Potential HC candidates not named Frost

23 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

Curious question, and don't want to start anything irrational-  Why didn't we hire Turner, when we hired Bo?  Before we go thinking that we are not in redneck villa ourselves.  Just saying, I don't think we that far apart from Texas on this particular trend.  Sure, tell me its because Turner was a proven commodity, and see Bo's resume.  I think its funny when we can point fingers elsewhere, but we are no better in the race issue and hiring HC on any of our teams.  Just go look at our history.  Texas at least has had two coaches now of the non-white variety.  Football and now Basketball.

Trust me, race had absolutely zero to do with it.  If you really want to know why TO didn't hire Gill over Bo, all you have to do is go ask any former player who was on the team back when TO was coach and Gill was on the staff. 

23 hours ago, TGHusker said:

I've always liked Richt.  He would follow in that Tom, Riley - nice guy mode.  He would be a big upgrade compared to MR when it comes to success as a HC.

In Richt's final seven years at Georgia, his team failed to be ranked at season's end roughly half the time.  Keep in mind, this was with recruiting classes that were for the most part top 10 ranked by scout.  I'm just not sure how a coach known for doing less with more would be a big upgrade.  If we are to believe we are as talented as anyone in the West and still losing, how can we assume Richt would be an upgrade?  If Georgia can get by Auburn, it's likely they make the SEC Championship game undefeated with a second year first time head coach. 

• Plus1 2

On 10/9/2017 at 1:56 PM, Red Five said:

Gary Andersen

On 10/9/2017 at 1:57 PM, MattyIce said:

I think he would be a possible option, tbh.

On 10/9/2017 at 1:58 PM, ColoradoHusk said:

He's available!!

18 hours ago, grandpasknee said:

Looks like Gary Andersen is available!!!!!  LOL

tenor.gif

2 hours ago, junior4949 said:

Trust me, race had absolutely zero to do with it.  If you really want to know why TO didn't hire Gill over Bo, all you have to do is go ask any former player who was on the team back when TO was coach and Gill was on the staff. 

In Richt's final seven years at Georgia, his team failed to be ranked at season's end roughly half the time.  Keep in mind, this was with recruiting classes that were for the most part top 10 ranked by scout.  I'm just not sure how a coach known for doing less with more would be a big upgrade.  If we are to believe we are as talented as anyone in the West and still losing, how can we assume Richt would be an upgrade?  If Georgia can get by Auburn, it's likely they make the SEC Championship game undefeated with a second year first time head coach. 

Good points  - and yes - there are others I'd prefer before him. 

9 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

He did a good job or sending more of that talent packing. You know the QB who led ISU to the upset over Oklahoma? Riley signed him to the Beavers but the coaching change saw him leave. Happened with a few of their other best players as well. 

Yes, when you change offensive schemes, QBs tend to look elsewhere.  See Tanner Lee.

Second, that would also be a contributing factor to the "lack of depth" at Nebraska that some people like to cite.

Just now, Mavric said:

Yes, when you change offensive schemes, QBs tend to look elsewhere.  See Tanner Lee.

Second, that would also be a contributing factor to the "lack of depth" at Nebraska that some people like to cite.

That's fine but people want to say Riley left the cupboard bare for Anderson but that just isn't true. If you read the local news, Anderson ran off some of Rileys best players, guys that actually went to go on and contribute at other power 5 programs. 

3 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

That's fine but people want to say Riley left the cupboard bare for Anderson but that just isn't true. If you read the local news, Anderson ran off some of Rileys best players, guys that actually went to go on and contribute at other power 5 programs. 

That would be an argument that would be put forward by someone who's looking to find any other excuse to avoid blaming Riley.  Just like the "lack of talent" arguments put forward here.  I'd be curious to see the actual list rather than speaking in generalities.

If the cupboard wasn't left fairly bare at Oregon State, it would be pretty hard to explain their steady decline during his last years there.

Unless the blame was to be laid somewhere other than the talent available.

29 minutes ago, Mavric said:

That would be an argument that would be put forward by someone who's looking to find any other excuse to avoid blaming Riley.  Just like the "lack of talent" arguments put forward here.  I'd be curious to see the actual list rather than speaking in generalities.

If the cupboard wasn't left fairly bare at Oregon State, it would be pretty hard to explain their steady decline during his last years there.

Unless the blame was to be laid somewhere other than the talent available.

No you are just making excuses for Andersen to make Riley look bad. I'll trust the local paper over ESPN. Riley tanked 2 programs at the same time? BS. If Riley gets full credit for his results here Andersen gets full credit for his results at OSU. 

In the articles I've read of his firing I've seen a few mentions of him running off Rileys best players. I've also heard that from others more involved in the OSU program than I. This from one of the Andersen articles: 

It also didn't help outside perceptions of the program to see former OSU players leave Corvallis and find success at other programs. Examples include receiver Richard Mullaney (Alabama), linebacker Rommel Mageo (Mississippi), quarterback Luke Del Rio (Florida) and quarterback Marcus McMaryion (Fresno State).

Granted 2 of those examples are QBs, but they aren't the only ones. 

We've always had enough talent, I think Riley just didn't quite know how to coach the team he inherited. That's on him. Now I think we are struggling with inexperience, still not much of an excuse. I think Riley has added some team speed with the young guys who I think are talented but overall no more or less talented than any of Bo's better classes.

I'm not trying to avoid blaming Riley. He deserves the blame he deserves and I'm sure we will see a new coach next season.

That being said I really don't think Riley is as bad of a head coach as people here are making him out to be. I think he has done some positive things for our program and aside from on field results has been a good HC. Obviously the W-L record will be all that matters in the end, but I don't think Rileys time here is so black and white. 

I'm not making any excuses for Anderson.  His results there are bad.  And I'm not trying to make Riley look bad.  He's doing a stellar job of that all on his own.

But I don't think it's that much of a stretch to see that the common demoninator in the two situations is Riley.  Oregon State had been generally trending down for eight years.  They had been dropping like a rock the last two.  People liked to talk about a "transition year".  But when you look at the schools who had new coaches in 2015, out of the eight or so schools on the list the two with the worst declines between 2014 and 2015 were Oregon State and Nebraska.  I don't have to tell you what they have in common. 

We've seen that the reports of Riley's crew being great recruiters has been exaggerated.  Assuming he brought the best of his OSU assistants here, we see how good they proved to be.  It's really not a stretch at all to look at all the evidence and come to the conclusion that Oregon State was a complete dumpster fire when Riley left.

The local papers in Oregon were also talking about how Banker and even Riley should have been fired before they knew he was leaving.  So it might depend on which paper you read or if the writer liked Riley or not.

• Plus1 2
On 10/10/2017 at 6:21 AM, teachercd said:

He had pretty much the same record every year.  I don't think it mattered if Bo had great players or average players...he was going to lose 4 games.

Yeah if he could have flipped some of those games or even won a conference championship, he probably would still be here. Ironic many anti Pelini (not saying you) are now OK with 6-6 or 7-5. Even though seeing Bo let go, he deserved it. His replacement just didn't deserve us, IMO.

On October 9, 2017 at 2:49 PM, TGHusker said:

I've always liked Richt.  He would follow in that Tom, Riley - nice guy mode.  He would be a big upgrade compared to MR when it comes to success as a HC.

It's a nice thought, but Miami is relevant again and the recruiting grounds and former player support there is second to none.  I hate "the U" but Coach Richt has them playing like their former selves with refreshing respect and class.  He quickly stopped his team from disrespecting the FSU logo after their victory last weekend.