ScottyIce

Has Riley Accomplished "Momentum" for Nebraska?

ScottyIce    1,648

Interesting thought I've been having this morning.

Even if Riley is let go, he(and his staff) have infiltrated top recruits across the country, mostly in California.

AGREED?

Does that change with a new coach? Riley hasn't made strides on the field, but if he is canned, is the next HC automatically into a better "recruiting job" than it was before Riley got here?

I think that whenever Riley is done, whoever the next HC is, he will have an easier time selling Nebraska to high schoolers than it was before.

fire mike    433

Also depends on who from the staff is retained. If you keep both the Williams and possibly Diaco, I'd say there shouldn't be much drop off with recruiting.

Zeke    23

Not sure if I would call it "momentum" but more so doing what is expected to be done in order to compete for top recruits. To the second half of your point I agree, since there wasn't much of a pipeline, if any, with Pelini i would think the next HC would have an easier job in competing with top recruits compared to Riley when he started.

teachercd    2,789
1 minute ago, Zeke said:

Not sure if I would call it "momentum" but more so doing what is expected to be done in order to compete for top recruits. To the second half of your point I agree, since there wasn't much of a pipeline, if any, with Pelini i would think the next HC would have an easier job in competing with top recruits compared to Riley when he started.

I agree.

I think the next coach needs to have NU as top 3 in the Big Ten about every other year.  

Zeke    23
Just now, teachercd said:

I agree.

I think the next coach needs to have NU as top 3 in the Big Ten about every other year.  

Exactly, Riley is doing a good job in getting the recruits. Next step is performance and competing for the top of the division each year, that part he is struggling with.

The Maudfather    961

Can we say that he has even established any "momentum" when it comes to recruiting? Sure, with the new staff the effort put into recruiting is much more visible with their commitment to social media, but from a results standpoint, it has been similar to Pelini. 

I will, however, concede that Riley and co has had a great deal of success in getting high profile recruits on campus and they've turned our Friday Night Lights camps into an excellent recruiting tool. 

ScottyIce    1,648
20 minutes ago, The Maudfather said:

Can we say that he has even established any "momentum" when it comes to recruiting? Sure, with the new staff the effort put into recruiting is much more visible with their commitment to social media, but from a results standpoint, it has been similar to Pelini. 

I will, however, concede that Riley and co has had a great deal of success in getting high profile recruits on campus and they've turned our Friday Night Lights camps into an excellent recruiting tool. 

Right.

so to answer the question, if riley is let go, will the new head coach have it easier in recruiting now or after the previous regime?

I guess that statement I am trying to make is that if we get a new coach, I'd be shocked to see  Recruiting become difficult again.  Riley has shown that we can still get doors opened up.

teachercd    2,789
2 minutes ago, MattyIce said:

Right.

so to answer the question, if riley is let go, will the new head coach have it easier in recruiting now or after the previous regime?

I guess that statement I am trying to make is that if we get a new coach, I'd be shocked to see  Recruiting become difficult again.  Riley has shown that we can still get doors opened up.

I think easier...but with much greater expectations.  

DrunkOffPunch    483
9 minutes ago, MattyIce said:

Right.

I think the effect would be minimal if noticeable at all. Like previously said it depends on if any of the current staff is kept and who it is. 

BigRedBuster    7,319

I think this possibly is going to be the biggest legacy Riley and his staff will leave no matter if it's this year or down the road.  

And....I think it means more in an area that hasn't been mentioned.  Whomever the new AD is, they should be able to go into a meeting with one of the top hot coaches in the country and say....hey.....you CAN recruit to Nebraska.

So....it should be easier to get a top head coach for which...then it will be easier to keep the recruiting doors open.

Huskers93-97    48
2 hours ago, The Maudfather said:

I dont recall Pelini ever getting as many highly rated guys interested, coming for visits and committing to Nebraska. Take this years commits and the last 2 recruiting cycles for Riley. What is his average rating per recruit based on 247 ranking? I bet it is quite a bit higher than Pelini. Pelini always filled out the classes in terms of numbers so the team recruiting rankings were probably similiar to Riley so far- but I bet the quality is better under riley.

teachercd    2,789
48 minutes ago, zoogs said:

It'll be different with a different coaching staff.

Of course.  But like all good coaches...they will steal what they think works.  

Huskers93-97    48

When a new staff comes in, whenever that is. I would like to see both williams and parrella get a good look at staying. Parrella has made some good strides developing the kids they have.

ScottyIce    1,648
59 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

When a new staff comes in, whenever that is. I would like to see both williams and parrella get a good look at staying. Parrella has made some good strides developing the kids they have.

