Does MR need to reshuffle the coaching staff or keep it the same?

Does MR need to reshuffle the coaching staff or keep it the same?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like to see MR do to keep the Huskers improving?

• Make no coaching staff changes. Continuity is what this team has been missing and it has helped us in the past.
    • Give his assistants until the end of the year to show if they can improve their product on the field.
    • Make changes on the offensive side of the ball, (without naming names).
    • Make changes on the defensive side of the ball, (without naming names).
    • None of the above (looking for some other bigger change).

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2017 at 06:00 AM

Firing staff mid-season would technically give him more of a leg to stand on in terms of showing how serious he is at making the team as good as it can be. But honestly, with the firing of Eichorst and the expected trajectory of our remaining wins/losses I think that the writing is on the wall and that it doesn't matter.

Better playcalling would have/should have turned around the 14-0 deficit against Norther Illinois into a win. That game was so similar to losing to Illinois in 2015 where there was "wtf moment" after "wtf moment" on offense. We have an OC that said after Wisconsin that he thought it was 3rd & 4 in the red zone when it was actually 3rd & 2, thus causing him to call for the swing pass.

I just don't know how much it really matters given our expected trajectory.

• Plus1 1

He had his chance to hire whoever the hell he wanted and yet hitched his wagon to the same group that produced .500 level results for 20+ years. If he was as great of a football mind as people say, he shouldn't be having to fire his hand-selected coaches every year to save face. His time has come.

• Plus1 6

I think Riley really doomed himself by bringing basically the entire OSU staff with him. He's a pretty good recruiter and I like the idea of letting the assistants do their job without micro managing, but you need good assistants to do that. I'm not convinced we'd still be talking about his replacements if he chose a new staff coming here - Banker and the special teams coach (already forgot his name) cost him a lot of time, and Langsdorf may end up costing him the job. I don't believe he could have done it, but to be successful here he needed to build the staff from scratch.

• Plus1 1

It is beyond repair at this point.  Riley made his bed by bringing a staff here that was .500 at best and it has proven out.  He will leave here with a loosing record after this year.  He got rid of Banker but I see Cav and Langs as being too close to him - his identity is that offense.  It would be like telling Tom to fire his OC - which was himself and switch to the Wishbone.   I don't see MR firing Langs for sure.   However, it seemed like watching him on TV during the game that he is just 'riding this out'. That he knows he is out.  There was no expression, no excitement, no anger even on the sidelines.  He was just Uncle Joe watching the football game in the recliner with a bag of chips. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, fire mike said:

He had his chance to hire whoever the hell he wanted and yet hitched his wagon to the same group that produced .500 level results for 20+ years. If he was as great of a football mind as people say, he shouldn't be having to fire his hand-selected coaches every year to save face. His time has come.

I know Dirk is a 4-letter word around here, but in his Mad Chatter blog this morning, he says that Riley has turned Nebraska into Oregon State.  He did that with the coaches he brought with him in year 1, and he has done that with the approach of the team.  Instead of taking HIS COACHING UP A LEVEL with the Nebraska resources, he has taken Nebraska down to Oregon State's level.

• Plus1 6
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I know Dirk is a 4-letter word around here, but in his Mad Chatter blog this morning, he says that Riley has turned Nebraska into Oregon State.  He did that with the coaches he brought with him in year 1, and he has done that with the approach of the team.  Instead of taking HIS COACHING UP A LEVEL with the Nebraska resources, he has taken Nebraska down to Oregon State's level.

It's sad and pathetic, and we should've all known better in 2015 when simple clock management issues were leading to losses. That seems to be football IQ 101.

• Plus1 3

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

Good point.  That is exactly on target. The mantra was that MR with NU's resources would prove to be the next coming of Knute Rockne  - ok of Bob Devaney.  But that was the sell job of our now deposed AD.  He had to convince a doubting fan base that his hire of MR made sense.  So he fed us that 1. Mr was a great recruiter  2. He and Langs were QB whisperers. 3. His staff just needed the NU resources and tradition and they would quickly turn us into contenders.    Great coaches and great leader - coach and lead their teams to success regardless of the conference or current situation.  Success breeds success. If MR was all that great, he could have build success one floor on top of another even at Oregon State. He had many years to do so. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, Husker in WI said:

Anyone know who Wisky's O-line coach is? Does he want to be an offensive coordinator?

Hell, recruit the full staff including the HC.  They looked like old NU out there.  We could sell them on the fact that they wouldn't have to change colors.