Stop

2 minutes ago, Vitalis Jackson said:

So, who do you think the next experiment will be? Judging from the righteous outrage of this message board, it must be a former Husker player. We're looking for a savior here. Do you think that Riley's recruits will happily see him fired and just continue playing for the next coach? Or will they sulk and whine like Pelini's boys did after he was fired? The downward spiral continues . . .

You're right, it won't be all sunshine and roses. But I firmly believe sticking with a proven losing proposition is worse than trying something. Continuity and status quo only works if it's working. What we have right now is not working. If there were signs of improvement it would be a different story. There aren't and it isn't.

• Plus1 2
23 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I think changing the culture will will be the most challenging.  I wouldn't put it all on Riley though.  Under Bo I really believe the 9 wins became the goal and getting blown out didn't matter.  Charlie Strong had a difficult task at UT and I think he accomplished a lot in getting things turned around which Herman is benefiting from.

I think our next coach will get similar benefit. Say what you want about Riley and his "culture" but I think he has done good with team attitude and work ethic. I think if Riley is let go he will help ease the transition for the next coach with the players unlike Bo did. I don't think the next coach will have buy in problems because of Riley. If you thought Bo didn't cause culture problems Riley had to deal with then I don't see how you can say Riley has done that. 

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, Vitalis Jackson said:

So, who do you think the next experiment will be? Judging from the righteous outrage of this message board, it must be a former Husker player. We're looking for a savior here. Do you think that Riley's recruits will happily see him fired and just continue playing for the next coach? Or will they sulk and whine like Pelini's boys did after he was fired? The downward spiral continues . . .

That's the job of the new coach, he needs to win the players over by getting them to respect him. If they don't get on board then they should be sent packing.  Hardly a Nebraska only challenge, happens everywhere during a coaching change.

11 minutes ago, alwayshusking said:

That's the job of the new coach, he needs to win the players over by getting them to respect him. If they don't get on board then they should be sent packing.  Hardly a Nebraska only challenge, happens everywhere during a coaching change.

It's hard to field a team with only 42 players though. I agree, it would have been great to "fire" every Pelini recruit and start from scratch, but the numbers simply didn't allow it. Even so, I do agree that Riley wasted far too much time catering to those guys. Hell, he continued with Armstrong as starting QB despite his horrible attitude; however, given that we had no other QB's available, it was what it was I suppose.

1 hour ago, Hans Gruber said:

I understand what you're saying, but I'm not sure it will be that big of a deal. I think changing the culture is easier for a team that's losing because they want to be better. It's harder for a team that's winning to change culture because they think the old way works.

Riley struggled with changing the culture because Nebraska was winning 9 or 10 games every year before he was hired. If Nebraska goes 6-6 or worse this year and fires Riley, then the new head coach can use this cliched but generally accurate speech.

"We're going to do things my way. My way works. Look what I've done. Your way didn't work. That's why you stunk last year. If you don't like things my way, then there's the door."

Good observation.  I believe Frost's job at UCF was easier in regards to buy in for this reason.  He's probably already got a similar line that he could bring home.

2 hours ago, unlfan said:

This will be the tough part. Could take years to undo the damage Riley has done. They have been trained that losing is expected and acceptable. It’s toxic. The next guy has TONS of work to do.

I don't think there is anymore work to do than when Bo was shown the door.  The talent is better.

Most of these kids are already winners when they get here.  We just need a leader at the helm.

Edit:  and Riley is gozno.  No one will convince me otherwise.

• Plus1 1
47 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I think changing the culture will will be the most challenging.  I wouldn't put it all on Riley though.  Under Bo I really believe the 9 wins became the goal and getting blown out didn't matter.  Charlie Strong had a difficult task at UT and I think he accomplished a lot in getting things turned around which Herman is benefiting from.

I guess that's better than six wins being the goal and getting blown out didn't matter.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

I guess that's better than six wins being the goal and getting blown out didn't matter.

For sure.  I was fooled into believing Riley had cured the blowout thing and then OSU happened.  Too much half effort in that game to think anything had changed.

6 minutes ago, Frost Advisory said:

Right..because firing the man who hired him 3 games into the season just screams job security for MR.

Well we sure wouldn't want the coach knowing there are any expectations for results. Then it would be right in line with his coaching style of having no expectations for results. What were we thinking putting all that stress on a D1 P5 coach? Who knew that the right course of action should've been keeping Eichorst and extending everyone's contracts in perpetuity? We really screwed the pooch on that one.

48 minutes ago, Vitalis Jackson said:

It's hard to field a team with only 42 players though. I agree, it would have been great to "fire" every Pelini recruit and start from scratch, but the numbers simply didn't allow it. Even so, I do agree that Riley wasted far too much time catering to those guys. Hell, he continued with Armstrong as starting QB despite his horrible attitude; however, given that we had no other QB's available, it was what it was I suppose.

That seems a bit dramatic. Mike and his staff struggled to win some players over but not 30+ of them. Sending a few players packing won't kill the program.

• Plus1 1

For anyone to say “stop living in the 90’s” is ridiculous.  Having expectations that our current team should be able to compete and actually win games, even vs. teams like Wisconsin or Ohio State is what every fan should want (and our coaching staff too). We’ve taken a huge step back under Riley.  As others have said, he’s toast at the end of the season, maybe even sooner if next week gets embarrassing.  He looks absolutely lost on the sidelines and his lack of interaction with the players during games I think has been incredibly detrimental.  

• Plus1 1