Hah, Literally every fan is on-board with this. So, it's likely that when we do get a new coach in the future, they will do the complete opposite of what we ask.

teachercd    2,789
4 minutes ago, MattyIce said:

Hah, Literally every fan is on-board with this. So, it's likely that when we do get a new coach in the future, they will do the complete opposite of what we ask.

It is tough though, you want to coach with guys you know, usually.  

Huskers93-97    48

If frost stays on upward trajectory that he is now and say he ends up at nebraska as head coach. I would think Parrella would have legit shot because he is nebraska Alum. too. Not to mention Frost is running a 3-4 defense as well so Parrella would fit the mold for coaching that front.

PS. I will admit i was hesitant about Frost. But seeing what he is doing now- if he can finish the year this strong he could draw comparisons to Tom Herman and Urban Meyer.

Zeke    23
14 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

What are people seeing from Donte Williams to want him to stay? Just the recruiting hype?

That and he's done a pretty decent job with the corners despite being without the top two returning corners in Kalu, moving to safety, and Jones.

BigRedBuster    7,319
5 minutes ago, Zeke said:

That and he's done a pretty decent job with the corners despite being without the top two returning corners in Kalu, moving to safety, and Jones.

He has?

Zeke    23
Just now, BigRedBuster said:

He has?

You don't think Lee and Jackson have improved? Where as if Jones had been playing only one of them would have to be on the field instead of both.

teachercd    2,789
44 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

If frost stays on upward trajectory that he is now and say he ends up at nebraska as head coach. I would think Parrella would have legit shot because he is nebraska Alum. too. Not to mention Frost is running a 3-4 defense as well so Parrella would fit the mold for coaching that front.

PS. I will admit i was hesitant about Frost. But seeing what he is doing now- if he can finish the year this strong he could draw comparisons to Tom Herman and Urban Meyer.

Yeah...I would rather "buy" early...

ScottyIce    1,648
1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

What are people seeing from Donte Williams to want him to stay? Just the recruiting hype?

Yes, but I also think when he is given more than 8 months he could build a decent defensive backfield. Add in that he is without our top 2 CB's from last year and that we haven't allowed many points that past several game.  I really like him a lot and think he is going to get better and better with age.

RedDenver    1,391
1 hour ago, MattyIce said:

Yes, but I also think when he is given more than 8 months he could build a decent defensive backfield. Add in that he is without our top 2 CB's from last year and that we haven't allowed many points that past several game.  I really like him a lot and think he is going to get better and better with age.

1 hour ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

I don't think our defensive scheme is made to make the CBs look good. Plus your top CB being hurt all year and moving your 2nd CB to S doesn't help.

So we want to keep D. Williams because he hasn't been here long? Does the same apply to Booker?

2 hours ago, Zeke said:

You don't think Lee and Jackson have improved? Where as if Jones had been playing only one of them would have to be on the field instead of both.

Yeah, the CB's would look better with Jones for sure. But why the love for D. Williams? The corners look about the same to me as they did in the first game.

NM11046    1,819
6 hours ago, teachercd said:

Of course.  But like all good coaches...they will steal what they think works.  

You can try to "steal" ideas but not everyone has the skill set to pull off or improve upon.

Atbone95    1,150
4 hours ago, Zeke said:

LOL. Lee is okay. Lamar is the WOAT. I could go back to the film from this weekend and show you three specific times Lamar lined up FOURTEEN (14 - I counted) yards off a receiver, and let the man run past him without help over the top. 

Mavric    9,164
6 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I dont recall Pelini ever getting as many highly rated guys interested, coming for visits and committing to Nebraska. Take this years commits and the last 2 recruiting cycles for Riley. What is his average rating per recruit based on 247 ranking? I bet it is quite a bit higher than Pelini. Pelini always filled out the classes in terms of numbers so the team recruiting rankings were probably similiar to Riley so far- but I bet the quality is better under riley.

Riley has done a better job of getting higher-rated guys to campus.  But not such a great job getting them to actually commit.

His two full classes so far have been about average compared to Pelini's classes - better than some, worse than others.

Per the 247 Composite:

Class Average Recruits (# 4*+)
 02    .8316    18 (2)
 03    .8316    19 (2)
 04    .8237    20 (2)
 05*   .8523    32 (7)
 06*   .8493    22 (5)
 07*   .8587    26 (6)
 08    .8449    29 (3)
 09    .8580    19 (2)
 10*   .8642    20 (5)
 11    .8832    21 (9)
 12    .8773    17 (8)
 13    .8655    24 (7)
 14    .8601    25 (2)
 15    .8617    21 (4)
 16    .8707    21 (5)

17    .8758    20 (5)

* 2005 - Leon Jackson isn't on 247's list but was a 4* on Rivals
* 2006 - Major Culbert doesn't show a rating on 247 but was a high 3* on Rivals
* 2007 - Armando Murillo (JUCO) not included in 247's list
* 2010 - Stanley Jean-Baptiste and Chase Harper (JUCOs) not included in 247's rankings

Huskers93-97    48

I would be curious to see how the average would look if you took out guys who transferred and never made an impact. Seems so far Riley has kept all his kids once on campus. Seemed like our highest rated kids pelini recruited always left and didn't stay in program 

teachercd    2,789
1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

You can try to "steal" ideas but not everyone has the skill set to pull off or improve upon.

