With Wisconsin Performance, New Coach Guaranteed?

The loss to Wisconsin doesn't guarantee anything. However, a 21-point loss at home probably shoved a great deal of people that were on the fence into the get-a-new-head-coach category.

Personally, I think Riley would keep his job at 8-4, but that looks like a Herculean task now. I fully expect Ohio State to throttle Nebraska next week.

This season is eerily similar to 2007.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Hans Gruber said:

This season is eerily similar to 2007.

Eh, not really.  2007 was a combination of Riley's bad results and Pelini's bad attitude.

If the Huskers play like they did tonight I could see them going 7-5.  Probably wont though as they seem prone to playing to the level of competition, so 6-6 or 5-7 is probable.

Just now, Kernal said:

Eh, not really.  2007 was a combination of Riley's bad results and Pelini's bad attitude.

If the Huskers play like they did tonight I could see them going 7-5.  Probably wont though as they seem prone to playing to the level of competition, so 6-6 or 5-7 is probable.

After a 9-win season and a bowl loss to an SEC school, Nebraska felt confident for the next season because of a pocket-passing transfer quarterback. Sure they lost a lot of guys from the year before, but they'd finally have the right guy at quarterback. The head coach recently got an extension. Nebraska starts losing and their recruiting rankings don't add up to the product that fans see on the field. The AD gets fired before the midway point of the season. Nebraska fans clamor for a former quarterback to come back and be the next head coach.

It's not completely the same, but there are a lot of similarities.

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, Hans Gruber said:

After a 9-win season and a bowl loss to an SEC school, Nebraska felt confident for the next season because of a pocket-passing transfer quarterback. Sure they lost a lot of guys from the year before, but they'd finally have the right guy at quarterback. The head coach recently got an extension. Nebraska starts losing and their recruiting rankings don't add up to the product that fans see on the field. The AD gets fired before the midway point of the season. Nebraska fans clamor for a former quarterback to come back and be the next head coach.

It's not completely the same, but there are a lot of similarities.

Lots of people didn't like Callahan already by 2007 because of his arrogance, his refusal to replace Cosgrove and his comments about Osborne.  Most people like Mike Riley.  This season feels nothing to me like 2007.  We've had 10 more years of mediocrity since then and a new coach doesn't seem like the simple fix it did then.  I have no confidence the program will get fixed if Riley is fired this year.  But I also have very little confidence it will get where we want it to be if he's retained.

1 minute ago, Kernal said:

Lots of people didn't like Callahan already by 2007 because of his arrogance, his refusal to replace Cosgrove and his comments about Osborne.  Most people like Mike Riley.  This season feels nothing to me like 2007.  We've had 10 more years of mediocrity since then and a new coach doesn't seem like the simple fix it did then.  I have no confidence the program will get fixed if Riley is fired this year.  But I also have very little confidence it will get where we want it to be if he's retained.

No confidence the program will get fixed? Does it help knowing that essentially everyone that screwed things up since the early 2000s has been fired or retired? Harvey and Eichirst are gone. Pederson isn't making decisions. Whether you liked Osborne as an AD or not, he isn't making decisions either.

Nebraska may be in a better spot now than they've had in a while.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Hans Gruber said:

No confidence the program will get fixed? Does it help knowing that essentially everyone that screwed things up since the early 2000s has been fired or retired? Harvey and Eichirst are gone. Pederson isn't making decisions. Whether you liked Osborne as an AD or not, he isn't making decisions either.

Nebraska may be in a better spot now than they've had in a while.

And who hired all those people- the powers behind the curtains- are they still around?  Yes, I'm guessing they or people who think just like them are the same ones who will be pulling the strings today.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Kernal said:

And who hired all those people- the powers behind the curtains- are they still around?  Yes, I'm guessing they or people who think just like them are the same ones who will be pulling the strings today.

I forgot that Nebraska was the only school with big-money boosters.

1 minute ago, Hans Gruber said:

I forgot that Nebraska was the only school with big-money boosters.

I'm not sure why you decided to be a smart ass.  Were you unable to think of an intelligent reply?

Obviously all schools have powers behind the curtains.  But ours have managed to drive us into the ditch for nearly 20 years.  Until someone assesses those influences and how they have combined to keep NU foundering I don't see that anything will change.  We'll bounce to a new coach and the cycle will repeat.

• Plus1 1

Who cares. This program is a lost cause. Four loser coaches the last 20 years. Just let Riley retire here, it doesnt matter. The AD hire will be a dud and so will the head coach hire if you let Riley go. Never thought Id see the day whem we lose and I dont feel sadness or anything for that matter. 1-6 against Wisconsin since joining B1G. Woild rather have stayed in B12 and have our butts whipped by Texas. 

3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Lee looks great in a tshirt and shorts when he's throwing against air. Crap, I thought Matt Millen was going to blow him at halftime of tonight's game.  People fall in love with a big dude with a strong arm. Too bad he is terrible at making decisions. 

I lived in Detroit when Millen was GM. He wasted nearly every draft pick the lions had.