Potential HC candidates not named Frost

On 10/6/2017 at 9:25 PM, Nebhawk said:

Who ever the next coach is, they will have to recruit players for a system thats not in place right now.  West Coast offenses just don't work in the power 5 division.  Pro Style, maybe.  Spread option attacks will win games, but haven't won a playoff series yet.  I think you have to be able to play smashmouth football with some passing options.  Pro Style is probably the best fit.  Alabam runs a pro style offense, with pro style players!

Mobile Qb's still win in college football.  I don't like LSU and those coordinators.  They have sucked the life out of LSU already.  They can't produce a game plan to beat Troy.  How would they last here?  Schools have identities.  Nebraska and LSU are power football teams.  They win by running the ball and playing defense.  Simple isn't it?

I feel like I got schizophrenia just by reading this. Also Clemson runs the spread and won the championship last year, the first year of the college football playoff had two spread teams in the championship, Auburn made it to the 2013 championship as a spread team, Notre Dame in 2012, Auburn-Oregon in 2011.......

• Plus1 1

38 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

I think we do have options available for next HC.

1.  Scott Frost

2.  Brent Venables

3.  Mike Leach

4. Ken N (Navy coach)

5.  Kevin Sumlin

6.  Les Miles (last resort, but better than what we have now)

Leach is a nut... better off if he stays out in the middle of Washington.

I agree with #1 & #2.  #4 seems iffy to me.. I don't think he has much upside and his offense would limit our chances of getting to a championship.  Better off taking Les Miles assistant Wilson than Les at this point.

Any of these are way, waaay better than Riley.  Riley's a great person but only an average coach.

1 hour ago, Rike Miley said:

Charlie Strong. Has USF at 5-0. Texas is a cess pool and their administration was worse than ours with Harvey Perlman and Steve Pederson at the helm. Id be willing to give him another shot. 

Lets just compare here shall we. Scott Frost took over a UCF team that lost every game two years ago and now they are undefeated. Strong took over Willie Taggarts USF team that was 10-2 last season. I trust the guy that has turned a garbage team into the number one ranking offense in the country. Frost or bust 

• Plus1 2
14 minutes ago, timmytbro said:

Lets just compare here shall we. Scott Frost took over a UCF team that lost every game two years ago and now they are undefeated. Strong took over Willie Taggarts USF team that was 10-2 last season. I trust the guy that has turned a garbage team into the number one ranking offense in the country. Frost or bust 

Yeah, I agree.  Even Bo reaped the rewards from Callahan with his recruits from 08-10. Then, when he had his own players, we finally saw what kind of coach Pelini really was. Bottom line, you have to recruit your butt off at Nebraska. When we start establishing a winning culture and win the conference, it'll become easier to recruit here, IMO.

• Plus1 1

13 minutes ago, timmytbro said:

1 hour ago, Rike Miley said:

Charlie Strong. Has USF at 5-0. Texas is a cess pool and their administration was worse than ours with Harvey Perlman and Steve Pederson at the helm. Id be willing to give him another shot. 

You're both right.

Charlie Strong was treated unfairly at Texass, and it's been documented how the inmates (boosters), including some prolific racists, run that asylum of a program, didn't want a black coach (somewhat similar to the Turner Gill situation at Kansas), and sought to undermine Strong from day one as a result. His end result at Texass was due to internal program dysfunction, and IMO doesn't reflect fairly on his ability as a coach (again, not unlike Turner Gill at Kansas). 

And yes, it's a lot easier to maintain or build upon a successful foundation (as Strong is doing at USF) than what Frost did with UCF (built success from ground up), and it does speak well of Frost and his abilities. But the fact that Strong has maintained success at USF (so far) also is in his favor. Or have we already forgotten what Riley did with a 9-4 team during his first year?