What did we learn? (Game 6 - Wisconsin)

11 minutes ago, HuskerMav11 said:

It would be extremely silly to think that. But I devote a lot of energy to Husker football every year, and diverting it elsewhere would probably be good for me. Has nothing to do with the impact it has on the team(although if enough people do the same, you betcha the university going to start feeling it in the pocketbooks)...

Fair enough. You're of course free to make your own decisions about the things you care about and pay attention to. It's my opinion that the amount of wins and losses is a stupid thing to base that decision off of.

19 minutes ago, HuskerMav11 said:

Support your team no matter what hasn't been working for the last 20 years, so I figure it's time to change things up.

So fairweather?  You're pretty much the definition.  YSU is looking for another fan!

Wisconsin is Wisconsin because of Barry Alvarez keeping the winning formula going there- through three different HCs and many more different OCs and DCs.  I don't know that it's possible for Nebraska to duplicate that.  You don't do it by changing coaches; you do it by changing cultures within the entire athletic department.  We don't have the patience for that, and the insiders can't even see they are part of the problem.

It sucks to be on the losing end of a 300+ yards rushing beatdown.  We didn't look too bad until the second half, when Wisconsin's O-line just beat the hell out of our defense.  We looked gassed.  It was pathetic.  Or CBs are bad.

Barring a miracle, Riley probably won't be the coach here in 2018.  If he had hired new assistants in 2015 we might be seeing the progress we wanted by now.  But I'd still take Riley over that assclown Pelini every day of the week.  At least Taylor didn't set the single game NCAA rushing record against us.

1 minute ago, Landlord said:

Fair enough. You're of course free to make your own decisions about the things you care about and pay attention to. It's my opinion that the amount of wins and losses is a stupid thing to base that decision off of.

Have you been watching Husker football for the last 20 years? Has nothing to do with wins and losses and everything to do with our games not being enjoyable to watch. As far as I remember Nebraska's identity was Power football with a mobile, dual-threat QB. We haven't held that identity since Eric Crouch.

So I'm basing my decision on the fact that, for as long as I can remember now, we've seemed to run an offensive scheme that involves chucking the ball downfield on 1st and 10 nearly every drive.

I'm not asking for you to miss me. I'm just venting. 

I think we're all in control of how much enjoyment we get out of Nebraska football, regardless of how good they are or what kind of schemes we run.

Personally, I still absolutely love watching the Huskers, and still have a blast. Even tonight I had a really enjoyable time watching the game and chatting with a bunch of HB members, getting caught up in the emotions and excitement of the whole thing. Idk, maybe it's just me, but I still have a lot of fun.

• Plus1 4

I think we're all in control of how much enjoyment we get out of Nebraska football, regardless of how good they are or what kind of schemes we run.

Personally, I still absolutely love watching the Huskers, and still have a blast. Even tonight I had a really enjoyable time watching the game and chatting with a bunch of HB members, getting caught up in the emotions and excitement of the whole thing. Idk, maybe it's just me, but I still have a lot of fun.

Are you a masochist then?

• Plus1 2

Thanks for the safe space

• Plus1 1

The games are still fun to watch, but at some point don't you want NU to Win?

• Plus1 5

I'll probably be echoing some things already posted..

• We just saw the end for Riley. He had to have this one to have a reasonable chance at at least 8 wins and a division title. 7 wins is probably not the absolute ceiling, IMO.
  • I agree with the "refuse to lose" article about the 97 team. This entire program hasn't possessed that attitude since the last of Solich. 
  • Unless you believe recruiting services are nothing but a bunch of charlatans, we aren't losing because of talent (at least to teams not named Ohio State). We lose because of poor schemes and coaching. This is going on 3 coaches now.  This game was easily there for the taking, but lack of quality schemes and discipline prevented the ability to grab it.
  • Bit of a soapbox moment: But for those that claim NU can't win due to location, I present to you Wisconsin, Iowa of 2 years ago, Boise St, Washington St (off top of my head). None of these programs should be expected to win at a greater level than NU. Just need the correct leadership and coaching staff.

I really hoped Riley would figure it out this season and obtain/save this recruiting class. 

5 minutes ago, ebohnart said:

Are you a masochist then?

Or just someone who's joy and mood isn't so easily affected by a sports team winning or losing a game. 

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The games are still fun to watch, but at some point don't you want NU to Win?

Duh! My hope and desire for them winning is what makes it enjoyable. Sports aren't nearly as fun if you don't have a rooting interest.