Lack of offensive creativity

I've been saying the same thing. I don't think we've seen a toss or an outside run this season! We almost always line up under center in a bunch formation and hand it off up the middle. 

It's okay to be predictable if the other team has no way to stop you. Our OLine doesn't give us that luxury.

45 minutes ago, melscott62 said:

As a chiefs fan I have seen the value of diverse pay calling.  We are so vanilla and predictable...where are the Screen passes....wr screen.....any run to the outside..... Jet sweep....anything.  These plays are effective and they keep the defense honest.

I agree with your point in general, except on screens to a running back. We've seen Nebraska try to throw screens since Riley arrived in 2015 and most have been disasters. There's no point in running screens to a back when they only work about eight percent of the time.

• Plus1 1
39 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

I understand what you are saying but Wisconsin ran the same damn play in the second half and we couldn't stop it. Play calling wasn't the issue... It was the teams desire to win.

Well that's what happens when you line up the same over and over to try to stop and off tackle play. When you're OLB's aren't squeezing down gaps on kickout plays, its gunna be hard to stop in a 3-4 vs a double TE formation.

That's kids not being put in the right position to win. Not the kids desire. That's bad coaching, and bad in game adjusting

55 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

I understand what you are saying but Wisconsin ran the same damn play in the second half and we couldn't stop it. Play calling wasn't the issue... It was the teams desire to win.

This cracks me up whenever I see it. If Harvard played against Wisconsin, they'd have a desire to win. The "they didn't want it as much" schtick is just silly. Psychology is a factor in football. It's not the #1 factor. It means 1 time out of 10 a team like Iowa State can beat a team like Oklahoma.

Wisconsin ran the same play because it worked. When you run plays that don't work, you get creative and try something new. I said the same thing during the game when we were still in it. We just run straight at the line every time. When it works every time, you keep doing it. When it doesn't, you don't.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, lo country said:

Here is a decent article on what characteristics make for a successful OC (HS and college).  Read these and see how many Langs really hits based upon upon what we have seen on the field the past 2.5 years......

http://footballscoop.com/news/11-characteristics-of-the-top-high-school-and-college-offensive-coordinators/

That's basically it, except for number 6, which they try to define but don't quite get there. Multiple is the word they want. "Balance" doesn't make you unpredictable, it's does just the opposite. There's nothing magical about equality, which is what balance implies, but there is value in doing multiple things, using multiple formations, throwing to multiple targets, having multiple run options, etc. I know it sounds picky, but I rail on this so much because this is exactly why Langs offense is so predictable. 

1 hour ago, SECHusker said:

The D was worn out.  We are thin on the line esp for a 3-4.  We lack a true experienced 3-4 dt and they exposed that.  And you know what would have helped that?  If our offense could have had some extended drives.  Even in the 90's with all of our talent we had to do things to keep people honest(give it to the fb....option pass)

1 hour ago, C N Red said:

Langsdorf is not that good. Answer me this, If we fire him how many teams will be lining up to hire him? Thats one good way to tell how good of coordinators and coaches you have.

I think people would want him as a qb coach.  He is a terrible coordinator though