Heck no...if you could it would be super easy.  

jaws    264
59 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I would be curious to see how the average would look if you took out guys who transferred and never made an impact. Seems so far Riley has kept all his kids once on campus. Seemed like our highest rated kids pelini recruited always left and didn't stay in program 

I think it is still too early to tell if Riley can keep kids on campus. He lost a couple of his highest rated guys from the last class before the season even started. 

I don't think it would be hard to find someone who can recruit a top 30 class to a place like Nebraska.  Pelini and Riley haven't really set the bar very high.

C-4    28
12 minutes ago, jaws said:

I think it is still too early to tell if Riley can keep kids on campus. He lost a couple of his highest rated guys from the last class before the season even started. 

I don't think it would be hard to find someone who can recruit a top 30 class to a place like Nebraska.  Pelini and Riley haven't really set the bar very high.

Is Jordan Stevenson the highest rated Riley-NU player to date? Over Lindsey, Lamar Jackson, and (potentially) Bookie?

The Maudfather    961
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Riley has done a better job of getting higher-rated guys to campus.  But not such a great job getting them to actually commit.

His two full classes so far have been about average compared to Pelini's classes - better than some, worse than others.

Per the 247 Composite:

Class Average Recruits (# 4*+)
 02    .8316    18 (2)
 03    .8316    19 (2)
 04    .8237    20 (2)
 05*   .8523    32 (7)
 06*   .8493    22 (5)
 07*   .8587    26 (6)
 08    .8449    29 (3)
 09    .8580    19 (2)
 10*   .8642    20 (5)
 11    .8832    21 (9)
 12    .8773    17 (8)
 13    .8655    24 (7)
 14    .8601    25 (2)
 15    .8617    21 (4)
 16    .8707    21 (5)

17    .8758    20 (5)

* 2005 - Leon Jackson isn't on 247's list but was a 4* on Rivals
* 2006 - Major Culbert doesn't show a rating on 247 but was a high 3* on Rivals
* 2007 - Armando Murillo (JUCO) not included in 247's list
* 2010 - Stanley Jean-Baptiste and Chase Harper (JUCOs) not included in 247's rankings

This is what I was getting at.

Has Riley and co been superior in getting better talent in campus? Absolutely. Has that yielded more recruiting success than Pelini? Not exactly. 

GBRFAN    394

How can you say "not exactly"  MR has had no down recruiting years and each one gets better and better - 2018 included.  BP has a couple solid classes that didn't pan out and the rest were average at best.  NO MR hasn't had the over the top supper class yet - however he is clearly trending better then BP.

Mavric    9,164
6 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

How can you say "not exactly"  MR has had no down recruiting years and each one gets better and better - 2018 included.  BP has a couple solid classes that didn't pan out and the rest were average at best.  NO MR hasn't had the over the top supper class yet - however he is clearly trending better then BP.

This is a handy way to contrive your desired result from data that really doesn't show what you want it to.

Mavric    9,164
1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Once again, you seem to be sticking with the talking points that don't have much basis in reality.  

Riley's highest recruit from the 2015 class (Barnett) is headed down the no impact route.  The second-higest from that class (Stevenson) was gone within a few months.  His third-highest (Alston) is gone.  Grim is already gone out of the 2016 class.  Out of the 2017 class, two guys never even made it to campus (Blades and Watts) and KJJ got sent back home.  So I don't think Riley has been all that great at it either, he just hasn't been around as long for the narrative to develop.

GBRFAN    394
12 minutes ago, Mavric said:

This is a handy way to contrive your desired result from data that really doesn't show what you want it to.

The data shows that BP had 3 classes below MR's first (based on per player average) in which MR had a small portion of the cycle to get it done.  The classes keep getting higher and higher per player averages and as stated the 2018 is on pace to be even better.  BP didn't show any consistency and as stated his better two ended up not being so great.  Everything that i have said in my two post is direct data from the chart a few post up.  Everything you said in bold above smells and taste like cold coffee.

RedDenver    1,391
14 hours ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

I never said that.

You're right, I should have expanded on my reply. What I don't understand is the love for D. Williams and wanting to keep him on staff since he hasn't really done anything. Having to deal with injuries doesn't make him a good coach. I don't have anything against D. Williams, I'm just not seeing good reasons for the desire to keep him as opposed to Booker, for example.