'97 Huskers Say 'Refuse to Lose' Attitude is Now Missing

Mavric

On 10/12/2017 at 2:58 AM, Big Red Commie said:

Uh, OK, I'm going to date Scarlet Johanssen and I refuse her saying "no".

What's it matter if you " refuse to lose" and then go lose?

You have to have the GOODS-i.e., SKILL.  You have to WORK harder than the next guy.  Attitude is pretty much irrelevant, this isn't a Tony Robbins seminar.

There it is . . . the stupidest thing I'll read all day and it's only 9:15am.

• Plus1 2

Attitude is everything imo!  If you don't have the mindset that you will give 100% at all-times, that you will do things as fundamentally sound as possible or the mindset that you will never get stopped/beat on any given play... then you are going to lose more times than not when you face someone that DOES have the attitude.  Those 90's Husker's were not only extremely well coached but the team as a whole had a tremendous winners/workers attitude.  

It goes back to what Urban Meyer rants and ravs about constantly about wanting "Fierce Competitors".  Tell me, do we have a team full of fierce competitors across the roster/coaching staff?

Edited by BartonHusker

Agree. I'm not sure if attitude is everything but it is absolutely alot. Definitely not irrelevant.IMO. Attitude can take you a long way.   My son plays fb and wrestles and if you walk out without an attitude or ( the mindset as in previous post )you are going to struggle to win.  I think this holds true in almost anything. 

On 10/6/2017 at 11:00 PM, B.B. Hemingway said:

We have more natural talent on our roster then Wisky, Iowa or even the recent really good Michigan St teams, and they seem to win just fine. Care to explain that? Attitude matters. This applies to life in general.

They have a system and identity, built over years, i.e., they are smash mouth physical and they RUN.  They dont waste time with useless slogans.

4 hours ago, El Diaco said:

Attitude and meaningless slogans are not the same thing. I wonder how they are going to learn to tackle, block, catch and throw if they don’t have the right attitude? Attitude is not irrelevant, it’s the basis for everything they need to do and it will determine how hard they work to achieve results. I could give two sh#ts about some refuse to lose slogan but give me a team full of players that actually have the attitude that they aren’t going to lose and will give every fiber of their being to work for it.

Are we on the same page yet?

When you are actually in the heat of battle, doing whatever it is you are doing, you arent standing around "checking in" on your attitude--its too late then anyway.  Skill is developed with hard work over time, when you have it you know it, you dont need to manufacture an attitude.  Its a PHYSICAL world.

1 hour ago, timmytbro said:

Mike Riley's 2017 Huskers refuse to win attitude is not missing.

"Hip hip, hoorah!"

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Big Red Commie said:

When you are actually in the heat of battle, doing whatever it is you are doing, you arent standing around "checking in" on your attitude--its too late then anyway.

The arguments you're making are pretty much saying that it's correct to ignore the vast library of examples showing objectively that sports psychology is a thing. I don't think you really believe that.

There are so many examples and analogies to pick from it's hard to know where to start. Possibly anything written by John Wooden might be good, though.

9 minutes ago, Undone said:

The arguments you're making are pretty much saying that it's correct to ignore the vast library of examples showing objectively that sports psychology is a thing. I don't think you really believe that.

There are so many examples and analogies to pick from it's hard to know where to start. Possibly anything written by John Wooden might be good, though.

So, you are saying that Lew Alcinder "attituted" his way to greatness?

I was listening to a former NFL player on the radio say emphatically that 80-90% of it is "God given".  I.e., born with it.

But, in my experience, you can find as many skilled/talented people in any field that have a bad attitude, or no attitude, as there are with a "good attitude".  In sports, its all about muscle memory anyway...is what Im saying.  You gotta work at that.  If you need a "good atttitude" to get your ass out of bed to work at it, then, ok, so be it.  Most of the great ones dont need that, they are compulsively driven.

Edited by Big Red Commie

3 hours ago, Big Red Commie said:

They have a system and identity, built over years, i.e., they are smash mouth physical and they RUN.  They dont waste time with useless slogans.

Right, and I agree with all that, but in the post I quoted you insinuated that our athleticism was part of the issue, and it's not. Which means it's coaching and development, as you alluded too

Edited by B.B. Hemingway
10 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Right, and I agree with all that, but in the post I quoted you insinuated that our athleticism was part of the issue, and it's not. Which means it's coaching and development, as you eluded too

I think I said that we dont have the LEVEL of athletes "not to lose", and we dont.  Bama, et al, do.  The reason the 90s Huskers developed that attitude was because they rarely ever got beat, they had the athletes to walk the talk.  The slogan came after muchos winning over years.

Edited by Big Red Commie
17 minutes ago, Big Red Commie said:

When you are actually in the heat of battle, doing whatever it is you are doing, you arent standing around "checking in" on your attitude--its too late then anyway.  Skill is developed with hard work over time, when you have it you know it, you dont need to manufacture an attitude.  Its a PHYSICAL world.

Okay, my initial impression was correct. You don't get it. At. All. 

Apparently you think all it takes is hard work and skill but you fail to acknowledge that it takes the right attitude to put in the necessary hard work. BTW, I don't believe Riley's team has the attitude required to excel on the field. I don't care who has said it's a refuse to lose attitude, it wasn't me. They may have a slogan to that effect but it doesn't appear they are practicing or playing with it. I don't think MR inspires the level of commitment and attitude required to play at that higher level. And make no mistake, if the players don't have the proper attitude they will achieve nothing. I don't give a flying rip about some saying of refuse the lose. They have to play that way and it doesn't take the most skilled player in the world to play like he won't be beat.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, El Diaco said:

Okay, my initial impression was correct. You don't get it. At. All. 

Apparently you think all it takes is hard work and skill but you fail to acknowledge that it takes the right attitude to put in the necessary hard work. BTW, I don't believe Riley's team has the attitude required to excel on the field. I don't care who has said it's a refuse to lose attitude, it wasn't me. They may have a slogan to that effect but it doesn't appear they are practicing or playing with it. I don't think MR inspires the level of commitment and attitude required to play at that higher level. And make no mistake, if the players don't have the proper attitude they will achieve nothing. I don't give a flying rip about some saying of refuse the lose. They have to play that way and it doesn't take the most skilled player in the world to play like he won't be beat.

You can have a s#!t attitude and still put in the work, and the converse is true--and alot of it is, as I alluded above, "God given".  It's a physical world, yo....football is a physical game.

Edited by Big Red Commie