Potential HC candidates not named Frost

I will have to do some resarch on this and will add more to my post then but I would give Venables a serious look.  His coaching pedigree is top notch, he is not a NU guy but he has played/coached against us and understands at least the concepts of our expectations and traditions.  Questions I would have about BV would be:

1. Can he recruit?  If so where? 

2. Can he manage/lead effectively?  Transition from DC to HC isn't always easy, see BP...

3. Can he hire a solid staff and delegate?

Venables is a loyal guy and down for the cause,  he stuck with OU for 12 years.  Stoops is no idiot and didnt keep him around because he liked the guy: he produced.  He has been a part of two National Championship teams since we have fallen in the gutter.  He deserves an honest look at least.  Here is an interesting stat:

"With Venables calling the shots, Clemson this season led the nation in tackles for loss for the fourth straight year despite losing seven players to last year's NFL Draft."

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-when-dabo-talks-nebraska-football-fans-would/article_c00b9f43-6db1-5db9-a8d1-1332bf0025e2.html

If he was still *retired* I would put Mike Leach at the top of the list and give him the keys to the kingdom.  Call me crazy but that guy wins wherever he goes and he is one crack DC away from winning it all.  Watching him beat UT (see Crabtree "the other catch") was a thing of beauty...ML with a pro level DC and our facilites/resources would be dangerous.

On 10/5/2017 at 10:22 PM, HuskerNation1 said:

That's a decent list for starters.  Some are hoping Bob Stoops would want a new challenge, and I have also heard talk about Navy's coach (Ken Niumatalolo) who learned under Mr. Triple option Paul Johnson and who has great Hawaiian connections.  If Kyle Whittingham or Chris Petersen could be swayed by money they would be good choices too.  

-1, living in the past and please tell me 10 players.....no wait 5 players from the state of Hawai'i that were difference makers on the national stage in the NCAA...I live here and let me tell you this is not Texas, Florida etc...no hot bed of football recruiting here

23 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

My dream is Del Conte convinces Gary Patterson to follow him to Lincoln. 

Three years ago I said if Eichorst didn't at least call Patterson and make him say 'No' he should be fired.

Unfortunately he now has TCU rolling and it's getting more and more unlikely that he'd even considering leaving with each GameDay appearance.

10 hours ago, bimmerman323i said:

Riley has mentioned a stat very similar to the one you mentioned - teams in the BIG that rush for 200 yards and win the turnover battle win something like 90% of the time. I don't remember exactly what it was, but he talked about it in one of his Monday press conferences. Point being, he understands what wins in this conference, and as you mentioned they just need to do it more consistently.

It's an example of inverse correlation

I just had a thought and I don’t think I’ve seen it anywhere yet. What if instead of firing Riley why don’t we tell him we want him as a “recruiting consultant “ and then bring in Frost for the head coach. Riley could help Frost and show him how he has helped get recruits interested in Nebraska again, the Frost could use that and get top shelf guys. 

I understand that Riley is a nice guy and is a good representation of the University, but why do people keep wanting him to stick around NU if he's fired from the head coaching job?  Consider the situations.

1.  Riley is an Oregon native, and has been at Nebraska for 3 years.  If he's fired, he will most likely want to go back to Oregon to spend his golden years.  He has kept his home in Corevallis and will want to get back there ASAP.

2.  If you are the new head coach, why would you want the former head coach to stick around and "offer advice"?  That would be so awkward, and it wouldn't be fair to the new head coach.

3.  It wouldn't be fair to the Riley either.  It would be telling him "Yeah, we don't want you to run the entire football program, but we would like you to help out the new head coach, even though you probably don't think you should have been fired, and you felt like you needed more time to turn things around at NU."

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, timmytbro said:

Honestly I don;t know what the hell to call Riley and Langs offense besides a calamity on the gridiron. we haven't had a 1,000 yard rusher since Riley has been here. Not only that but go look at the Ohio State game when every call was a pass from ryker fife on a 20 yard go route. riley and Lans do not look like they have any idea what the want. I hear them say run, but everytime the run looks like it might get shut down on a series they completly abandon it and resort to passing.

You do know that Scott Frost's team was more pass-happy than Mike Riley's team last year, right? 

10 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

You do know that Scott Frost's team was more pass-happy than Mike Riley's team last year, right? 

Looking at pure run-pass ratio's is a flawed way to look at how much a team passes.  Frost's teams were probably behind on the scoreboard more than NU last year, and that is going to cause them to pass more, in attempt to score quickly and come back from a deficit.  Also, we all know that Riley went very run-heavy with Armstrong at QB, in order to limit mistakes in the passing game.  In 2015 and this year, we saw Riley's teams have many games where they attempted 35-40+ passes in a game.

40 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I understand that Riley is a nice guy and is a good representation of the University, but why do people keep wanting him to stick around NU if he's fired from the head coaching job?  Consider the situations.

1.  Riley is an Oregon native, and has been at Nebraska for 3 years.  If he's fired, he will most likely want to go back to Oregon to spend his golden years.  He has kept his home in Corevallis and will want to get back there ASAP.

2.  If you are the new head coach, why would you want the former head coach to stick around and "offer advice"?  That would be so awkward, and it wouldn't be fair to the new head coach.

3.  It wouldn't be fair to the Riley either.  It would be telling him "Yeah, we don't want you to run the entire football program, but we would like you to help out the new head coach, even though you probably don't think you should have been fired, and you felt like you needed more time to turn things around at NU."

I understand your points 

1. Makes a ton of sense

2. I could see it being awkward but you’re a fool if you don’t think Riley has a wealth of knowledge, and honesty who gives a damn about fairness. everyone is clamoring for us to get back to being a year in and year out contender. So if we’re worried about being fair and not trying to find every avenue within the rules to put us in the best position possible then what in the hell are we doing?

3. Again I’m not worried about Riley’s feelings. He appears to be an upstanding individual but damn it if we don’t start doing everything in our ability to right the ship we are doomed to mediocrity. 

12 minutes ago, Husker from Kansas said:

I understand your points 

1. Makes a ton of sense

2. I could see it being awkward but you’re a fool if you don’t think Riley has a wealth of knowledge, and honesty who gives a damn about fairness. everyone is clamoring for us to get back to being a year in and year out contender. So if we’re worried about being fair and not trying to find every avenue within the rules to put us in the best position possible then what in the hell are we doing?

3. Again I’m not worried about Riley’s feelings. He appears to be an upstanding individual but damn it if we don’t start doing everything in our ability to right the ship we are doomed to mediocrity. 

I am not against firing Riley, but I don't see the positives of keeping him around in an administrative position.

28 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I often wonder what offense Frost would run here. He's got a bevy of experience in multiple offenses, and he's young enough he might not yet be so stubborn to stick to one.

I think that Frost would probably try to go with a power spread offense, which he currently runs at Central Florida.  I think he would be smart enough to adapt/tweak the offense to the roster and the competition that NU would face, so that means he could use more heavy sets for use in conference play.