Has Riley Accomplished "Momentum" for Nebraska?

Interesting thought I've been having this morning.

Even if Riley is let go, he(and his staff) have infiltrated top recruits across the country, mostly in California.

AGREED?

Does that change with a new coach? Riley hasn't made strides on the field, but if he is canned, is the next HC automatically into a better "recruiting job" than it was before Riley got here?

I think that whenever Riley is done, whoever the next HC is, he will have an easier time selling Nebraska to high schoolers than it was before.

Not sure if I would call it "momentum" but more so doing what is expected to be done in order to compete for top recruits. To the second half of your point I agree, since there wasn't much of a pipeline, if any, with Pelini i would think the next HC would have an easier job in competing with top recruits compared to Riley when he started.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Zeke said:

Not sure if I would call it "momentum" but more so doing what is expected to be done in order to compete for top recruits. To the second half of your point I agree, since there wasn't much of a pipeline, if any, with Pelini i would think the next HC would have an easier job in competing with top recruits compared to Riley when he started.

I agree.

I think the next coach needs to have NU as top 3 in the Big Ten about every other year.  

Just now, teachercd said:

I agree.

I think the next coach needs to have NU as top 3 in the Big Ten about every other year.  

Exactly, Riley is doing a good job in getting the recruits. Next step is performance and competing for the top of the division each year, that part he is struggling with.

Can we say that he has even established any "momentum" when it comes to recruiting? Sure, with the new staff the effort put into recruiting is much more visible with their commitment to social media, but from a results standpoint, it has been similar to Pelini. 

I will, however, concede that Riley and co has had a great deal of success in getting high profile recruits on campus and they've turned our Friday Night Lights camps into an excellent recruiting tool. 

20 minutes ago, The Maudfather said:

Can we say that he has even established any "momentum" when it comes to recruiting? Sure, with the new staff the effort put into recruiting is much more visible with their commitment to social media, but from a results standpoint, it has been similar to Pelini. 

I will, however, concede that Riley and co has had a great deal of success in getting high profile recruits on campus and they've turned our Friday Night Lights camps into an excellent recruiting tool. 

Right.

so to answer the question, if riley is let go, will the new head coach have it easier in recruiting now or after the previous regime?

I guess that statement I am trying to make is that if we get a new coach, I'd be shocked to see  Recruiting become difficult again.  Riley has shown that we can still get doors opened up.

2 minutes ago, MattyIce said:

Right.

so to answer the question, if riley is let go, will the new head coach have it easier in recruiting now or after the previous regime?

I guess that statement I am trying to make is that if we get a new coach, I'd be shocked to see  Recruiting become difficult again.  Riley has shown that we can still get doors opened up.

I think easier...but with much greater expectations.  

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, MattyIce said:

Right.

I think the effect would be minimal if noticeable at all. Like previously said it depends on if any of the current staff is kept and who it is. 

I think this possibly is going to be the biggest legacy Riley and his staff will leave no matter if it's this year or down the road.  

And....I think it means more in an area that hasn't been mentioned.  Whomever the new AD is, they should be able to go into a meeting with one of the top hot coaches in the country and say....hey.....you CAN recruit to Nebraska.

So....it should be easier to get a top head coach for which...then it will be easier to keep the recruiting doors open.

2 hours ago, The Maudfather said:

I dont recall Pelini ever getting as many highly rated guys interested, coming for visits and committing to Nebraska. Take this years commits and the last 2 recruiting cycles for Riley. What is his average rating per recruit based on 247 ranking? I bet it is quite a bit higher than Pelini. Pelini always filled out the classes in terms of numbers so the team recruiting rankings were probably similiar to Riley so far- but I bet the quality is better under riley.

• Plus1 1