***Official Wisconsin Game Discussion Thread***

Mavric

3 hours ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

The blueprint for success is what Wisconsin modeled their program after...............the old us. Powerful lines, power football, we're gonna run it down your throat and there is NOTHING you can do about it. That's not Mike Riley, that's not Langsdork, and to give up that much on the ground defensively...........it's ain't Diaco. 

Well there's one coach I can think of that knows how to do that, has a proven record of winning in the Big Ten, has cost Wisconsin many big games, and will more than likely be on the market this offseason (almost definitely by the next offseason):

Bert Bielema

Hiring him would kick this "rivalry" of ours up a few notches. I don't hate you guys. I respect the way you used to play ball and the influence it's had on teams like us, Michigan State, Stanford, etc...and I think you're generally cool people, but if you got Bert I'd root for you to lose every single game. 

Someone else said it on here and I definitely agree with them...the model you're talking about doesn't win National Championships, it can get you 10-11 wins in a good year, a conference championship here and there, but it isn't the greatest. Someone else said something like "can you imagine what Nebraska would look like if they had Wisconsin's O-Line and a mobile QB" and I think that's the key and why we've never gotten over the hump. The closest we had was Wilson in 2011 and while it was magical it just never panned out. I was alive for your NC runs in the 90s but not paying attention, didn't you also win those with speed and somewhat mobile QBs? So kind of a break or variation from that model?

Anyhow...This Wisconsin team is good but I am worried about Michigan and don't see us winning the CCG unless we show some improvements on defense. 

3 hours ago, BRV920 said:

Curious what system you think Alabama is running? Running the ball 66% of the time this year and have always been a power run team. 

A mixture of systems with Hurts as a very serious rushing threat which is what most of the National Championship teams in the last 10ish years have won using...Florida with Tebow, Auburn with Newton, FSU with Winston, Clemson with Watson. 

But I get what you're saying, Alabama these last two years has departed from their typical system which, at first glance might appear similar to the modern-day-Wisconsin/Old-Nebraska model, but I would argue that it isn't. They aren't a walk-on, development oriented program. Wisconsin will never in a million years get the type of recruits Alabama gets simply because of geography and demographics. I think Nebraska is in the same boat despite what some on here are saying. The top talent in the country right now is in the southeast and barring some weird population shift it's going to stay there for a while....those kids are going to ACC/SEC schools first, then a couple big programs outside of those like Michigan/OSU/PSU. These kids were born in 2000, they don't remember the 90s, they also are going to want to live almost anywhere other than the central high plains.

I realized a while ago watching Dayne/Hill/White/Ball/insert-UW-RB-here highlights that those are really Offensive Line highlight reels. You could take any 3* RB and semi-intelligent QB, put them behind a typical UW OL and poop out 8 wins. I don't get that feeling with Alabama, maybe because the talent is more evenly distributed across their team.

8 minutes ago, Excel said:

A mixture of systems with Hurts as a very serious rushing threat which is what most of the National Championship teams in the last 10ish years have won using...Florida with Tebow, Auburn with Newton, FSU with Winston, Clemson with Watson. 

But I get what you're saying, Alabama these last two years has departed from their typical system which on the face of it might appear similar to the modern-day-Wisconsin/Old-Nebraska model but I would argue that it isn't. They aren't a walk-on, development oriented program. Wisconsin will never in a million years get the type of recruits Alabama gets simply because of geography and demographics and Nebraska is in the same boat.

I realized a while ago watching Dayne/Hill/White/Ball/insert-UW-RB-here highlights that those are really Offensive Line highlight reels. You could take any 3* RB and semi-intelligent QB, put them behind a typical UW OL and poop out 8 wins. I don't get that feeling with Alabama, maybe because the talent is more evenly distributed across their team.

I'm a nit picker....Winston wasn't a running threat he was (and is) a drop back pocket passer with great athleticism. Wouldn't call him a run threat though. 

4 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I'm a nit picker....Winston wasn't a running threat he was (and is) a drop back pocket passer with great athleticism. Wouldn't call him a run threat though. 

Just checked the stats and you're correct, my memory is off. I'm not sure what the point of nit-picking is. You want to argue Alabama is following Nebraska's model? Ok but that's not feasible, nobody in the Big Ten is ever gong to recruit the way a big SEC school in the deep south will recruit. Nebraska is not one coach away from being Clemson, Bama, or Florida State...it's about 900 miles away. It's a pointless route to go down. I want Nebraska to do well in the future because it's good for the conference and our division. To do that I think you need to develop a model similar to what Wisconsin, Iowa, and Michigan State use.

2 minutes ago, Excel said:

Just checked the stats and you're correct, my memory is off. I'm not sure what the point of nit-picking is. You want to argue Alabama is following Nebraska's model? Ok but that's not feasible, nobody in the Big Ten is ever gong to recruit the way a big SEC school in the deep south will recruit. Nebraska is not one coach away from being Clemson, Bama, or Florida State...it's about 900 miles away. It's a pointless route to go down. I want Nebraska to do well in the future because it's good for the conference and our division. To do that I think you need to develop a model similar to what Wisconsin, Iowa, and Michigan State use.

I wasn't trying to argue your point, I just nit picked for no reason really. But truthfully I think Riley is pushing us in that direction (Big 10 model) more than people realize but no one is patient enough for him to get it working here. Regardless of what we do its all about the O line and the defensive front 7 going forward. We need to be the best run team and the best at stopping the run. How we do that I don't care but that is my model.