, the meaning is that the government should provide it.  Two totally different meanings of the word right.  Way to try to confuse the two to make a point.

Chill man - just relayed a comment I saw elsewhere.  Way to get snippy at a stranger for no reason.

10 minutes ago, Dbqgolfer said:

Imagine there was an industry that was the middle man between the gun producers and the gun buyers - let's call them the Gun Insurance Industry (GII). Now if the GII could pick and choose who to sell guns to and only the very rich could get around the GII and buy guns directly from the producers, would that be an infringement of your 2nd Amendment rights? 

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Imagine there was an industry that was the middle man between the gun producers and the gun buyers - let's call them the Gun Insurance Industry (GII). Now if the GII could pick and choose who to sell guns to and only the very rich could get around the GII and buy guns directly from the producers, would that be an infringement of your 2nd Amendment rights? 

If the gov't did not mandate that I use GII, it would not be an infringement.