Nebraska Depth Chart

All of you Mike Riley haters do you realize that in our 2 deep depth chart we have a total of 6 seniors in it. So the façt 2 of them have played a combine 1.5 games because of injuries . This should tell you that it takes time to build up talent and depth to play Big 10 football to compete. Pelini didn't leave much talent in the underclassmen when he got fired. Does NIU game suck yes but besides that losing to Oregon at Oregon is not a bad loss we have won the other games we were suppose too.  I think the rest of the season will dictate where the program is heading. So stop trying to fire someone and see what's going to happen last year at this time Penn St. Fans wanted Franklin fired it takes longer than 3 years to turn around a program. We start a new qb  both receivers a new TE and both running backs plus new DC it's not going to be perfect.

• Plus1 2

5 minutes ago, Otterpop said:

All of you Mike Riley haters do you realize that in our 2 deep depth chart we have a total of 6 seniors in it. So the façt 2 of them have played a combine 1.5 games because of injuries . This should tell you that it takes time to build up talent and depth to play Big 10 football to compete. Pelini didn't leave much talent in the underclassmen when he got fired. Does NIU game suck yes but besides that losing to Oregon at Oregon is not a bad loss we have won the other games we were suppose too.  I think the rest of the season will dictate where the program is heading. So stop trying to fire someone and see what's going to happen last year at this time Penn St. Fans wanted Franklin fired it takes longer than 3 years to turn around a program. We start a new qb  both receivers a new TE and both running backs plus new DC it's not going to be perfect.

Riley's issue is not that he can't get good kids here. His problem is that his demeanor permeates failure. Look at his body language on the sideline. It is as if he has already lost the game.  These players pick up on that crap. The bone headed play calling by Danny Langsdwarf is pitiful, the Oline development is pitiful. You are feeling optimistic because we beat Illinois and Rutgers, well my intramural team could beat those two cuckolds. If we don't win more than six games this year, homeboy is gone. 

• Plus1 3

Not feeling optimistic about those 2 wins at all. What I am is a realist that knows in a tough conference it takes more than 2 years to be a top team again.Do I agree with all the play calling no I'm not doom and gloom like some of you guys that probably never played or coached past youth sports but have all the answers. This week is a big game for the staff to show its headed in right direction or not. I just think you experts have no clue what it takes to turn this around name the big win under Pelini in his tenure.

2 minutes ago, Otterpop said:

Not feeling optimistic about those 2 wins at all. What I am is a realist that knows in a tough conference it takes more than 2 years to be a top team again.Do I agree with all the play calling no I'm not doom and gloom like some of you guys that probably never played or coached past youth sports but have all the answers. This week is a big game for the staff to show its headed in right direction or not. I just think you experts have no clue what it takes to turn this around name the big win under Pelini in his tenure.

You are right, we experts don't have a clue, but neither does mike Riley and Co.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Otterpop said:

You seem obsessed with Pelini.

Let me ask you a simple question . . . would it be better for the coach of the team you root for to take over a losing team and take them to a 9-4 season his first year, or would it be better if he took over a 9-4 team and took them to a losing season his first year?

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Isle of View said:

You seem obsessed with Pelini.

Let me ask you a simple question . . . would it be better for the coach of the team you root for to take over a losing team and take them to a 9-4 season his first year, or would it be better if he took over a 9-4 team and took them to a losing season his first year?

don't let this guy conflate the issue, Pelini is ancient history and so is Riley.  Our problem is not what happened four years ago, it is what is happening now. Think abut this, Tommy Armstrong was more viable than T Lee. after watching T Lee struggle for so long this season and not seeing the coaches take him out to calm him down, I was done with Riley. POB will transfer mark my words.

24 minutes ago, Otterpop said:

This should tell you that it takes time to build up talent and depth to play Big 10 football to compete.

Qualifier: I don't want Riley fired. I want to beat Wisconsin & Iowa and as many other of the remaining games on our schedules and compete well in Indy for a conference title. I want Diaco to turn out to be a great hire and see the fruit of that change bear out at season's end.

But what I saw against Northern Illinois was a complete incompetence by a staff to beat a team that we are undeniably better than. 

This is a message board on the internet; talking about firing coaches is just what happens on here. Pretty pointless to try to put that toothpaste back in the tube. But with that said, I agree - There are seven games left to play.

We need to beat Wisconsin and Iowa in the same season. We need to get to Indy. If doesn't do that and suffers multiple blowouts, I think it's pretty rational to question whether he, at 64 years of age, is capable of even being competitive enough to win his own division at any point. 

We'll see what happens.

Riley's issue is not that he can't get good kids here. His problem is that his demeanor permeates failure. Look at his body language on the sideline. It is as if he has already lost the game.  These players pick up on that crap. 

Weak and arbitrary.

Blaming the players.  tsk tsk 

It's the makeup of the roster. Ideally there's more depth and more seniority, but there's not.

• Plus1 2
24 minutes ago, Otterpop said:

There it is! Does it matter what sport we played? Or just youth sports in general?

Funny thing in life, sometimes you don't necessarily have to have first hand experience to know when things look bleak. For example, I don't have to be a meteorologist to see a funnel cloud and think, oh f#*k this can't be good.

• Plus1 3

Agreed, @zoogs. To say that Riley's attitude "permeates failure" is irrational at best and probably more accurately, downright spiteful. 

I don't think it was an attitude of failure that lost the game against Northern Illinois, but I was terribly disappointed with the staff's inability to adjust an overcome a 14 point defecit to a non-Power 5 school.

Regardless, there are seven games left to play. Maybe our O-line meshes and plays tougher. Maybe Lee finds a rhythm. Maybe our younger wideouts do some really special things in our big games left on the schedule. Maybe Diaco puts together a 3-4 scheme that dominates against the run.

We'll see what happens. I do expect for Riley to get his team ready against Wisconsin tomorrow night; it's indisputably the biggest game of the season.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, huskerfan120889 said:

That loss to Oregon was bad. We got boat raced in the first half and Oregon took the foot off the pedal during the second half. It was similar to the '14 MSU game where the final score was a lot closer to the actual game played between the teams. 

So, as a competitor taking the foot of the pedal, when do you choose to apply more pressure? When the opponent gets within 3 scores? 2 scores? A single score? And does this reduced foot pressure also apply to your defense? What about if your opponent comes out at half time with adjustments? Do you calibrate the amount of easing off proportional to the improvement in second half performance by the opponent?

• Plus1 3