What feels worse: Texas Jinx or Wisc Jinx

What Feels Worse - Texas Jinx or Wisc Jinx   

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 hours ago, HuskerMav11 said:

How about instead of making up our inability to beat a team on some sort of curse or jinx, we just get dadgum better at the stinking game? 

Solich curse, Texas Curse, and now Wiscy curse? You flipping kidding me? These aren't curses? These are the results of inept coaching staffs incapable of preparing their players for what it takes to win.

That goes without saying.    I think we all agree wt that. 

Agree - Wisc isn't a jinx - I just used that word for both texas and wisc in the OP just to express the frustration of loosing to both consistently. 

There are reason:

Texas- Undisciplined play and unprepared in many cases

Wisc:  they are just simply a better program than us now.

1 hour ago, Saunders said:

Wisconsin isn't a Jinx. We're not losing close games, or having flukey games.

We're getting our asses beat by a similar team because they coach and develop talent better than Nebraska. 

I agree, if by similar you mean similar to what we were 20+ years ago. We haven't been similar to Wisconsin in this century.

That is what makes it so frustrating because we have the ability to do exactly what they do and I believe we could do it even better than them if only we found the right leadership.  It will never be like 90's, or the 70's or 80's again for that matter, due to scholly limits and partial qualifier rules but we could get that identity back again and dominate the B1G West and regularly contend for the B1G conference and every once in awhile have a shot at it all. But we have to get an AD who has that vision (like Barry) and he has to get the coach who wants that to be the way. And then we just need some years of consistency where we can recruit to that system and return to the reload not rebuild mentality. If we've forgotten how to do it, Wisconsin has kept the model alive and well.

I never like losing but if I saw that system and goal in the background I sure could take it better and would be willing to give any HC attempting it a much longer time to achieve it. I don't believe the average Nebraska fan will ever truly embrace this pass first finesse BS we have had under MR and BC or the lack of identity we had with BP. That makes it tough to keep a guy around long enough to really develop the system we all want. How great would it be if we could do what Wiscy did to us in the 4th quarter? It's not impossible but it will require the right decisions very soon.

8 minutes ago, El Diaco said:

I agree, if by similar you mean similar to what we were 20+ years ago. We haven't been similar to Wisconsin in this century.

That is what makes it so frustrating because we have the ability to do exactly what they do and I believe we could do it even better than them if only we found the right leadership.  It will never be like 90's, or the 70's or 80's again for that matter, due to scholly limits and partial qualifier rules but we could get that identity back again and dominate the B1G West and regularly contend for the B1G conference and every once in awhile have a shot at it all. But we have to get an AD who has that vision (like Barry) and he has to get the coach who wants that to be the way. And then we just need some years of consistency where we can recruit to that system and return to the reload not rebuild mentality. If we've forgotten how to do it, Wisconsin has kept the model alive and well.

I never like losing but if I saw that system and goal in the background I sure could take it better and would be willing to give any HC attempting it a much longer time to achieve it. I don't believe the average Nebraska fan will ever truly embrace this pass first finesse BS we have had under MR and BC or the lack of identity we had with BP. That makes it tough to keep a guy around long enough to really develop the system we all want. How great would it be if we could do what Wiscy did to us in the 4th quarter? It's not impossible but it will require the right decisions very soon.

I mean similar talent.

Just now, Saunders said:

I mean similar talent.

Oh.....yeah I agree our talent is similar. But that just goes to show ya what having an overarching theme and good leadership can provide. Talent alone isn't worth squat. Talent without a good plan and guidance and development will get you beat by NIU at home, will make you have to pull a miracle out your arse against McNeese St. and it will get it handed to you against anybody with a pulse.

BTW, I know you know this Saunders so it isn't meant for you specifically.

• Plus1 1

Not even close.

Texas probably cost us two national championships, at least two conference championships, and generally ruined the overall psyche of the program every year it happened. I really think the it is the losses to Texas more than anything else that set the trajectory of this program back.....  while CU '01 still gets the notoriety, I still think the UT losses were more significant. Think of how the last 20 years might have been different if any one of those results flipped.

Win in '96 and Osborne probably retires with a fourth NC, assuming he doesn't retire a year earlier.

Win in '99, we are probably national champions. On that grounds, you'd probably think Solich would still be here.

Win in '02 and that team probably carries some momentum into the rest of that season and finishes with 9 wins instead of 7, keeping the streak alive.

2006 probably isn't as significant since we won the Big 12 North anyway, but it would have been a psychological victory all the same.

Win the 2009 CCG, then Pelini is probably still here too. 

And 2010 would have simply felt awesome, because of all the "revenge" hype surrounding it.... that was an undefeated, top 10 team that might have done good things going forward, until it completely crapped the bed.

Wisconsin is just a better team doing what it is supposed to do, and doing it well. There's no dumb, fluky stuff happening here (ok, maybe the pick six was).... if we were any good as a program, we'd be more competitive with them. The only game that really surprised me was the 70-31 thing; that was insane. But as things go right now, we are a poor matchup with them and the results generally show that. Ohio State bullies us just as much and probably will again this week. And in recent years, Iowa too. Honestly, we're just not a good program right now.

In a few of the Texas losses i thought we had the better team and we should win. We were capable and confident, a few breaks one way or the other would decide the game. None of the Wisconsin games felt that way to me especially this last one. They were the better team and they proved it. Right now  i  think we really need to focus on smashing lesser teams as we always did. Without that foundation,and confidence level its gonna be very hard to compete with the big boys. 

Texas cost us a shot at a three-peat in 96'.  I'm not sure what they cost us in 09' but it was a lot.  Wisconsin has whipped up on us with three different coaching staffs now which tells me that their coaching staff has nothing to do with it.  Barry Alvarez is one of our own, so I won't think ill of Wisconsin.

100% Texas. Imagine winning the 2008 Big 12 championship. Texas was arguably the best team in the nation (Colt McCoy got hurt right away in the national title and they weren’t the same) and we probably would’ve won our BCS bowl. We probably even win a championship in 2009 then and possibly in 2011 as well. Instead we haven’t won a conference since 1999. 

Texas felt way worse. There was a lot at stake and every game was a dagger. A lot of close, great games. And every time we almost see Nebraska pull off something amazing ('07...'09...), well, we don't get to. That '96 title loss was tough to stomach, but '99 was even worse. The 'Skers win a championship that year without it, IMO. '98 I think was a similarly close loss, and then there were the heartbreaks in the Callahan years. 2010. Just, sigh.

With Wiscy we've just been summarily outclassed on the regular. Can hardly call it a jinx. It's deflating but it's also a yeah, that happened. These last three games have been close and entertaining affairs (up until the 4th quarter steamroller). Hopefully we'll surpass them someday soon. 

When you guys talk about Texas - we'd probably wouldn't be in the situation we are now (and even talking about Wisc) if it weren't for some of those key and untimely losses.  Bo may be a winner and calmer because of it. Or Frank may have stayed around much longer - esp the 99 lose - I think a for sure NC would have raised his flag and perhaps we get better recruits who help us in 2001 vs Co and Miami.

All kinds of 'what ifs'.  Of course, had Tom won 4 NC  while playing for  5 in  a row that would have placed him on the top of most people's top 10 coaches of all time list.  Maybe he doesn't retire and he wins in 99.  The recent Bama run would be just a footnote.   But one can only speculate at this point.